December 22, 2014, 07:33:30 PM

Author Topic: The Blizzard of 2013 Time Lapse  (Read 4978 times)

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
Re: The Blizzard of 2013 Time Lapse
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 07:30:05 AM »
I think I'll go with S___-talking. No time-lapse where the camera gets moved that much will ever be taken seriously. Good luck next time.

That's good, because I hope i never create art that gets "taken seriously". That sounds dreadful.  :P

But I did try and minimize the camera movement. As i said before, conditions were far from ideal. In the end i tell myself it makes it look like film jumping around in the projector gate :D.

https://vimeo.com/59278065
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:42:17 AM by HurtinMinorKey »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 07:30:05 AM »

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 09:04:24 AM »
Don't listen to all the rude and obnoxious posts (which seem to be a large percentage of what you find on this forum). You video took a lot of effort in adverse conditions and turned out well. My only advice would be to try shortening the interval between shots for moving subjects such as traffic so the overall video appears smoother. I, for one, enjoyed your video. Thanks for posting it.
5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 09:33:11 AM »
Don't listen to all the rude and obnoxious posts (which seem to be a large percentage of what you find on this forum).

To be fair, I kinda asked for it. :D

You video took a lot of effort in adverse conditions and turned out well. My only advice would be to try shortening the interval between shots for moving subjects such as traffic so the overall video appears smoother. I, for one, enjoyed your video. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks, and this is good advice. I struggled with trying to get the interval right. I wanted a short clip that covered a lot of time, so i had to make a compromise.  I think if i could do it over again, i would have cut the interval to every 12 secs, but with longer exposures (i was at 1/50 for much of the time).

But i kinda like the jumpiness too, and to some extent it was intentional. I'm a big fan of stop animation, so i kind of like the look of time lapses that don't try too hard to be video.  Does that make sense?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:34:50 AM by HurtinMinorKey »

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 10:57:43 AM »
But i kinda like the jumpiness too, and to some extent it was intentional. I'm a big fan of stop animation, so i kind of like the look of time lapses that don't try too hard to be video.  Does that make sense?

If that's the look you're shooting for, it looks great.
5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 11:07:02 AM »
Nice. Doesn't look like much snow accumulation within the time frame though.  I was thinking people would be walking on narrow paths on the sidewalk.  :)
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »
Just a quick question: did you use auto white balance or was the light really that inconsistent? If the first, you might want to stick with a fixed value next time, makes it easier on the eye ;)
Fed up with brandism.

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 12:59:41 PM »
^Manual white balance, but it was shot in raw so i tweaked it in post. I think the phenomena you're talking about was caused by the varying degrees of snowfall.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 12:59:41 PM »

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »
Note to self: only go out to shoot when snowfall is of consistent density and texture ::)
Fed up with brandism.

emag

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 01:32:38 PM »
For your dedication and push-the-shutter-every-30-seconds efforts I give you two thumbs up and a virtual beer, amigo!  I enjoy doing time lapse also, although on the day of the storm I was outside in 70 degrees and sun in the Florida Panhandle taking (camcorder) video of fire ants.  I grew up in snow country and have friends and family digging out - I no longer recognize a snow shovel.  I shoot many of my TL's in MRAW and find that Lightroom's 720 resolution is just fine.  I found full size RAW and 1080 to be overkill for this application.  Just my opinion.  Processes fast and for video the quality is fine.  I recommend a timer remote from GadgetInfinity or some such, I have both wired and wireless, although on my 60D I use Magic Lantern exclusively.  For astro lapses, I shoot three per minute, 15 second exposures, ~1000 frames for six hours and 45 seconds at 24fps.  Sunrise/sunset stuff I use ML's Bulb Ramping.  Daylight just pick an appropriate interval, sometimes using ML's fps override and saving shutter cycles.  Lens twist method for constant aperture or an adapter and a manual M42 lens.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 01:48:01 PM »
I remember seeing this one a few years ago. Still my favorite:

December 2010 Blizzard Timelapse: Mike Black on Vimeo
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 01:51:17 PM »
For your dedication and push-the-shutter-every-30-seconds efforts I give you two thumbs up and a virtual beer, amigo!  I enjoy doing time lapse also, although on the day of the storm I was outside in 70 degrees and sun in the Florida Panhandle taking (camcorder) video of fire ants.  I grew up in snow country and have friends and family digging out - I no longer recognize a snow shovel.

^ thanks amigo. I envy your latitude right now. If i ever make enough money to retire, you'll never see me outside the tropics again!

I shoot many of my TL's in MRAW and find that Lightroom's 720 resolution is just fine.  I found full size RAW and 1080 to be overkill for this application.

I used sraw to keep the files to 10MB, but i needed the Raw because i knew the exposures were going to be extremely flat, and i'd have to pull out lots of detail.

Lens twist method for constant aperture or an adapter and a manual M42 lens..

Can you explain "Lens twist method"?  I think i know what you are talking about, but i'm not sure.

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 01:55:05 PM »
I remember seeing this one a few years ago. Still my favorite:

That's amazing. I love the way how the scene was modified throughout, with things like the clock appearing, and the yardstick. Pure genius.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 01:55:05 PM »