April 20, 2014, 01:19:06 PM

Author Topic: anyone had someone over their shoulder on a job?  (Read 9956 times)

DCM1024

Re: anyone had someone over their shoulder on a job?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 11:49:05 PM »
It's pretty funny, take a look at the "The need for backup equipment for paid jobs" thread. The OP's website has quite a few photos with the bride/groom looking elsewhere... either another photographer or she was poaching and calling it her gig. Regardless... looks very bad!

I just saw this and took a look at my website. There are five photos where the bride and groom were not looking directly at me. Two are candids, I was acting as 2nd shooter in the other three and just getting another angle while not distracting the bride and groom from the primary photographer.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 11:49:05 PM »

Valvebounce

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2013, 08:21:24 PM »
During this last shoot the lady pestering me came over after the ceremony and even asked me if i had 4 aa's she could borrow for her flash. I didn't as i was eating batteries like crazy because the place was a blackhole, but really... you want to borrow bats?

Hi guys, first I'm a newby, and I hope you forgive me for digging up old posts, I'm really enjoying reading the older posts, and mostly only reading, but a few I have found a strong desire to pass comment.
I am strictly amateur if you take the earning thing to make a pro, but I try to take the act of freezing moments in time seriously, I do take gear to weddings, and have had the pro pass comment audibly but not to my face about that bloody flash, modified my behaviour to take account of his comment, as my friends were paying him, would have done it earlier if he had made me aware, one of those things I hadn't thought about until it was mentioned, very conscious of it now! I had the pleasure of donating a set of 4AAs to his fund as he forgot / burned through his spare set, I had 4 in the gun and 8 spares!
Another party was the inlaws xxth anniversary, I was primary photog as in, you have a nice camera don't you? Will you take some snaps for us!  :-X
One of the guests was a photog teacher, someone I would expect to be of "pro" level, she pointed out that I could be using my flash differently, it was off camera held aloft on a cord with a stofen at the time, and she suggested I should bounce from the ceiling, I suggested she look up, the ceiling was criss crossed with beams and had disco lights dangling all over, she still didn't get the significance until I explained about casting shadows!
What was that we used to say at school, can't do it, teach it?
Cheers, Graham.
7D Gripped, 40D Gripped*, *20D, 300D Saved a holiday now retired, *E-FS 17-85, E-FS 18-55 Kit lenses, Cosina 100-300, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 C, *50mm f1.8, 550EX some filters remotes tripod heads etc!
Still can't use most of it to its full potential! ;)  *=Purchased Used

paul13walnut5

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2013, 01:14:23 AM »
Slave flashes and other folks cameras are a killer.  I'm surprised at any working pro not using dedicated wireless or third party radio triggers inthis day and age though.  You only need one shoot ruined by camera phones and compacts to need the incentiveto buy alien bees or the likes, I would havethought begging deaf great grannies to disable their compacts flash would get rather tedious week in week out.

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 01:32:50 AM »
Slave flashes and other folks cameras are a killer.  I'm surprised at any working pro not using dedicated wireless or third party radio triggers inthis day and age though.  You only need one shoot ruined by camera phones and compacts to need the incentiveto buy alien bees or the likes, I would havethought begging deaf great grannies to disable their compacts flash would get rather tedious week in week out.

exactly right

I use odins for off camera and usually have 3 580 exii flashes setup when off camera
in this situation the tiny pop from a compact wont even register in the shot

or shooting with on camera flash its not a bother since i take multiple shots so the odd extra little bit of flash that might sneak in will have little effect or not really matter to me

I had a bigger issue at 1 wedding where the grooms sister decided she would direct the bridal party in all posed shots, until I informed her politely that we would rather give the instructions since we knew what we were looking for in the shots. She took it a bit hard at first but it had to be done
APS-H Fanboy

Chewngum

• Canon AE-1
  • F1.6 is the best.
    • View Profile
    • Peter Kingsley Photography
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2013, 07:04:19 AM »
A big tip if this is happening is that whenever you are not taking a photo point your camera at the ground and then point it at the subject when you are taking a photo. Since doing this I have had no problems with wandering eyes due to other cameras.
Cameras: 5d2, 5d3
Lenses: 17-40L 24-105L 50L 100L s35A s85 70-200L IS II + lots of flashes. About 100 previous bodies/lenses

Sith Zombie

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lightroom Images
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 07:22:26 AM »

no distracting eyelines during their stills.

the freelance photographer turned up and said "phuq me, nobody told me there would be a video guy here, if he gets in my way He'll be getting fling to phuq, who's the producer for this?"

Hand held out

"Hiya, nice to meet you, I'm Paul, i'm directing the shoot today, would you like to start again perhaps?"

Lol! Smooth as silk! nice  :D
Just out of interest what are 'the distracting eyelines'?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 07:22:26 AM »

Inspiron41

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2013, 08:18:02 AM »
Of course you'll have people looking your shoulders, especially with family members. You gotta be quick and smart about when you start your formals, whether it's at the house, church, park or at the reception. but at the same time, you gotta be respectful of their guests.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2013, 09:52:47 AM »
This is reality of life. We all need to learn to deal with it.

Learning to deal with it is as important as photography skills...!

Or become so so so great that everyone trusts you to be the best and then they stay away.

rpt

• 1D X
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2013, 10:47:38 AM »
This is reality of life. We all need to learn to deal with it.

Learning to deal with it is as important as photography skills...!

Or become so so so great that everyone trusts you to be the best and then they stay away.
Or get really tall ;)
Stilts could help. Lenses have IS these days to offset the wobble...

:)
 Sanj and Inspiron are right though...

lucuias

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Chan's Photography
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2013, 04:10:07 AM »
I get this alot when I shoot event and wedding.For wedding,I will face their friends and relatives tried to take some shot with their cell phone or compact camera.While events,I will face those reporters from various of newspaper.
Often,I will let them have the shot 1st then I lift up my camera and raise my hand asking everyone look at me with strong and firm tone.Just 1 or 2 shot make sure everyone looking into the camera and I will leave the place while allowing someone else take the shot.
Then,I grab some candid with my 70-200 while they were been photographer by others.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2013, 04:10:07 AM »