Gear Talk > Software & Accessories

Best Practices for using a Monopod

(1/7) > >>

J.R.:
Hi CR folks!

I've recently developed a problem with my left wrist which makes it difficult for me to shoot with the 5D3 + 100-400 combo for anything in excess of an hour because of the weight. To tide over this problem, I recently purchased a Manfrotto monopod, slapped on a ball-head and things are much easier.

However, I find that the results of using the monopod are less than stellar for me. I've researched on the net and have tried out almost all triangulated foot and monopod positions but I don't think I'm getting very good results. The camera seems to float sideways while taking the shots - my 6-3 height doesn't help either with the center of gravity of the entire column being quite high. The only way I've got good shots is by reducing the height of the monopod and using a sitting / squatting position with the foot of the monopod jammed against the crook of my left foot with the column padded against my right thigh.

What is the best way to use the monopod while standing upright? Help please ... I've got a birding trip coming up this weekend and don't want to be limited at 200mm. 

dolina:
ballheads are no good with monopods. look for a monopod head or screw your 100-400 feet directly to the monopod.

brad goda:
are you mounting the monopod to the lens collar or to the camera?

digital paradise:
I use a ball head on mine. If I'm shooting sports and sitting I can angle the pod away from me slightly. Helps with birds in trees as well. Even sports while standing. A mono pod is useless for birds or planes in flight.     

J.R.:
Thanks for the replies ...

--- Quote from: dolina on February 09, 2013, 10:15:14 PM ---ballheads are no good with monopods. look for a monopod head or screw your 100-400 feet directly to the monopod.

--- End quote ---

Screwing the 100-400 directly on the monopod is not an option given I need the QR for birds in flight. I'll try monopod head and see if that helps.

--- Quote from: brad goda on February 12, 2013, 01:54:06 AM ---are you mounting the monopod to the lens collar or to the camera?

--- End quote ---

Tripod Collar of the 100-400

--- Quote from: digital paradise on February 12, 2013, 02:00:36 AM ---I use a ball head on mine. If I'm shooting sports and sitting I can angle the pod away from me slightly. Helps with birds in trees as well. Even sports while standing. A mono pod is useless for birds or planes in flight.     

--- End quote ---

+1. This is the reason I use the monopod with the ball head. The QR comes in handy for the BIF. 

BTW, this is what I did click this weekend ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version