September 02, 2014, 07:43:07 AM

Author Topic: Need seasoned advice - keep 5D Mark II or NO?  (Read 2979 times)

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Need seasoned advice - keep 5D Mark II or NO?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 11:29:05 AM »
Hey All,

I'm new to the forums here, so greetings. Ive enjoyed the discussions here quite a bit and wanted to toss this question out to the group.

I was able to pick up a 5D Mark II + 24-105 bundle when Fry's was clearing them out ($2100).

To this point, I shoot crop (T4i, 17-55), and I do have some lenses that are compatible with FF, so lenses are not a factor. I shoot family, kids, street/photojounalism, and a bit of landscape. No birding, no high speed sports. I post-process in Lightroom.

However, I'm grappling with the debate of whether to 1) keep the 5D II as an introduction to FF, or 2) return it and go 6D, OR 3) return it, wait a while, and then go 5D III.

I understand the spec differences between all three bodies, and the capabilities and limitations of all.

What are your thoughts? Will the 5DII provide an IQ experience different from my T4i? (notwithstanding focal differences, which I understand).

Would you, in this situation, be disappointed in the limitations of the 5DII?

Is the cost of investment in the 5DII at this time better leveraged with the 6D/5D III?

Thanks for reading. I'm well within my return period, so I just want ensure I'm making the most rational decisions of whether to keep or change my strategy.

It's not a question of photography but one of Psychology.
5DII for all purposes will be more than sufficient for a long, long time.
However, the fact that you settled for it and didn't go for the 6D will gnaw at the back of your head for almost as long. Every time you shoot in low light you'd wonder how the 6D would have been great here, and will hamper your focus as the 5DII's AF tries to do its job.
So return it while you can, and get the 6D. You'll forget the price difference much sooner than you'd have forgotten the (perceived) difference in capabilities of the two cameras.

EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 11:29:05 AM »

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »
It's not a question of photography but one of Psychology.
5DII for all purposes will be more than sufficient for a long, long time.
However, the fact that you settled for it and didn't go for the 6D will gnaw at the back of your head for almost as long. Every time you shoot in low light you'd wonder how the 6D would have been great here, and will hamper your focus as the 5DII's AF tries to do its job.
So return it while you can, and get the 6D. You'll forget the price difference much sooner than you'd have forgotten the (perceived) difference in capabilities of the two cameras.

Well said!

JBeckwith

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 12:43:40 PM »
It kills me how people tend to discount the 5DII now that there are newer, more expensive options available.  All of a sudden it becomes an inadequate option.

This could not be further from the truth for me.  I have a 5DII and I still love it.  MANY professionals still use the 5DII for their work and have been doing so for many years. 

You got a great deal on the 5DII and I would keep it and use the extra $ to go on an outing or something. But ultimately it's your choice and if you feel the extra $ is worth it for the new technology then go for it. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:48:48 PM by JBeckwith »
5D Mark II | 70-200 f/4L IS USM | 50mm f/1.8 II | Yongnuo 560 II

uokhoj

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »
Another really happy user of 5d mkII. I 've got it since '08, and plan to have it till its dead. But if I was to buy now a new camera it would be mkIII, if I could afford it, of course.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »