Gear Talk > Lenses

TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Tilt-Shift for product photography?

(1/4) > >>

pdirestajr:
Hey all,

So I do a lot of small product photography, mostly with a 100mm f/2.8 macro on a 7D and a 5D mkII.

My goal is always to get the largest image in the frame, with the MOST depth of field- I know, this is probably the first thread where someone actually wants more DOF! Lots of bokeh junkies here. Me too :)

Anyways, I've been looking into the 90mm TS-E. Anyone here have any experience with it and product photography? I've never used a tilt-shift lens. I know (from research) it actually doesn't give more DOF but you can control it as a "wedge" of focus that is a different angle from the sensor plane. So will it help in getting more of the product in focus? Sometimes even at small apertures, up close, I can't get all of the product in focus.

Sometimes I need to photograph flat items (like a board game), but on an angle. I don't want to focus stack and combine in post- don't have time for that anymore.

Thoughts?

neuroanatomist:
The TS-E 90mm is the lens for small product photography.

See the coin examples here: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/ts-e90_tilt-shift.html which align with what you're trying to do.

Don Haines:
Having used a 4x5 camera back in the days of film, I thought that the true advantage of large format was how you could tilt/angle the film plane and the lens plane to play with perspective and plane of focus. I briefly played with a 90 t/s lens and it brought back memories of such.... If I were doing product photography it would be the first lens I would get.

Mt Spokane Photography:
The 90mm TS-E is great for product photography.  It is not Macro, but focus closely.  However, I sold mine because I really did not need the tilt for my type of products, and seldom used it.
For photographing a Automobile where you are lookiinng from the front or rear, and want it all in focus, its very useful.  I'm not do sure about small products.  A macro like the 100L has a shallow depth of field because you get very close to the subject, but you do not get as close with the 90mm TS-E.
Another good technique to get more depth of field is to use focus stacking.  There is some good software that adjusts the focus in small increments, and other software that combines the resulting images into one that is totally in sharp focus.

docholliday:

--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on February 10, 2013, 03:15:06 PM ---The 90mm TS-E is great for product photography.  It is not Macro, but focus closely.  However, I sold mine because I really did not need the tilt for my type of products, and seldom used it.
For photographing a Automobile where you are lookiinng from the front or rear, and want it all in focus, its very useful.  I'm not do sure about small products.  A macro like the 100L has a shallow depth of field because you get very close to the subject, but you do not get as close with the 90mm TS-E.
Another good technique to get more depth of field is to use focus stacking.  There is some good software that adjusts the focus in small increments, and other software that combines the resulting images into one that is totally in sharp focus.

--- End quote ---

I just slap a tube or two on and it becomes macro enough to show details in the small products I shoot with it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version