July 22, 2014, 04:22:06 PM

Author Topic: Big Megapixel Camera in 2014  (Read 40564 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Big Megapixel Camera in 2014
« on: February 07, 2013, 02:47:42 AM »

A new EOS-1 body in 2014

The latest we and others are hearing is that a large megapixel camera from Canon won’t be coming until 2014. This coincides with information that Canon would be releasing 3 DSLRs in 2013 and none of them outside of the APC-S segment.

Prototype cameras with sensors beyond 40mp do exist and are in the hands of very exclusive testers. However, we’re also told that a few lenses in the lineup will need updating before a large megapixel camera hits the market for Canon. No specific lens was mentioned, but I would imagine a full frame ultra wide zoom is one of those lenses.

From the same source as above, 4 new EF lenses will be coming in 2013.

Canon’s announcement date for a new EOS-1 may be dependant on when Nikon announces the rumoured 36mp D4x, Nikon cannot have two such cameras on the market while Canon remains quiet in my opinion.

EOS 5D X?

A faster update? One suggestion from a known source is that Canon has loose plans to replace and/or update the EOS 5D Mark III quicker than the previous iterations. Could we see one some time in 2014? I would think a direct replacement would be unlikely, however a small, high performance & higher megapixel DSLR would probably have a place in the market.

*Notice how I didn’t say “EOS-3D :)”

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Big Megapixel Camera in 2014
« on: February 07, 2013, 02:47:42 AM »

Jesse

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
Re: Big Megapixel Camera in 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 02:56:14 AM »
Gimme my 45mm TS-E L !!!
5D3, 8-15 f/4 L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L, 50 f/1.4, 70-200 f/4 IS L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8 L, 600EX-RT x2, CS6, LR5

heptagon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 02:58:01 AM »
Let me re-phrase that: [CR2] No big megapixel or new sensor in 2013.

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 03:17:47 AM »

A faster update? One suggestion from a known source is that Canon has loose plans to replace and/or update the EOS 5D Mark III quicker than the previous iterations. Could we see one some time in 2014? I would think a direct replacement would be unlikely, however a small, high performance & higher megapixel DSLR would probably have a place in the market.

I understand that at one point there will be a replacement for the 5D MKIII. It doesn't bother me that it will come faster than in previous cycle. The 5D MKIII is a GREAT camera that has at least a  lifecycle of 5 years. I am not in the professional league that may require latest technology to get the job done. EDIT: I am sure that professionals also not always require the latest technology to get the job done  ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:34:10 AM by candyman »
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

Apop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Apophoto
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 03:31:42 AM »
quite interesting, do you guys think they started development after the d800 was announced ( or they found out some months prior to it's release).

I would have expected canon to ''rush'' it and try to release one mid/late 2013.

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 04:31:17 AM »
I love the idea of a 5DX, and I really hope that Canons high MP body brings some improved DR and IQ together with all that resolution. If they release a high resolution camera with the same old low ISO DR and banding issues from the 5D2 / 5D3, it will be a complete waste.

I also hope they follow Nikon's example with the D800E, and give us a special edition without the image softening AA-filter. I couldn't care less about video performance, and the occasional moiré in photos can easily be removed with new tools in Lightroom.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:37:41 AM by Ricku »

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 04:34:57 AM »
Looking forward to the high mega pixel body :)
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 04:34:57 AM »

M.ST

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 04:49:09 AM »
The big megapixel prototype from Canon is outstanding in image quality, a little bit to slow for me, but the bottle neck are some lenses.

The D4X is also a very good camera. If Nikon maybe put the D4X this year on the market, then Canon has to change the plan to update some lenses before or some/many photographers get lost. But the best camera is worthless with lenses that are not up to date.

After my mail to the Canon development department a week ago they are now very hectic and want to accelerate their developments.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 05:02:17 AM »

After my mail to the Canon development department a week ago they are now very hectic and want to accelerate their developments.

yes but that was last week!
after my mail to canons head of R&D and my explanation why i need a better S110 they will focus on that. they are in a real hurry now to make better P&S cameras.. DSLRs are on ice....
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 05:07:15 AM »
Yes...  And people said it wouldn't happen... 

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=12606.msg224974#msg224974

I don't think development of the big-MP camera started when Canon got wind of the D800. I think the sensor technology R&D may have been delayed due to the tsunami. So now they are behind Nikon.

Canon HAS to come out with brand new tech to keep the FF market profitable. Or go into the MF market.  And it doesn't look like they want to do that. Once this new sensor tech. is released, don't be surprised in three to five years that they stop making APS-C cameras and go solely FF for DSLRS.. Even the Rebels. There is only so much more tech they can cram into the Rebel. Don't be surprised if the next Rebel is the last with an APS-C sensor.

I'm fine with the big-MP Canon coming out in 2014...  But Canon has gotta hurry it up a bit. That rumored Nikon D4X looks to be my perfect big-MP camera and its going to look very juicy to many. The 1Dx is a fine camera. But its a sports-shooter. For us fashion-types, we want more MP and DR. I would bet that nature-types are in the same boat.

