December 20, 2014, 07:38:49 PM

Author Topic: Suggestions for a difficult choice  (Read 6086 times)

Flake

Re: Suggestions for a difficult choice
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 04:11:58 PM »
I'd like to make an slightly off topic comment which some on here probably won't like.  Few professional photographers will touch concerts with a barge pole.  Hundreds of kids who would like to break into photography shoot concerts for free, some of them are better than others.  I beg you, your images are vaulable, the kit to shoot them costs a lot of money, do not give away your images for free, not for any amount of stupid worthless excuses like "it'll help your portfolio" because it won't.  When the groups or the venues start letting you in for free then they might value your work, but until then your just another free image source.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 04:11:58 PM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 08:26:38 PM »
Few professional photographers will touch concerts with a barge pole.  Hundreds of kids who would like to break into photography shoot concerts for free, some of them are better than others.

I've known a guy who complained about that exact thing. He said he used to get invited to a lot of gigs, take decent photos (i hope he won't mind me sharing a link to an example that i quite like), and got paid decent money.
Then a few years ago, that all changed, kiddies with new cameras were promising to take photos just to get into the gigs for free, and his work dried up. Ironic thing is, that now he's getting more invites now, because those kiddies had no talent, they were 'just fans' (to quote from Almost Famous) who wanted to see the gig free, and the promoters have realised they have to pay for really good work...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 08:26:38 PM »