October 01, 2014, 03:29:23 PM

Author Topic: Canon to Update Firmware for 5D MK III and 1D X AF with Speedlight Assist Lamp  (Read 8307 times)

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

canon rumors FORUM

ewg963

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-105mm 70-200mm 2.8 Non IS, 100-400mm 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Oh thank you canon for finally acknowledging this out of the goodness of your heart. So june? July? October? :p
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sycotek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
I left the canon camp due to this primarily (PITA at weddings). Hopefully they fix the 12fps af servo issue on the 1DX but I am glad I didn't wait around for a fix.

infin8ti

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
I'm glad they've acknowledged the problem.   Not surprisingly, there wasn't much talk about this problem since a vast majority of users don't use flash in low light with the 5D Mark III.  And the ones that denied this thought it was normal since they had nothing to compare it to.  I thought I was the only one having this issue when my 5D (original) was locking on instantly with the AF assist compared to the 5D3.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Did they really just say what I think they said?

It may take slightly longer for the EOS-1D X digital SLR cameras to acquire focus when using the Speedlite’s AF Assist Beam, compared with that of the 1dx digital SLR cameras using the Speedlite’s AF Assist Beam.    :o
It is a obvious typo, I wouldn't belabor the point.

canon rumors FORUM

Chewngum

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • F1.6 is the best.
    • View Profile
    • Peter Kingsley Photography
I'm glad they've acknowledged the problem.   Not surprisingly, there wasn't much talk about this problem since a vast majority of users don't use flash in low light with the 5D Mark III.  And the ones that denied this thought it was normal since they had nothing to compare it to.  I thought I was the only one having this issue when my 5D (original) was locking on instantly with the AF assist compared to the 5D3.

I found this to be a major problem at a recent function I shot at. Without flash my Sigma 85 f1.4 focus near instantly but with AF assist beam it took half a second to respond and then hunted a little before locking. It got a little awkward for me since I was thinking my gear was playing up. Never thought I would still opt for >50% use of my 5d2 after I bought a 5d3. Without flash though, the 5d3 absolutely killed the 5d2 in every way. It takes longer to work out how to use it, but as a professional tool, you should be more than willing to customise and learn your gear properly.
Cameras: 5d2, 5d3
Lenses: 17-40L 24-105L 50L 100L s35A s85 70-200L IS II + lots of flashes. About 100 previous bodies/lenses

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I left the canon camp due to this primarily (PITA at weddings). Hopefully they fix the 12fps af servo issue on the 1DX but I am glad I didn't wait around for a fix.

Then why are you here??? ??? ???
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

Then why are you here??? ??? ???

+1 lol
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

jaayres20

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Joshua Ayres Photography
I wonder if our really long thread on here that has been going on for a few months that made its way over to the Canon forum had anything to do with this.  It would be nice to think that something we did made a difference. 

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
Great! Now give us red AF points, 1080 at 50p, and focus peaking without the need of magic lantern.

I used to think people complaining about the black AF points were just being whiny... then I got a 5DIII.  Yeah, it's way more annoying than I figured it would be.  So +1 for red AF points.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
After months of development and research at the massive canon R&D department we present to you, the professional consumer.....  An AF-Assist beam that actually works.  ;D ;D ;D

:|

canon rumors FORUM