December 20, 2014, 06:10:38 PM

Author Topic: 5D III Dynamic Range  (Read 34137 times)

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: 5D III Dynamic Range
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2013, 04:07:28 PM »
Aglet, why u no Nikon already? My take after eating my popcorn.

Aglet - There is FPN on 5D2 files.

General response - Don't lift the shadows +3 stops. 5D2 is a fantastic camera.

Aglet - Here is a file that shows the FPN.

General Response - Don't lift the shadows +3 stops. 5D2 is a fantastic camera.

Aglet - Well Prove me wrong! supply me photos!

General Response - Here's some photos. Don't lift the shadows +3 stops. 5D2 is a fantastic camera.

Aglet - >:( That doesn't mean nothing!

Rlphoto - :| Pass the popcorn.

This^.

I get great shots out of my 5d2.

/boggle

Just know what the tool can and can't do. Its like using a pair of pliers to pull nails.. sure it works but a Crowbar (My group of friends refers to it as a Gordon Freeman) works MUCH better.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2013, 04:07:28 PM »

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2013, 06:08:36 PM »
popcorn consuming "group 4" comment coming --

I think we should create a support group for those who insist on lifting shadows 4 stops as a common or even best practice to create compelling, high quality photos (Better yet, a workshop on how to create compelling, high quality photos).  Let such a group concentrate on whatever is necessary to re-train its members how to study light and apply the tools in their hands to create great results.  RL's hillarious summary should appear as an FAQ, and be included in the sylabus of a required workshop/class.  TrumpetPower's examples, along with many others, can be used as inspiration. 

I note that the OP raised a perfectly reasonable question that should have resulted in a normal conversation.  instead we got:

OP:  how can I make use of my 5D3 to make better photos in HDR scenarios
shadow junkies:  I think the 5D2 is junk cause I can't lift shadows as far as I want

I would urge that we concentrate on the questions posed by the likes of the OP, so that the conversation goes more like this:

OP:  how can I make use of my 5D3 to make great photos
forum:  I study the light and apply <these techniques>

marinien

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2013, 06:48:34 PM »
Ah, welcome back Mikael.

Why do we see extreme tele reach in some "superzoom" compact cameras? Do they only accomplish this through compromised IQ, or do they gain something from the small sensors used?

Ok, take the SX50 HS, FF-equivalent of 1200mm at the long end. But, it's not a 1200mm lens - it's a 215mm lens that's f/6.5 at the long end.  The small sensor gives a 215mm lens the FoV of a much longer lens used on a FF camera, but focal length is an intrinsic property of the lens.  The SX50 lens isn't a true telephoto design, but even if it were, that would mean only a 33mm diameter front element.

well it is the density of the pixels on a specified area, nothing else

Indeed, welcome back, Mikael!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:51:48 PM by marinien »
7D | EF-S 17-55 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro | 580EX II | Benro C3780T + Markins M20

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2013, 07:19:40 PM »
So, I give you a nighttime shot with a classic 5D with a very wide dynamic range and shadows lifted at least a couple, maybe a few stops (I honestly don't remember)...and that's not enough to tell you what you need to know?

why the heck would I want to use your 5dc to compare to my 5d2?!?
only thing they've got in common is the "5" and a tripod mount!
You telling me you'd ask for samples of my 5d2 file and would be satisfied if I gave you a 5dc instead?!?
who's got the fundamental understanding problem here?
I've got a dozen other bodies I can compare it to, I'm asking for 5D2 samples, as outlined.
You really are not good at following instructions.  ::)

What, do you think the 5DII has worse noise than the classic?
don't know, don't care about 5dc

Do you only shoot grey cards and not actual photographs? Have you ever actually wanted to lift shadows more than the extreme amount I did in that shot?
yawn...
re-read your own reply before you post it - edit, re-read, edit, re-read... go have some popcorn

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2013, 07:30:24 PM »
Aglet, why u no Nikon already? My take after eating my popcorn.

Aglet - There is FPN on 5D2 files.

General response - Don't lift the shadows +3 stops. 5D2 is a fantastic camera.

Aglet - Here is a file that shows the FPN.

General Response - Don't lift the shadows +3 stops. 5D2 is a fantastic camera.

Aglet - Well Prove me wrong! supply me photos!

General Response - Here's some photos. Don't lift the shadows +3 stops. 5D2 is a fantastic camera.

Aglet - >:( That doesn't mean nothing!

