December 22, 2014, 10:51:09 AM

Author Topic: EOS 6D Anti-Aliasing Filter  (Read 13475 times)

iP337

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 6D Anti-Aliasing Filter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 04:46:41 PM »
I would like to add something I read in another thread about the 6D and this filter that is worth pointing out here.

That video is presented by a company that is selling a filter designed to "fix" moire and aliasing. So who is to say they didn't make the "before" video look as poor as possible in order to make their filter seem like an indispensable item? The 6D may very well look that lousy by default. How can I tell? I've never used one. But there is also no way to tell that they didn't tweak the camera settings to make it look like garbage just to sell their filter.

So that video alone is not sufficient to judge how good or bad the 6D really is.

Yeah that was me lol.

I'm not saying the 5D3 isn't better than a 6D and it seems practical to pixel bind with the native resolution of the 5D3 but I am seeing very similar if not the same results with the 6D and this third party AA filter that I see with native 5D3 video footage.  I just want to know for sure if 5D3 really pixel binds, everyone keeps saying it does but I've yet to see anything more convincing than here-say and rumors.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 04:46:41 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 05:04:09 PM »
I'm not saying the 5D3 isn't better than a 6D and it seems practical to pixel bind with the native resolution of the 5D3 but I am seeing very similar if not the same results with the 6D and this third party AA filter that I see with native 5D3 video footage.

Terrific - just one detail though: "VAF-6D Moire / Aliasing Filter - Your Price: $365.00" ... and thinking of the current 5d3-6d price difference, the tons of things that make the 5d3 a more capable camera ... well, you know :-o ...

iP337

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 05:49:51 PM »
I'm not saying the 5D3 isn't better than a 6D and it seems practical to pixel bind with the native resolution of the 5D3 but I am seeing very similar if not the same results with the 6D and this third party AA filter that I see with native 5D3 video footage.

Terrific - just one detail though: "VAF-6D Moire / Aliasing Filter - Your Price: $365.00" ... and thinking of the current 5d3-6d price difference, the tons of things that make the 5d3 a more capable camera ... well, you know :-o ...

Very true, that's why I keep saying the 6D isn't worth it until it hits $1500 or less.

studio1972

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Sarah McDonnell Wedding Photography
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 06:30:31 PM »
The question is, why is the 5D III so superior to the 6D in this area? Is it processing power or something else?

Thanks,
Drew

The 5D3 sensor is precisely 3 x the horizontal resolution of 1080p video, so all they have to do is combine each nine pixels into 1.
Cheshire & Wirral Wedding Photographer

http://sarahmcdonnell.co.uk

iP337

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 07:28:30 PM »
The question is, why is the 5D III so superior to the 6D in this area? Is it processing power or something else?

Thanks,
Drew

The 5D3 sensor is precisely 3 x the horizontal resolution of 1080p video, so all they have to do is combine each nine pixels into 1.

Right, but are they actually doing that? Everyone keeps pointing out how easy and practical it is to do but I've never heard or seen anything else supporting the fact they are doing that.  I want to believe it, I really really hope they are but I still don't have proof.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 07:28:30 PM »