October 25, 2014, 04:53:00 PM

Author Topic: Why I Chose a Canon EOS 6D over a 5D MKIII  (Read 107877 times)

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
Re: Why I Chose a Canon EOS 6D over a 5D MKIII
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2013, 02:35:56 PM »
Many of you know that I recently acquired a Canon 6D, and I have been asked by multiple posters both in the forum and by email to give my reasons why I made the decision I did.  I have wasted far too much time doing just that today  ;D

Here is the link to my website where I shared my findings:  http://www.dustinabbott.net/2013/02/why-i-chose-a-canon-eos-6d-over-a-5d-mkiii/

Also, if any of you are interested in adapting old M42 lens to the new 6D, here are my findings with my little kit of vintage glass:  http://www.dustinabbott.net/2013/02/the-new-canon-eos-6d-and-classic-m42-lens/

Disclaimer:  I have no intention of starting a flame war.  I believe that the 5D MK3 is overall the better camera and I intend to upgrade my MK2 to a MK3 down the road.  I came to the conclusions that I share for myself and felt those conclusions and hands on experiences might help others making a similar type decision.

Who are you?

Ummm, Dustin Abbott :)  No one more or less famous...

google must be hard for some, huh?
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2013, 02:35:56 PM »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »
Many of you know that I recently acquired a Canon 6D, and I have been asked by multiple posters both in the forum and by email to give my reasons why I made the decision I did.  I have wasted far too much time doing just that today  ;D

Here is the link to my website where I shared my findings:  http://www.dustinabbott.net/2013/02/why-i-chose-a-canon-eos-6d-over-a-5d-mkiii/

Also, if any of you are interested in adapting old M42 lens to the new 6D, here are my findings with my little kit of vintage glass:  http://www.dustinabbott.net/2013/02/the-new-canon-eos-6d-and-classic-m42-lens/

Disclaimer:  I have no intention of starting a flame war.  I believe that the 5D MK3 is overall the better camera and I intend to upgrade my MK2 to a MK3 down the road.  I came to the conclusions that I share for myself and felt those conclusions and hands on experiences might help others making a similar type decision.

Who are you?

Ummm, Dustin Abbott :)  No one more or less famous...

google must be hard for some, huh?

Well, in all fairness, I am in the "reputation building" stage, so I can understand some confusion.  That being said, I am the top returns for the name in a typical Google search.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

Shield

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »
For me, the choice for the 5d3 is pretty simple.
The CF card allows write speeds fast enough for raw 1920x1080 video.
The 6d has a moire / aliasing issue in video mode.
If I ever shot weddings I'd be too nervous not having dual slots.
6fps *does* make a difference shooting sports.  So does the 5d3's larger buffer - I get 30 shots @ 6FPS with a 1000x card.
Little extra resolution can't hurt, and the 5d3's AF system is just ridiculously good.

Having said all that, I really like the 6d.  If I didn't have kids in sports or care about video, I'd sell the 5d3 and get a 6d.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2013, 05:00:13 PM »
6fps *does* make a difference shooting sports.  So does the 5d3's larger buffer - I get 30 shots @ 6FPS with a 1000x card.
Little extra resolution can't hurt, and the 5d3's AF system is just ridiculously good.

Having said all that, I really like the 6d.  If I didn't have kids in sports or care about video, I'd sell the 5d3 and get a 6d.

That's a pretty fair assessment.  I think it really boils down to one's shooting style/priorities.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2013, 06:33:53 PM »

That's a pretty fair assessment.  I think it really boils down to one's shooting style/priorities.

Agreed, however, regarding video and the aliasing issue.  It's possible ML could help alleviate some of it, if there is ever a RAW video hack for the 6D.  Regarding the autofocus...the 6D's works well enough in good light, even for sports.  Obviously you pay more for the 5D3's AF sensor and its fast processing.  Regarding the 6 fps vs. 4.5....that's an extra 1.5 frames per second.  Not much difference...the real advantage here is obviously the buffer (as was mentioned), and the ability to use those pricey 1000x CF cards.  Fps differences are more noticeable when you jump to 8 or 10 fps...or 12+.

Regarding "extra resolution"...at higher ISO there is no real advantage here, because the 6D's luminance noise (or lack thereof) absolutely murders the 5D3's.  Above ISO 12,800 or so, yes the 5D3 has slightly less chrominance noise...but this noise is still high on both cameras.  Given my own experience editing the RAW files of the 5D2, 5D3, 1DX, and 6D....the 6D has the least luminance noise of all of them below ISO 12,800 or so.  And luminance noise is what truly robs "detail resolution"...since at these boosted ISO levels, color resolution is already very compromised on all digital sensors (even on "Nikon's").  Fortunately reducing chrominance noise seems to destroy the least amount of detail, such as with Lightroom and Photoshop...at least up to a certain point. 

Canon didn't make the 6D to compete with the 5D3, though...so there really should not be any difficulty choosing between the two.  They are clearly meant for different photo/video work, and the one that costs more to produce, and more oriented for pro use, is priced accordingly. 

Shield

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2013, 10:24:25 AM »

Agreed, however, regarding video and the aliasing issue.  It's possible ML could help alleviate some of it, if there is ever a RAW video hack for the 6D.  Regarding the autofocus...the 6D's works well enough in good light, even for sports.  Obviously you pay more for the 5D3's AF sensor and its fast processing.  Regarding the 6 fps vs. 4.5....that's an extra 1.5 frames per second.  Not much difference...the real advantage here is obviously the buffer (as was mentioned), and the ability to use those pricey 1000x CF cards.  Fps differences are more noticeable when you jump to 8 or 10 fps...or 12+.

Regarding "extra resolution"...at higher ISO there is no real advantage here, because the 6D's luminance noise (or lack thereof) absolutely murders the 5D3's.  Above ISO 12,800 or so, yes the 5D3 has slightly less chrominance noise...but this noise is still high on both cameras.  Given my own experience editing the RAW files of the 5D2, 5D3, 1DX, and 6D....the 6D has the least luminance noise of all of them below ISO 12,800 or so.  And luminance noise is what truly robs "detail resolution"...since at these boosted ISO levels, color resolution is already very compromised on all digital sensors (even on "Nikon's").  Fortunately reducing chrominance noise seems to destroy the least amount of detail, such as with Lightroom and Photoshop...at least up to a certain point. 

Canon didn't make the 6D to compete with the 5D3, though...so there really should not be any difficulty choosing between the two.  They are clearly meant for different photo/video work, and the one that costs more to produce, and more oriented for pro use, is priced accordingly.

How many shots can the 6d get in a burst?  1.5 FPS extra for 5 full seconds means I have at least 7-8 more shots to review and choose from assuming the 6d can do 4.5 for 5 seconds (which I doubt).  The sweet thing about all those extra cross type focus points is shooting subjects that aren't dead center in the frame - one doesn't always have time to "focus and recompose".  There is raw video for the 6d; you just can't get enough write speed currently to shoot anything near 1920x1080.  Still moire and aliasing in video mode though, and I shoot a good deal of video.

It's not any single one reason for ME to choose the 5d3; it's the sum of the parts.  I don't lust after other cameras anymore nor do I video (except maybe the Sony FS-700 due to the very high framerate for super slowmo).  I don't want you to think I'm in any way putting down the 6d - I'd love to have some of its options as well.

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2013, 10:46:39 AM »
Smaller
Lighter
Similar 'IQ'
Satisfactory build
Cheaper

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2013, 10:46:39 AM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2013, 11:43:53 AM »
Not a downgrader, but, agt the beginning of the summer I was in search of a backup/secondary body - something to compliment my 5d3.  After lots of reading about the 6d, I rented one in April just to see if it could keep up with the mk3.  As primarily a wedding shooter, I needed something that would produce good images in low light, I knew that technically the sensor in the 6d could kick butt, but, I was worried about the AF, particularly how the outer points would work. 

I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised by how well the 6d performs in the field.  I use it without hesitation.  And so far, my clients seem to like what the 6d can do as well.  It';s about a 60/40 split in image picks (sometimes 70/30, depends on what lenses I mount and what the circumstances are, IE larger weddings both bodies get more use, smaller ones I favor the mk3 cause there is no need for using both bodies). 

