October 01, 2014, 10:37:42 PM

Author Topic: Switching to Nikon  (Read 21807 times)

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Switching to Nikon
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 12:50:15 PM »
I feel that the cost to switch from Canon to Nikon or Nikon to Canon is just too much to justify. The cameras that both companies have out right now are amazing (even though some are old) and so similar it makes it difficult to even come up with a good reason to switch in my mind.

You can take absolutely brillant pictures with a Rebel or a D3100. Even better on a 5D Mark II or a D700. And, yes you can start lusting after the autofocus points of the D700 if you want to. But you could also spend that time shooting with the camera you have and perfecting your craft.

I understand techno-lust. It's the reason I have a 70-200mm f2.8 IS II and if I had to do it again I wouldn't. But if someone comes up with a good reason to switch to Nikon the that is ok by me. I just think we need to be on guard against replacing logical reasoning with a lust for new stuff.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 12:50:15 PM »

WarStreet

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 02:34:52 PM »
I'm not a still photographer, but more of a video guy. And unless Canon comes out with a very long over-due video DSLR or video camera, I too will be switching to Sony. Berger engineering is coming out with an EF to Sony mount for all my nice Canon glass, and when that is released (prototypes are already out), good bye Canon.

I think Canon is really starting fall behind their competitors with very dated tech especially in video, which they refuse to update or improve. It completely boggles my mind how Canon fumbled the large sensor video market that they accidentally invented, and let Sony and Panasonic take it over. Their handling of the video segment, which they should have easily owned, shows the serious flaws in their management and pro-market business strategy.

To blow something that was lucrative and easy for them, just shows what type of company Canon is, a company with no vision, but only a name for the masses.

With all respect, I think you are too negative. Does Nikon, Sony and Panasonic have a FF DSLR with video capability at the same price of the 5DII ? As far as I know only the newer and expensive D3S has video with only 720p and I don't think it is considered as a great video camera for the price.

Nikon was lagging against the 5D, a first FF camera with cheap price. Eventually they released the D700, And Canon had the luxury to wait, and release a bit later the new 5DII with video capability. If the 5DII was released slightly before, we might have never seen video in it which started a new trend during the last years. These means Nikon are lagging again with the D700, and Canon has the luxury to play the same game, waiting and release something few months later with that extra feature which can be used for another 3 years.

I think they know what they are doing, and don't agree they accidentally invented the FF video market, or that they have no vision, but that they are playing a great chess game! At first insight it might look equal, but in reality they have an advantage and they are in control of the game by maintaining that advantage. Once the new entry-level FF cameras are released, We should see if they managed to maintain this advantage or not. Personally, I think Sony will release something impressive, and it's going to be a difficult game for Canon, but a competitive one for sure ;)

I understand that you are frustrated and that you have your needs, but the update cycle is dictated by the market, and we all know and expect an update after 3 - 3 1/2 years. This is not a delay, it is expected. The new tele-lenses are delayed. If there is a good alternative for you before the 5DIII release, you should go for it, since we won't see an upgrade before the 3 years.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:41:25 PM by WarStreet »

UncleFester

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 04:01:43 PM »
I think a lot of people figure if the load up on gear that their particular style/genre of photography will magically appear. And when it doesn't they start blaming it on the equipment.

The 5dII has it's short comings, I should know, but it also has it's strengths and it's our jobs to decide what goes where and which tool for the job.

Each brand is very capable.

Tommygun

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 06:35:12 PM »
Agreed that Nikon and Canon are notably similar, and that Canon is in the driver's seat. That Birger (not Berger) adapter is for the AF100, which though nice, is not a still camera - so really different ballpark.   Perhaps where Canon has fallen behind is in the autofocus realm (again Sony); but I still think the footage from the 5DII is on par, albeit manually focused.  Moreover, if you've got a lot of Canon glass and you're looking for an adapter for it to use on other cameras, you're still stuck with manual focus - so no reason to switch!

KBX500

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 10:03:38 PM »
if you wanna go to nikon just go dont bitch about it just leave

He's not "bitching." He has respectfully requested opinions on
his dilemma. How can you possibly have a problem with that ?

canon1969

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 10:18:54 PM »
I agree... you should leave Canon and sell me your primes in a fire sale!   ;)

Flake

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 11:56:35 AM »
For me the 12 MP of the D series is now far too low.  Yes you can eke a little more Iso performance, but it's only about half a stop better than the 5D MKII and it also has a weaker bayer matrix because it's more of an action oriented camera (same for the 1D MkIV).

