November 22, 2014, 10:45:46 PM

Author Topic: What's your definition of "Pro"?  (Read 11764 times)

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
Re: What's your definition of "Pro"?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 12:57:35 PM »
Make money out of it, always seek natural light whatever the effort involved and the ungodly hour to find it!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 12:57:35 PM »

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2013, 02:00:41 PM »
Someone who doesn't spend his/her time on forums, but out shooting/working  ;)

crasher8

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2013, 02:33:04 PM »
I get paid here and there. I do NOT consider myself a pro. I am more like a hobbyist with a business license who files a Schedule C and 179.

Pro for me has nothing to do with compensation, it is how I regard someone's skill set. Me, I'm 48, still taking classes and just enjoying what I do. No fanciful dreams of being a Pro someday.

Plato the Wise

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 02:33:22 PM »
I don't see this question as black and white as some.

There are so many different types of photography and markets for different types of photos that the term pro or professional doesn't really apply.

For example - Ansel Adams was a fine art photographer. He didn't shoot weddings or to my knowledge even do any commercial work. Would you consider him a pro? He studied music and probably was broke for the early part of his career.

Professors at University's very often produce fine art photos or do commercial work in addition to teaching. Are they not professional photographers because they don't make photos "Full Time."

I know many photographers who earn all of their income through photography and even their work is not so cut and dry. They sell stock, make fine art prints, shoot photos for ads, or work on portraits for politicians.

brett b

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 03:12:58 PM »
I don't see this question as black and white as some.

There are so many different types of photography and markets for different types of photos that the term pro or professional doesn't really apply.

For example - Ansel Adams was a fine art photographer. He didn't shoot weddings or to my knowledge even do any commercial work. Would you consider him a pro? He studied music and probably was broke for the early part of his career.

Professors at University's very often produce fine art photos or do commercial work in addition to teaching. Are they not professional photographers because they don't make photos "Full Time."

I know many photographers who earn all of their income through photography and even their work is not so cut and dry. They sell stock, make fine art prints, shoot photos for ads, or work on portraits for politicians.

I agree.

By most definitions detailed in this thread, I am a pro. However, many times I've had companies or people, who really like my work, attempt to hire me for jobs requiring photographic experience and skill that I don't currently possess...weddings and fashion mainly. While I could've taken these jobs, I think it would've been unethical to pretend that I was the best photographer for the job.

I guess my point is that professionals need to know their strengths and weaknesses and therefore set limitations on what jobs they agree to take. If I'm being paid to do something, I want to meet or exceed expectations. I would never want to let anyone down knowing that my skill wasn't up to the task. That said, you'll occasionally get an overly critical client who is impossible to please even though you know your work was excellent.

Not every pro can excel in every photographic medium. I know I'm very good in my area and if I want to add to my repertoire, I have to learn and practice enough to become skilled, competent and confident before selling it to a potential client.

I see many impressive, beautiful images posted on CR...from both amateurs and pros...which inspire me to try new things and continue to learn.

Pieces Of E

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon owners and operators
    • View Profile
    • Pieces Of E, LLC
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 03:14:18 PM »
Just jumped into this thread without reading the previous entries, but my definition of "Pro"? Getting paid for our work and having to pay TAXES on the income and equipment!  :(
EOS 7D, BG-E7, EF 300L IS f4, EF 100L IS f2.8 macro, EF 24-105L IS f4 , EF 1.4 extender MKIII, EF-S 10-22 f3.5-5.6, 70-200L IS f2.8 II, EOS-M, 22 f2 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS STM, EF 85 f1.8

Cptn Rigo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • rodrigomarta.com
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »
I respect a lot the term "Photographer", I still feel a little uncomfortable when people ask me if I'm one.

I'm a guy that loves to take photos, that's it.
5D MkIII + 35L, 85L, 135L, 70-300L, 24-70L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 06:04:32 PM »
Some people say that when somebody earns money with photography theyre "pro". Somehow i gotta think of the guy in the small store in my town whos doing like 95% Id card photos or such. He earns money by this but i still dont think he is a pro... :P

Alex

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2013, 06:33:33 PM »
The kit makes you a pro obliviously.  ::)

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 10:11:55 PM »
I'm curious. What does it mean to be a professional photographer?

To deliver professional results, and adhere to your commitments and contracts in a professional way, and to behave and conduct business in a professional way.  It doesn't matter if you shoot one wedding a year, or shoot one catalog a year... if you take the job, and act professionally, deliver professional goods, then you are a professional.

shunsai

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2013, 11:11:11 PM »
So many good and thoughtful replies! Thank you.
It's really not such a straightforward question, huh? The responses have given me a lot to think about.

Generally, I don't like the question when asked. I have ideas how I think about the term 'professional', but I can never be sure what people mean when they ask.

As for the answers you all have given, is that generally how you respond to others when asked? I mean, I don't imagine most people who ask are looking for a dissertation or our life stories on what it means to be a "pro". What are your default answers when asked?

I don't remember what I say, but it's probably something along the lines of: 'I do some paid jobs, but mostly photography is my hobby.' That's probably as succinctly as I'm willing to put it, short of "No".

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2013, 11:15:36 PM »
Its actually very a well defined term, its just that some want to bend the meaning for some reason or another.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2013, 11:17:28 PM »
Sure you can go with someone who makes money, but I think of a pro as someone who will get a really nice shot before lightroom.  Lightroom just takes it up a notch.  And this is in all situations... not just putting it on shutter priority and letting the camera do the job.  White balance, metering, shutter speed, aperture, bouncing light, etc.  And the the shots are unlike what most quality amateurs can get.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2013, 11:17:28 PM »

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2013, 11:18:47 PM »
I can drive a car... but I wouldn't race a car.  I can drive a taxi and get paid to drive, but it doesn't mean that I'm capable of performing at a high level.  Money doesn't define being a professional... it is the skill that is developed and honed to excellence.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2013, 11:33:01 PM »
Pro's are those who make money through photography.  I aspire to be an "ARTIST" though than a pro.  If I earn money through photography, then good.  If not, as long as I churn out good pictures for my collection, I'm fine with it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2013, 11:33:01 PM »