August 28, 2014, 03:08:51 AM

Author Topic: Switching to Nikon  (Read 21593 times)

Benhider

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Switching to Nikon
« on: July 17, 2011, 11:35:24 AM »
I know this is possibly not the perfect place to discuss this, but I've had such bad experience with cps and and sick of the focus issues with my 5d mark ii that I've seriously thought about switching to nikon.

I own 2 x 5D mark ii's, 16-35 2.8ii, 24-105, 70-200 2.8 ISii, 50 1.2 and 24 1.4.

As you can see I'm pretty deep into the canon family, but I'm finally becoming sick of the poor focus, small spread of focus points and the bad service of gear.

I borrowed a mark iv on my platinum cps, and although I was initially impressed, my conclusion was not amazed, and the color profile of the camera is odd compared to 5d's.

What do other people think. Has anyone made the switch, or looked into it seriously. What's the user experience with the nikons. Color profiles? Focus?

chito

Re: Switching to Nikon
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 12:59:13 PM »
I don't know much about Nikon.. but I think you should wait until the new FF cameras are out before you decide to make the switch...  There should be something out and in use before the summer Olympics ..   If you are still disappointed after that then you can switch knowing that Canon will probably wait another 4 years for a pro refresh...

ghstark

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 02:08:18 PM »
Bought a Nikon D3S for the same reasons focus & white Balance(Colour)  it's a great camera focus is exellent(not perfect) & colours out of the camera are great.But Colours are a personal choice what you may prefer or not. I still have the 5D MK2 with 50mm f1.4,70-200 f2.8 isII (Amazing Lens) & 28-105f3.5/4.5 with 2 580 flasguns and don't plan to sell them but for my Wedding Work i am using the Nikon D3S most of the time now..

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 02:49:41 PM »
I know this is possibly not the perfect place to discuss this, but I've had such bad experience with cps and and sick of the focus issues with my 5d mark ii that I've seriously thought about switching to nikon.

I own 2 x 5D mark ii's, 16-35 2.8ii, 24-105, 70-200 2.8 ISii, 50 1.2 and 24 1.4.

As you can see I'm pretty deep into the canon family, but I'm finally becoming sick of the poor focus, small spread of focus points and the bad service of gear.

I borrowed a mark iv on my platinum cps, and although I was initially impressed, my conclusion was not amazed, and the color profile of the camera is odd compared to 5d's.

What do other people think. Has anyone made the switch, or looked into it seriously. What's the user experience with the nikons. Color profiles? Focus?

The Grass is always greener ---  Check some of the Nikon forums to find out what they think of Nikon Service.  Many switch to Canon due to poor service, and what they feel is the obsolete low resolution bodies.

Personally, I'd be equally happy with either brand, I just happened to get a Canon Rebel DSLR when they first came out, and now have a huge Investment in Canon lenses.  The 15 or 20 Canon DSLR bodies I've had since then were fine, and also the many lenses I've had.  Same with two or three Nikon DSLR's and lenses.  I did have to have a Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 repaired, but it had issues when I bought it for a very low price, so after the fix, it was still cheap. 

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 03:45:01 PM »
As the owner of Nikon cameras in the past and a Nikon scanner still, I have experienced both Canon and Nikon service. I have to say that for me Nikon beats Canon on every front using this measure.

However, I suggest you have a look at some of the Nikon forums. There seems exactly the same discontent about the product as we see on the Canon forums. I suggest that this is more of a reflection on peoples hopes measured against realities than any actual benefit or problem of either marque.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 03:58:20 PM by motorhead »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 07:01:41 PM »
Nikon has the clear edge right now in terms of AF, FPS, and high ISO performance in the $2,500-and-up segment. Like you, I've considered making the switch recently,  but decided that since I've toughed it out this long, I might as well wait a few more months until Canon makes some major announcements and reveals its strategy for the 1D and perhaps the 5D series bodies.

Your needs may differ, but a huge consideration is how much comparable Nikon glass would cost compared to the Canon gear you have now. My primary lenses are the 17-40L, 24-105L, and the 70-300L. In pricing out what it would cost to cover a similar range of focal lengths with Nikon glass, Canon lenses seemed like a much better value. Then there's all the little BS that needs replacement which will add up quickly, like flashes, cable releases, filters, wireless triggers, etc.

To put it succinctly, for my shooting needs - where I'm willing to sacrifice megapixels for superior AF, ISO, and FPS - I think Nikon has superior bodies at the moment. However, I still think Canon has a better overall system, and the momentum will shift once again after Canon updates its bodies. 

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 10:43:57 PM »
I think the best is to rent an entire set for a short period and try them out.

Say, D700 + 14-24, 24-120, and 70-200.

Despite a small investment, obtaining your own experience is probably more
accurate than anything else.
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 10:30:41 AM »
I think the best is to rent an entire set for a short period and try them out.

Say, D700 + 14-24, 24-120, and 70-200.

Despite a small investment, obtaining your own experience is probably more
accurate than anything else.

I would concur this sentiment... Play with the equipment first before you jump ship so you dont have buyers remorse later.  Like you i use CPS and canon service regularly, (gold member)... CPS has worked with me in the past given me whatever loaner gear I requested whenever I requested it and when I've called for support they have been more than willing to help... That being said, there's a lot of room to be improved such as email support (they sometimes reply to me via email, other time not) and communication during service work... I usually get an email when they confirm they are STARTING work, not when received which can be 24 hours afterwards, and an email after it ships... almost all my service work was done within 24 hours from when they start and also while they claim they will ship it to you via 2 day service, 9 out of 10 times for me, they ship it overnight for free...

Is CPS perfect?  No.  Will they cater to your every whim and email or kiss your butt?  Nope.  For what they offer and cost, is it more than acceptable?  Sure... For full disclosure, what issues do you have with CPS to give you a bad experience?  With the AF problems, even with the 1d4, you said you were initially impressed but overall not content... how so?  Can you elaborate so we can best help?  The 5D AF is the primary reason why i wont consider upgrading from the 7D to the 5D MII... If the 5D MIII has the 7D AF or better, I will upgrade in a heartbeat.   
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

ChuckBrix

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 08:58:28 AM »
There is a rumour (I am English hence the spelling) that I will stick with Canon.
Been with Canon since 1978, too much tied in now to change, but do I need to change.
You just have to watch the TV news and sport especially in Europe to spot all the white lenses and red ring lenses, all the Canon L range.
If its good enough for them I am sure I can manage with what Canon have.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 09:14:08 AM »
There is a rumour (I am English hence the spelling) that I will stick with Canon.

do not EVER apologise for spelling something correctly  :o :o

meanwhile, i've had my bad dealings with canon service, took my 3-month old 7D back to get fixed for dead pixels, and despite clear instructions saying where they were, i had to send it back a total of 3 times before they were gone. I could even tell they'd taken photos to test (the 2nd time) because the numbering was wrong. yet they still sent it back for me to return to them a 3rd time.
(then when i got it back after the 3rd, no dead pixels, AF on every lens didn't work. thankfully a 'restore to factory settings' fixed that)

then i rewarded them for that a few months later by buying a 70-300L. and my 7D rewarded me again by killing more of its pixels.
sigh.
sometimes i think i'm gonna bail to another company, but i doubt they'd have any better luck...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 10:16:03 AM »
I get the impression that dead pixels are a fact of life, a cross we must bear, regardless of marque.

Hopefully over time, as the technology matures, they will get better.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 10:36:52 AM »
While dead pixels are on the same ranges of death and taxes, on a 3 month old camera would raise some hairs on my neck.  They probably set the camera to "map out" the pixels and fill them in with surrounding data (instead of replacing the sensor), but it is what it is.  While I haven't had any overtly negative experiences, my cleanings and warranty repair has been somewhat satisfactory before... I cant speak for nikons service or any other service, but it's just my opinion overall "service" has kinda deteriorated over the last few years across the board for all companies.  I bought a TV from best buy and it had dead pixels in a cluster and they sent out their techs and determined it was a fluke that wasn't covered by my extended warranty... tough luck.. If you aren't doing something warranty related, I recommend sending stuff for repairs to mom and pop stores... more service, they tend to go over and beyond to meet your needs, and in this economy they need all the work they can get. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

gene_can_sing

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 12:23:45 PM »
Canon stopped innovating after the last 5D2, and will not start again until the 5D3 coming Summer of 2020.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:10:10 PM by gene_can_sing »

UncleFester

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 12:34:42 PM »

You didn't say what focus issues you're having.  Low light? Moving? A particular lens?

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 12:39:59 PM »
if you wanna go to nikon just go dont bitch about it just leave