Even in the low light of the reception, with a flash mounted the outer points lock on!  (take the flash off and its center point only, so I end up having the 6d be my on cam flash body, and the mk3 handles the off camera flash work because the AF i much better across all the points). 

Yes, I do find situations where the 6d doesn't cut it without some assistance (external constant lighting, flash on camera).  But I'd say for close to 85% of what I want to do on a wedding shoot, the 6d handles it quite admirably! 

With that said, I wouldn't downgrade.  My mk3 is awesome and does serve me well.  But, if the 6d had been released last spring, and I was facing this decision with only a 7d in my bag and a limited budget - I would have no issues making the 6d my main body (until I could snag a mk3). 

Different strokes for different folks though.   If you need fps and shoot fast moving subjects, the 6d just isn't the right tool.  For my needs though, I have been very impressed with what the 6d can do.
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

papa-razzi

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2013, 03:26:40 PM »
I just picked up a refurbished 6D direct from Canon for $1,600 USD  (it arrives tomorrow).  After starting my DSLR journey with an XSi about 5 1/2 years ago, (then traded up for the 7D about 3 years ago), I am finally getting the FF camera.

For me it was a no brainer - roughtly 1,000 reasons (the difference in cost of a 6D vs a 5DIII)

I already own and will keep a 7D, so I won't use the 6D for a sports/action camera.  I don't do video, so none of those features matter to me.

I want to do portraits, indoor events (plays, etc.), landscapes, and explore some other creative stuff.

If I wasn't keeping the 7D, it would have been a more difficult decision, and I would have likely gone for the 5DIII (because I'm just not in a position to justify the cost of the 1Dx - but who wouldn't want that puppy)
6D | 7D  | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM |
EF 35mm f/2 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2013, 04:10:02 PM »
I just picked up a refurbished 6D direct from Canon for $1,600 USD  (it arrives tomorrow).  After starting my DSLR journey with an XSi about 5 1/2 years ago, (then traded up for the 7D about 3 years ago), I am finally getting the FF camera.

For me it was a no brainer - roughtly 1,000 reasons (the difference in cost of a 6D vs a 5DIII)

I already own and will keep a 7D, so I won't use the 6D for a sports/action camera.  I don't do video, so none of those features matter to me.

I want to do portraits, indoor events (plays, etc.), landscapes, and explore some other creative stuff.

If I wasn't keeping the 7D, it would have been a more difficult decision, and I would have likely gone for the 5DIII (because I'm just not in a position to justify the cost of the 1Dx - but who wouldn't want that puppy)

The 1DX is great, but it's a beast.  I too had the Xsi 5 years ago... 

Your post is well-reasoned, +1 !

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2013, 04:10:21 PM »
Smaller
Lighter
Similar 'IQ'
Satisfactory build
Cheaper

+1

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2013, 04:11:57 PM »
Not a downgrader, but, agt the beginning of the summer I was in search of a backup/secondary body - something to compliment my 5d3.  After lots of reading about the 6d, I rented one in April just to see if it could keep up with the mk3.  As primarily a wedding shooter, I needed something that would produce good images in low light, I knew that technically the sensor in the 6d could kick butt, but, I was worried about the AF, particularly how the outer points would work. 

I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised by how well the 6d performs in the field.  I use it without hesitation.  And so far, my clients seem to like what the 6d can do as well.  It';s about a 60/40 split in image picks (sometimes 70/30, depends on what lenses I mount and what the circumstances are, IE larger weddings both bodies get more use, smaller ones I favor the mk3 cause there is no need for using both bodies). 

Even in the low light of the reception, with a flash mounted the outer points lock on!  (take the flash off and its center point only, so I end up having the 6d be my on cam flash body, and the mk3 handles the off camera flash work because the AF i much better across all the points). 

Yes, I do find situations where the 6d doesn't cut it without some assistance (external constant lighting, flash on camera).  But I'd say for close to 85% of what I want to do on a wedding shoot, the 6d handles it quite admirably! 

With that said, I wouldn't downgrade.  My mk3 is awesome and does serve me well.  But, if the 6d had been released last spring, and I was facing this decision with only a 7d in my bag and a limited budget - I would have no issues making the 6d my main body (until I could snag a mk3). 

Different strokes for different folks though.   If you need fps and shoot fast moving subjects, the 6d just isn't the right tool.  For my needs though, I have been very impressed with what the 6d can do.