My niggles with Nikon are mostly sensor based the current affordable models are old and have poor resolution, the higher resolution sensors are supplied by Sony & as they are apparantly looking to pull out of FF I feel that this might cripple Nikons ability for future development.

As for autofocus, I have no doubt that Canon crippled the 5D MkII with a poor autofocus system, possibly because of the 1D MkIII issues, but the 7D has a much better system.  I tried a 5D MkII against a D700 both with Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 lenses at night.  The Nikons autofocus gave up long before the 5D did in low light, so I think it's not as clear cut as you might think.

The other issue is the price & choice of lenses.  With Canon there are 3 x 50mm primes 4 (there was 5) 70 - 200mm zoom lenses, and more importantly a reasonably performing standard zoom with IS an option not available to Nikon users.  Prices are roughly 25% higher than equivalent Canon models and availability is sometimes patchy.  There's no equivalent to the MP-e 65mm, the Tilt shifts are tilt or shift (not both at the same time), there are no equivalents to the very fast primes (50mm & 85mm f/1.2).

While it's the photographer who makes the shot not the camera gear, I'll be sticking with the Canon stuff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 11:56:35 AM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »
I know I will be dating myself to some newer photographers, but when I was in college, at the beginning of the digital revolution, my school had several Nikon D1x's and only a few Canon D30's... The D30's were more of an afterthought as far as the school was concerned... you can use them if you wanted, but why would you when you have the nikon d1x workhorse... It would be only about 2-4 months until canon either released the Canon D60's (or 2-4 months when my school got around to buying them, not sure which).  Anyways after learning the D60, everything from menus to interface to lenses to everything was so much nicer, in my opinion, to the nikon and so I stuck with canon and bought my first canon digital when the 10D came out.  It could have changed but I just hated Nikons interface and menus... It was like photoshop, there was 5 menu things that did the same friggen thing and each could counteract each other... I never got comfortable with the D1x. 

Canon does have it's bumps and the grass always seems greener on the other side, but remember it could just be a mirage...

Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 07:53:42 PM »
I know I will be dating myself to some newer photographers, but when I was in college, at the beginning of the digital revolution, my school had several Nikon D1x's and only a few Canon D30's...

Dating yourself? i think you're dating yourself young, and at a rich school to boot.
My school's photography lab consisted of a bunch of film cameras, i thought slr, but could be rangefinder, i think olympus, i know they had selenium light-meters in a circle around the lens (although now all i can picture in my head is my dad's Petri 7S).
When i was at the end of highschool (finished 2000), they forked out a mint for a digital camera, i think i was allowed to touch it once. It had a freakin 1.44mb floppy drive in the back (which says a lot about the camera size, and image size too).

And i was at one of the most expensive (top-5) private schools in the state, $8000 a year it (should have) cost my parents (i was on a scholarship). We had a nice darkroom, and i think that beat every other school's facilities as it was...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 11:11:30 PM »
I know I will be dating myself to some newer photographers, but when I was in college, at the beginning of the digital revolution, my school had several Nikon D1x's and only a few Canon D30's...

Dating yourself? i think you're dating yourself young, and at a rich school to boot.
My school's photography lab consisted of a bunch of film cameras, i thought slr, but could be rangefinder, i think olympus, i know they had selenium light-meters in a circle around the lens (although now all i can picture in my head is my dad's Petri 7S).
When i was at the end of highschool (finished 2000), they forked out a mint for a digital camera, i think i was allowed to touch it once. It had a freakin 1.44mb floppy drive in the back (which says a lot about the camera size, and image size too).

And i was at one of the most expensive (top-5) private schools in the state, $8000 a year it (should have) cost my parents (i was on a scholarship). We had a nice darkroom, and i think that beat every other school's facilities as it was...

You are both youngsters.  We used a graflex 4 X 5 back in the late 1950's/ early 60's in high school.  Also a TLR or two.

The Graflex took good photos though.  Here is a scan of one from 1960 that I just did for our upcoming 50th reunion.