Rlphoto - :| Pass the popcorn.
Actually, my FF gear is now Nikon, but that's not the point either. :)
FPN on my 5d2 showed up at less than a 2-stop push applied to levels that should have been high enough to not exhibit a problem (e.g. -3 EV down from metered)

Repeating for (who's keeping track of how many times now?)
If anyone of you 5d2-lovers actually HAS one, and are brave enough to show, or at least TELL, us how it performs in simple tests, as outlined a pg or 2 back, then please do so. (RL?...)
I'd like to compare it to mine, which might have been a bit of a lemon in the FPN area.
If you're willing to post a sample of a pushed raw file, kindly include a full res crop so we can see pixel-per-pixel, not scaled down so small as to obliterate FPN in the averaging.
Thank-you.

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2013, 07:51:50 PM »
ok so guys are saying you want the thread to go this way:

OP:  help me use my 5D3 better in HDR situations
forum: you dont' understand physics; you're camera is junk

how does that help?  why do we have to answer reasonable request on how to use a Canon camera with a sensor bomb that Nikon does DR better?  help the OP for pete's sake and move the physics discussions to another thread please.  Those discussions (about sensor physics) are valuable and I want to see them - just not in response to a question about how to use a camera that is branded according to the charter of this site.

David Hull

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »
ok so guys are saying you want the thread to go this way:

OP:  help me use my 5D3 better in HDR situations
forum: you dont' understand physics; you're camera is junk

how does that help?  why do we have to answer reasonable request on how to use a Canon camera with a sensor bomb that Nikon does DR better?  help the OP for pete's sake and move the physics discussions to another thread please.  Those discussions (about sensor physics) are valuable and I want to see them - just not in response to a question about how to use a camera that is branded according to the charter of this site.

The question was answered several times -- I answered it in te 8th reply.  He probably got his answer, took his popcorn and moved on. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »
The question was answered several times -- I answered it in te 8th reply.  He probably got his answer, took his popcorn and moved on.

yes, to be sure. I just wanted subsequent answers to stay more on topic as well, but thats just my "group 4" tendancy showing.  Cue mention of Sony DR, shadow lifting, Canon noise/banding, why it happens, how bad Canon sensors are, etc.  and examples of the same that don't help the OP.   long live the internet, popcorn,  mutiple personas and welcome back Mikael :D

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »

yes, to be sure. I just wanted subsequent answers to stay more on topic as well, but thats just my "group 4" tendancy showing.  Cue mention of Sony DR, shadow lifting, Canon noise/banding, why it happens, how bad Canon sensors are, etc.  and examples of the same that don't help the OP.   long live the internet, popcorn,  mutiple personas and welcome back Mikael :D

+1

I agree that such comments don't help the OP and I'm not too sure whom these comments help even otherwise (save a few gearheads). People around here make have so much noise (pun intended) on the Canon sensors to the point of calling the cameras "useless" only because you can't recover 5 stops or that you get FPN when you do try to recover 5 stops. Does it may a discernible difference to your images which are correctly exposed? Do your clients notice the FPN? or rather ... do your clients ask you to recover the image 5 stops? GEEZ

One wonders why they are sticking to Canon at all, if the cameras sensors were really "useless" as alleged.
1DX, 5D3, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 1.4x III, 2x III, 600RT x 4
The grass is always greener when you crank up the saturation in photoshop

davidson

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2013, 11:05:59 PM »
i think my popcorn booth got shut down for some reason..dunno why. So from now i will be selling popcorn from the back of the butter yellow panel van over there under the bridge all inconspicuous-like. knock three times, then twice more for the buttery goodness....

camerabug

• Power Shot G7X
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2013, 12:12:43 AM »
i think my popcorn booth got shut down for some reason..dunno why. So from now i will be selling popcorn from the back of the butter yellow panel van over there under the bridge all inconspicuous-like. knock three times, then twice more for the buttery goodness....

That made me laugh hard davidson! Nice touch!
1D Mk IV |  EF 500mm F4  L I | EF 70-300mm F4/5.6 L | EF 70-200 F2.8 L II | EF 24-70 F2.8 L II | EF 16-35mm F2.8 L II | EF 50mm F1.8 II |  2x 600EX-RT | Gitzo 3530LS

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2013, 12:14:51 AM »

I wonder if the banding and other issues (that you can work around) would show up in photos of your van?

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2013, 12:38:30 AM »

I wonder if the banding and other issues (that you can work around) would show up in photos of your van?

no because being buttery yellow its a Nikon van and hence doesnt have banding. DxO gave it the highest score for popcorn vans :o
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2013, 12:38:30 AM »

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2013, 12:40:11 AM »

no because being buttery yellow its a Nikon van and hence doesnt have banding. DxO gave it the highest score for popcorn vans :o

OH MAH SIDES!

Since when did DxO rate popcorn vans?

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2013, 12:43:14 AM »
its just too good, guys. just too good!  :D :D :D :D :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2013, 12:43:14 AM »