Well said, and it seems to me that most wedding shooters would feel similarly.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2013, 04:28:59 PM »

How many shots can the 6d get in a burst?  1.5 FPS extra for 5 full seconds means I have at least 7-8 more shots to review and choose from assuming the 6d can do 4.5 for 5 seconds (which I doubt).  The sweet thing about all those extra cross type focus points is shooting subjects that aren't dead center in the frame - one doesn't always have time to "focus and recompose".  There is raw video for the 6d; you just can't get enough write speed currently to shoot anything near 1920x1080.  Still moire and aliasing in video mode though, and I shoot a good deal of video.

It's not any single one reason for ME to choose the 5d3; it's the sum of the parts.  I don't lust after other cameras anymore nor do I video (except maybe the Sony FS-700 due to the very high framerate for super slowmo).  I don't want you to think I'm in any way putting down the 6d - I'd love to have some of its options as well.

Well said, I don't disagree with it (please provide a link of RAW video via the 6D with aliasing and moire...I want to know how bad it looks).  "Sweet things" come at a price, and as you said, there are tradeoffs.

As for not being completely 1920x1080...unless the finished video is left unscaled and with a border around it (which it wouldn't be), I'm not sure the lower resolution would reveal itself that much (though obviously moire and aliasing would be noticeable, and often times a deal-breaker...don't get me wrong).  But just from the video resolution standpoint alone...I guess it depends on just how much below "full HD" it is.  It's all relative.  Are the bride and groom, or their family, watching the final resulting video on a front projection screen at least 100 inches diagonal?  Or are they watching it on a tv that is 60 inches or smaller, from 10 feet away or more?  The latter is the more likely scenario...and unless you shot everything closed to f/14 or smaller, there is a very shallow plane that is making use of that "full HD".  That's why cinema cameras with their smaller "super 35" sensors, can generally have a resolution advantage that makes video look more detailed...partly because they aren't using the periphery of the lens' image circle, but mostly because it's easier to get deep focus with a smaller sensor and more moderate f/stops...

I don't know if you have seen the Samsung and Sony 4k video demos...but the Samsung's seems superior to me.  Of course it is all shot at infinity focus...and is a time-lapse of cityscapes...to make use of that 4K resolution.  If it was shot with the 1DC (or similar "full frame" 4k camera) and with fast aperture lenses, at a wedding...a few pores on people's faces would very momentarily make use of that 4K resolution...the rest of the image would not be focused.  I.E., a wedding video is not necessarily a standard-bearer of high resolution video content. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:31:40 PM by CarlTN »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2013, 04:28:59 PM »

Shield

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »

Chuck, a co-worker shot a close friend of his' wedding.  He had a single card slot camera, and even remembered to switch memory cards during the middle of the event.  When he got home one of the cards could not be read nor could it be recovered - this wasn't an el cheapo Microcenter brand card either; I think it was SandDisk.  Anyway their was much anger from the bride's side and I swore that day I'd never shoot a wedding without and instant backup and a 2nd camera body with the same.  Which to me makes the 6d a poor choice for a wedding.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »

Chuck, a co-worker shot a close friend of his' wedding.  He had a single card slot camera, and even remembered to switch memory cards during the middle of the event.  When he got home one of the cards could not be read nor could it be recovered - this wasn't an el cheapo Microcenter brand card either; I think it was SandDisk.  Anyway their was much anger from the bride's side and I swore that day I'd never shoot a wedding without and instant backup and a 2nd camera body with the same.  Which to me makes the 6d a poor choice for a wedding.

That is a bummer.  I would not want to be in that situation.  Plan as you may, stuff happens.  I know of one wedding photographer that had their memory cards from the day in a bag in her car ---guess what happened to that bag...stolen!  I had another friend who missed a good portion of the day because she ended up getting into a car accident that day.  I personally second shot a wedding for another beginner, and her camera died before the ceremony!!!!  She had to use my main body for the day, luckily I had a backup body.  So while I agree that you do havet o plan for the worst, you never know what the worst will be - and - at the time of the purchase I could not afford a second 5d3, so it was either grab a 6d or go with one body ---- which would you choose?
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »