October 01, 2014, 04:50:12 PM

Author Topic: What camera for walking/staggering in a St. Pat's Parade?  (Read 3768 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
What camera for walking/staggering in a St. Pat's Parade?
« on: February 06, 2013, 11:01:30 AM »
I'm not sure which forum would be best for this...hoping this is the place.

I have a 5D3...and I LOVE it.

However, coming up next month (I live in New Orleans), I'll be in the Irish Channel Parade in the Uptown area, for the St. Pat's parade...kilt and all.

As you can imagine, a St. Pat's parade in New Orleans, involves at least a little consumtion of adult beverages (and kissing pretty girls along the way, etc).

I'd love to take some pics during my parade...of said pretty ladies, and if nothing else, to help me to recall the next day, what the heck I ended up doing and where I went.

As you can imagine, I'd NOT want to carry and risk my nice and very $$$ DSLR...so, what would be a good alternative?  What could I get, bang for the buck for GOOD images...but in smaller format. Is there any type of point and shoot type all in one camera that shoots RAW? I'd think especially in a smaller camera, I'd want as much ability to edit in PP?

I'm not necessarily needing to go cheap...it doesn't have to only be $200 or less...

I'm looking for what I could get with as good a quality I could get, at a price point that wouldn't make me sick if I lost or broke it by accident.

I'd also think something like this might be nice to have for Mardi Gras (going on now)...as that on the parade routes, well, there is some drinking there, etc...and you sometimes get jokers on the floats that will really wing a big bag of heavy beads at you when you might be not looking (focusing through camera for instance) and whack you pretty bad...which could damage a nice 5D3.

So, what would be your suggestions for a good as you can get camera, but won't break the bank if something *did* happen to it...?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

What camera for walking/staggering in a St. Pat's Parade?
« on: February 06, 2013, 11:01:30 AM »

DArora

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
Re: What camera for walking/staggering in a St. Pat's Parade?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 11:56:16 AM »
If you looking for a pocket camera then Sony RX100 seems to be a really good choice. 1" sensor in pocket size camera and shoots RAW. Not really cheap though, comes for $650.

Other option can be Panasonic GX1 with 14-42 lens. You can grab that one for ~$400. Not pocket-able though.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »
Camera phones seem to be popular for things like this, otherwise a lightweight P&S like the GXX series or even the S series would take quality photos.  One of the Go Pro video cameras might also be interesting. Hands free and you get a closeup when kissing the pretty girls.  You might hide it in your hat.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 01:18:44 PM »
Camera phones seem to be popular for things like this, otherwise a lightweight P&S like the GXX series or even the S series would take quality photos.  One of the Go Pro video cameras might also be interesting. Hands free and you get a closeup when kissing the pretty girls.  You might hide it in your hat.
+1

I like the hide GoPro in hat idea!  Then perhaps carry a SX50 (or similar) for stills.  Tons of reach when necc.  Shoots RAW.  It would be useful other times as well.  Not so expensive to totally make you puke if it's lost or stolen.  Also, with that in mind, you might consider taking several memory cards and changing them often so if something happens to the camera, you'll have plenty of images safe in your pocket, not all in the camera that could end up missing or something.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

TonyMM

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 02:10:35 PM »
Amazon has a Canon s100 for $279.  Would be perfect -I use my S90 for all those forays where I don't want the bulky dslr stuff bumping and thumping.

Tony M

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 02:33:03 PM »
I like my iPhone for these sorts of excursions. I'm takin it with me anyway so may as well not have to carry something extra and in daylight it's more than acceptable. Plus I can do a quick edit with snapseed and off to whatever photo sharing site you like.

Niterider

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 03:39:55 PM »
Amazon has a Canon s100 for $279.  Would be perfect -I use my S90 for all those forays where I don't want the bulky dslr stuff bumping and thumping.

Tony M

I would recommend the Canon Powershot s100 as well. It can shoot raw and is small enough to put in your pocket when not in use. When I first read the forum, the Sony RX100 was the first camera to come to mind. The photos are similar to a dslr, but so is the price.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 03:39:55 PM »

enice128

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 04:13:26 PM »
Sorry to put my two cents in but a once in a lifetime chance to do this.....how can u NOT bring ur dslr??? These r the moments of why u paid good $ for good gear! As an example, I'm into sports photography so if I had the chance to ultimately shoot in a professional stadium or arena....u can bet ur ass I ain't NOT bringing all my gear! I can understand its a pain in ass to carry around but please take ur setup even it's a hassle or you'll regret it later! I got the chance to shoot for the Columbus Day Parade in NYC on a float & I brought my backpack which was a pain but I used 4 different lenses to get different points of view!
Canon 1D Mark IV / 50L 1.2 / 16-35L 2.8 II / 70-200L 2.8 II / 1.4x II / 580 exII

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 04:14:54 PM »
I like my iPhone for these sorts of excursions. I'm takin it with me anyway so may as well not have to carry something extra and in daylight it's more than acceptable. Plus I can do a quick edit with snapseed and off to whatever photo sharing site you like.
I'd do the iphone..but alas, mine is still an iPhone 3GS...and last pics I saw out of it were quite blurry....

I'll be waiting for the iPHone 5S which should be coming out in a few months....so, another camera is needed.

I'd looked at the Sony first recommended, sounds good,b ut OUCH...over $600 for a camera might be a bit much to lose.

I'll check out these other ones suggested here...

Thanks to all so far!!  The gopro in the hat sounds fun too...especially when putting the garters on some of the ladies along the route....
:)

twcull

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 04:21:30 PM »
Why not look into an outdoors point and shoot. Waterproof, drop resistant, etc. Nikon, Fuji, and Olympus make some decent ones.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 05:04:56 PM »
Sorry to put my two cents in but a once in a lifetime chance to do this.....how can u NOT bring ur dslr??? These r the moments of why u paid good $ for good gear! As an example, I'm into sports photography so if I had the chance to ultimately shoot in a professional stadium or arena....u can bet ur ass I ain't NOT bringing all my gear! I can understand its a pain in ass to carry around but please take ur setup even it's a hassle or you'll regret it later! I got the chance to shoot for the Columbus Day Parade in NYC on a float & I brought my backpack which was a pain but I used 4 different lenses to get different points of view!

You have NO idea how drunk we get on this parade.....(I"m IN the parade)...and I'd not want to risk falling down and breaking the camera, or somehow losing it....we have drinks all along the route, people give beers to you, and we stop IN bars along the route.

This is New Orleans....even pacing yourself, you get pretty trashed and I'd not wanna try that while carrying $5K of camera.

Not to mention, since I'm part of the walking (stumbling) parade, I'll be carrying all my beads and other throws in my neck and in packs on my shoulders, etc...so, I'm walking, drinking and throwing, and giving girls kisses along the route....

Not really the environment for $5K camera that you very well might get trashed enough to accidentally throw to the crowd...
:)

ChilledXpress

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 05:50:33 PM »
+1 for GoPro... Put it on a headband, set it and forget it. After your Irish Yoga, scrape yourself up, put your pants back on and check out what happened the day before  ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:52:43 PM by ChilledXpress »

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 05:51:06 PM »
Give up on raw's, and unless you're really trying, even give up on a still camera.  Setup 2-3 gopro's on yourself - hat, belt buckle, etc and let them run.  Find yourself a designated photog that's not part of the drinking and hope for the best.

Also, The Town Pants have a show at Le Bon Temps Roule on Friday at 10pm - great Irish drinking music (they played Seattle last Saturday).
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 05:51:06 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 06:31:34 PM »
+1 for GoPro... Put it on a headband, set it and forget it. After your Irish Yoga, scrape yourself up, put your pants back on and check out what happened the day before  ;)

LOL..... ;D
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Zen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 07:00:49 PM »
Try the Canon G 15 p&s, a really great little cam. Shoots auto or manual, has an electronic tele, etc. Uses SD cards and gets a ton of shots from a hot battery. Around $500 at your local Canon retailer.

good luck. Don't forget to carry ID on the big day.

Z

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 07:00:49 PM »