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 05:25:22 AM »

yes i do have a problem if you wanna switch just switch don't go seeking attention in canon forums I'm sick of it if you go to nikon rumours they like to slate us they stick together and its clowns like this that annoy me as far as I'm concerned canon make the best yes the focus system on the 5d mk2 may not be the best but i wonder how much of peoples problems are actually down to user error id say a lot of them.so what I'm saying is if anyone want to switch to nikon then goodbye and good ridens sell your gear make us happy then get outta here :D

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »

What school did you go to if you don't mind me asking? I graduated from Brooks in 04. It wasn't the cheapest school, that's for sure, I was dearly reminded every time my student loans came up for renewal.  The first half of school was all film from 35mm to medium format to 4x5's and then I switched to digital cause post was so much easier than our darkrooms and cheaper. Our instructors were Pains in the butt, but was a good reality to industry expectations...  If your photos were not up to par or if you pissed them off, it wouldn't be uncommon to find your photo assignments in the classroom trash can.  If your overmat you were required to cut for assignments was overcut or your mounting job wasn't glued on enough where they can peel up a corner, they'd rip if off... But after the years of abuse I'm kinda hardened to harsh critiques.  It was rumored that one instructor was so peeved with his class that at the end of the class/term he passed out McDonalds applications to all the students. 

God forbid I bring up film on these forums, it might as well be a f word. I've noticed on these forums there are 2 types of photogs. Those who are Pre-digital and used film and post digital who never shot with film. I'm just enough into the pre digital to be labeled an old timer in many photogs perception.  It's kinda depressing how many "professional" photographers there are who never shot film.  Film you had to know exposure/printing/darkroom because if you screwed up camera exposure, you had to adjust your film development... If you didn't do that, you had to use stronger filters in printing or else it came out like crap and it literally cost you time and money to fix your mistake.  Now people complain about time in post-processing in photoshop now... It just makes me chuckle thinking about the hours in the darkroom testing and trying to get the perfect print and the tiniest thing able to screw it up. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:06:31 AM by awinphoto »
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 10:12:09 AM »

yes i do have a problem if you wanna switch just switch don't go seeking attention in canon forums I'm sick of it if you go to nikon rumours they like to slate us they stick together and its clowns like this that annoy me as far as I'm concerned canon make the best yes the focus system on the 5d mk2 may not be the best but i wonder how much of peoples problems are actually down to user error id say a lot of them.so what I'm saying is if anyone want to switch to nikon then goodbye and good ridens sell your gear make us happy then get outta here :D

God forbid we bring up user error.  =)  It can NEVER be user error because we all know that world class AF has been around for, what 30-40 years?  What?  It hasn't?  Well maybe the early 90's?  What?  No?  Well then how the heck did photographers EVER focused without a worldclass AF?  Ok I'm off my soapbox now...

I kinda have my perception people who post things like this really are peeved BUT waiting for someone to talk them out of it... Secretly hoping some high up CEO of Canon is snooping on Canon Rumor and come across his thread just to shower them with gifts and kissing his rump to stay.  Dont let them get to you. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 10:12:09 AM »

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 10:50:42 AM »
yes i do have a problem if you wanna switch just switch don't go seeking attention in canon forums I'm sick of it

I agree. I really don't care what camera anyone uses. My first reaction when I read the original post was: "Go tell someone who cares." If someone wants to switch camera brands, that's their choice. I'm not going to try to talk them out of it. It's a personal choice based on all sort of rational and irrational factors.

Besides, there is absolutely no possible useful advice anyone on a forum can give beyond: "go rent the other brand for awhile and try it out."

In fact, I would suggest someone set up a internet robot that automatically writes that response anytime anyone on any forum asks about switching brands.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 11:19:01 AM »

God forbid we bring up user error.  =)  It can NEVER be user error because we all know that world class AF has "been around for, what 30-40 years?  What?  It hasn't?  Well maybe the early 90's?  What?  No?  Well then how the heck did photographers EVER focused without a worldclass AF?  Ok I'm off my soapbox now...

I kinda have my perception people who post things like this really are peeved BUT waiting for someone to talk them out of it... Secretly hoping some high up CEO of Canon is snooping on Canon Rumor and come across his thread just to shower them with gifts and kissing his rump to stay.  Dont let them get to you".

Awinphoto,

I often get that reaction whenever I read motorsports togs wanting ever faster fps. Shooting one frame at a time has allowed the star motorsports togs of the past to produce really beautiful shots and ever more fps is not a replacement for talent. I shoot a little motorsport and have played with the "machine gun mode" on occasion, but my best images, at least the ones I'm most proud of, are always carefully taken in one-shot mode.

But, and this is a general comment aimed at us all, me included. It's easy to be critical of others opinions and thats one reason I no longer frequent a certain Canon forum, because of the sometimes vicious threads cutting each other to pieces. I hope here that we can be broad minded enough to listen to and understand opinions other than our own.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 11:19:01 AM »