I don't think the longer-term Canon pros would switch, but this could put Nikon in a really good spot in the market for the next several years...  Canon should announce and the big MP camera before the D4X. That would take some of Nikons thunder when they release the D4X.

Please Canon, come out with something that there is no question what is the best big MP-FF pro cam out there.
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 05:10:06 AM »
There is only so much more tech they can cram into the Rebel. Don't be surprised if the next Rebel is the last with an APS-C sensor.

yeah.. sure....  ::)

The 1Dx is a fine camera. But its a sports-shooter. For us fashion-types, we want more MP and DR. I would bet that nature-types are in the same boat.

well some time ago i asked david noton (who switched from nikon to canon years ago) if he will switch back to nikon if canon does not produce a high MP DSLR.

he wrote back .. NO he wont.. he don´t need a 36 MP camera.
and the investment he had to make for this switch would not make sense.

well david noton is a professionell landscape photographer... what does that say?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Noton_(photographer)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 05:16:07 AM by Canon-F1 »
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 05:54:46 AM »
Interesting about a quicker sideband "refresh" of the 5D line. I wonder if that is because Canon is finally ready to move to a newer 180nm process, and want to get all of their cameras on it sooner rather than later. I, for one, would happily spend a few grand on a high MP, high frame rate, 5D X (or whatever it ends up being called) if it had reduced read noise and competitive DR (i.e. at least 13 stops).
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 06:16:26 AM »
Interesting about a quicker sideband "refresh" of the 5D line. I wonder if that is because Canon is finally ready to move to a newer 180nm process, and want to get all of their cameras on it sooner rather than later. I, for one, would happily spend a few grand on a high MP, high frame rate, 5D X (or whatever it ends up being called) if it had reduced read noise and competitive DR (i.e. at least 13 stops).
I can see that you want such a product (dont we all), but what makes you think it will be high framerate? "Big megapixel camera" makes me think that it is to be a D800/MF killer for landscapes/macro, and that framerate/AF/high-ISO will be less prioritized.

I think it will be high frame rate because high frame rate is what Canon does better than anyone else. I have also been poring over Canon patents for the last month, and they seem to have quite a number of parallel readout and parallel pixel processing patents for high speed readout of high megapixel count sensors. Canon has also prototyped a 120mp sensor with a 9.5fps readout rate using some combination of block and row/column parallel readout and on-die image processing.

I see no reason why that technology could not be applied to a "measly" 30-40mp FF sensor to achieve at least 6-8fps. I also see no reason why ISO range would have to suffer. High ISO capabilities are not mutually exclusive with low ISO capabilities. On the contrary, high ISO is limited by physics, while low ISO is limited by electronic noise sources. Canons maximum well capacity is already more than high enough to fully exploit 14 bit data, as well as fully exploit 16 bit data...the only thing in the way is their high read noise. That could be solved with a parallel digital readout approach that applies digital noise reduction similar to Sony. If Canon solves the noise problem, they could easily have both quality high and quality low ISO performance.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 06:16:26 AM »

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 06:55:41 AM »
I'm looking forward to it, and will certainly buy one. Canon does a careful job of maintaining its product line and leaking out features, so in another year we'll have another round of features and high MP to boot. What's not to like?

I hope its in a 1D body too, I've always wanted one of those. Given its targeted at the Studio/Fashion/Landscape shooters it makes sense.

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 07:11:37 AM »
I can see that you want such a product (dont we all), but what makes you think it will be high framerate? "Big megapixel camera" makes me think that it is to be a D800/MF killer for landscapes/macro, and that framerate/AF/high-ISO will be less prioritized.

I think it will be high frame rate because high frame rate is what Canon does better than anyone else. I have also been poring over Canon patents for the last month, and they seem to have quite a number of parallel readout and parallel pixel processing patents for high speed readout of high megapixel count sensors. Canon has also prototyped a 120mp sensor with a 9.5fps readout rate using some combination of block and row/column parallel readout and on-die image processing.

I see no reason why that technology could not be applied to a "measly" 30-40mp FF sensor to achieve at least 6-8fps. I also see no reason why ISO range would have to suffer. High ISO capabilities are not mutually exclusive with low ISO capabilities. On the contrary, high ISO is limited by physics, while low ISO is limited by electronic noise sources. Canons maximum well capacity is already more than high enough to fully exploit 14 bit data, as well as fully exploit 16 bit data...the only thing in the way is their high read noise. That could be solved with a parallel digital readout approach that applies digital noise reduction similar to Sony. If Canon solves the noise problem, they could easily have both quality high and quality low ISO performance.

Thanks for your post, jrista.

Now THAT sounds logical... and promising!

I keep my hopes up.  Currently a happy 7D user, but always looking to technological advances helping my  future photography.

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 07:11:37 AM »