October 23, 2014, 09:23:57 AM

Author Topic: I can't stop thinking about A MONSTER!  (Read 14804 times)

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: I can't stop thinking about A MONSTER!
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 07:07:57 AM »

And heaven forgive me if this turns into another bloodbath of a debate.

+1 Yeah, I know ... physics of the sensor, 14 stops of DR, Nikon d800 and more blah! ... Surely hope it won't go that way!
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 07:07:57 AM »

RobPan

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 07:58:45 AM »
Would the new EF 200-400 IS (forthcoming) be something for you? It has a built-in 1.4x converter, so you can have a 560mm lens if you wish. Don't know about the price.
You make some very good pics, why not try to sell some? At least you could earn some money back.
I am curious about your cycling. Austria is a mountaineous country, do you avoid high places altogether or do you have 24+ gears or what? I could not imagine myself cycling in Austria but then I am from Holland which is a flat as a pancake (and ideal for cycling in my opinion).
Kind regards,

Rob.

Mr Simpleton

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 08:11:50 AM »
There is one major flaw here: Owning the lens for ten years and calculating the deprication to €2500.
IF you buy the lens, write it off immediatley! IF you then want to sell it later on anything >0 will be a bonus.

What if Canon decides in 5 years from now to bring out a new lens mount?? That is vastly improved... what will happen to the value of your lens?

Interests come and go, and you do the right ting, saving up to spend on expensive stuff! Do start save, if you reach your goal of €10k maybe you found something else to get, still you do have the cash, and Cash is King

marinien

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 08:17:57 AM »
And heaven forgive me if this turns into another bloodbath of a debate.

Hahaha, then I'll pray for you  ;D.
7D | EF-S 17-55 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro | 580EX II | Benro C3780T + Markins M20

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 09:11:15 AM »
Given this added info, I retract my former advice.  Go for it and enjoy.

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 09:50:32 AM »
something about a bicycle and a 500mm just doesn't sound right to me...
in this case, i might actually say to wait for the 7DII. I'm thinking the 7DII might be a monster APS-C body, on par with the 5DIII, and around 2500 bucks.
i am a tried and true full frame lover, and i NEVER recommend APS-C, but in this case, it might be worth waiting for the (hopefully for you) cutting edge 7DII, and pairing it with a 100-400 or another slightly smaller lens. I honestly cannot imagine anyone handholding a 500mm for more than a few random shots.
is there ANYONE on here that uses the 500mm handheld exclusively? this doesn't sound like a recipe for great shots.... and it is really expensive.
but hey, if you really want it, and you can handhold it, and no other lens works for you, i don't think it's the worst thing you could spend your money on.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

BrettS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 09:57:55 AM »
I've wanted this lens for years myself, so I think that I understand your predicament. I can also relate to your situation, although I'm a little older and a little better positioned - I have saved the money to buy this lens cash if I so desire - rather than putting that money towards the mortgage or new car or furniture or...

Anyways, after a full frame body, it's the final stage of my photographic needs & wants, as a gear knob amatuer.

There has been some extremely good advice in this thread about taking that money and investing in some manner instead of spending it. From experience, I cannot argue with that.

But - hey, some people in my neighbourhood put their money towards large boats or a cottage. In past, I've spent lots of money on rock climbing, adventure racing, sports gear, etc. You only live once and you don't know what tomorrow brings.

But - then, back to fiscal responsibility...

However, I looked through your excellent pictures, and I read through your reasoning. I think you seem to have a fairly good handle on advice, and your alternatives, wants, and needs.

+1 bro.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 09:57:55 AM »

marinien

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 10:07:14 AM »
I honestly cannot imagine anyone handholding a 500mm for more than a few random shots.
is there ANYONE on here that uses the 500mm handheld exclusively? this doesn't sound like a recipe for great shots.... and it is really expensive.
but hey, if you really want it, and you can handhold it, and no other lens works for you, i don't think it's the worst thing you could spend your money on.

The 5DIII+500mmII is a little more than 4kg. For portrait sessions, I've handheld that weight (1D series + 580EXII + glass). My backpack is often >10kg. And I'm only 1m68 and 50kg. So I guess it depends on the person.

Sure, I never enjoyed the weight. I am trying to bring less gear and work with what I bring.
7D | EF-S 17-55 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro | 580EX II | Benro C3780T + Markins M20

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 10:51:58 AM »
I hike and canoe a lot.... and I see lots of birds and wildlife, usually about where the 1200mm f5.6 would be ideal. Even if I could afford it, I couldn't carry it.

My experience with teleconverters has been that they reduce the resolving power of the lens... the image is bigger, but less sharp. To be fair, I have not tried them on any of the BIG super-telephotos.... but since those lenses are too big for me to carry, the answer is moot.

About the best lens that I have seen for my purposes, the balance of reach, size, and quality, is the 400 f5.6.... a reasonable amount of reach, sharper than the zooms, and affordable. Although it is a nice chunk of glass, it is not of the same optical quality as the series II superzooms. I found that resolving power was the same (close as I can tell) on the 60D, 7D, or 5DII... so I carry along the 60D with a 18-200 lens (crappy lens but makes for lightweight covarage of a wide range) and a 120-400 f5.6, which I bought before I realized how little I really needed zoom in a longer lens. On multi-day hikes the 120-400 stays home...

If I were to buy today, I would get a 7D and the 400f5.6. If I were to wait a bit, I would wait for the 7DII and hope for an updated 400/5.6 with improved optics and IS. (IS is very important when shooting from a canoe).
The best camera is the one in your hands

randym77

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 11:09:38 AM »
If your girlfriend's paying...get the 600mm.  :-D

The weight difference is less than a kilo. 

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 11:51:43 AM »
You're 28.  You don't have a car.  How you gonna carry that thing to places to use it?

You're 28.  Take the money you'd use for the lens, invest it in your retirement future.  Trust me, trust everyone who tells you that.  Even a modest investment now, will give you financial freedom when you're older.  A good thing! (from one who lives it)

Rent the lens when the urge happens.

~~

As a side note - there are places in the wilds, here in Florida, that I would not bring a long L lens without also bringing a handgun.  Just sayin'.... and its not for fear of alligators or bears, but for getting robbed.  Its happened.

+1

I am much older and could afford it... but those funds goto where they are needed more.

When I was your age.... I used to dream about buying $10k audio amplifiers.... My wife talked sense into me... I then spent 2k on a nice Krell KAV-250a which still serves me well... turns out I didnt need the KSA-300S. 

PS: If your girlfriend is for it... then the situation is a bit different :P
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:05:49 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Eimajm

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 12:35:43 PM »
If you think a 400 f5.6 is, as you put it, chickens**t, then it shows your ignorance about this lens and wildlife photography in general. It seems that you think that having a 500mm will somehow make you into a great wildlife photographer which in itself shows you have a huge amount to learn about wildlife photography.
A car would be a much better investment as others have said.
That said if you want one go and get one, why you need to ask complete strangers for their opinion is beyond me....

babiesphotos

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 12:45:02 PM »
OP, I LOVE your pictures.

And I too lust over photo equipment and spend unreasonable amounts of money. This one is a bit much though, find something cheaper to obsess over :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 12:45:02 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2013, 12:54:43 PM »
If you get the lens, may I borrow it next time in Austria??
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2013, 01:30:11 PM »
If you get the lens, may I borrow it next time in Austria??

Heck with that.  Your girlfriend got a sister???? ;D ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2013, 01:30:11 PM »