December 22, 2014, 03:50:24 AM

Author Topic: The Future of the Flash? [CR1]  (Read 10438 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
The Future of the Flash? [CR1]
« on: July 18, 2011, 10:49:12 AM »

New Flash system in late 2011/early 2012

Canon going radio trigger wireless?

That’s the latest bit of info sent this weekend.

Canon will release a new flagship flash, as well as a replacement to the 580 EX II.

The flagship flash will have new features unseen in a Canon Speedlite before. No word on whether or not it would have some video features.

The ST-E2 will remain current, however a new radio trigger will be launched alongside the flashes.

First time submission, so take it with a grain of salt.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

The Future of the Flash? [CR1]
« on: July 18, 2011, 10:49:12 AM »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
Re: The Future of the Flash? [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 10:53:35 AM »
radio system that works with legacy IR would be pretty sweet, especially if it also bumps up the power from the 580s ... having constant lighting for video would be very cool as well, especially if it actually comes from the main lamp position, rather than another LED embedded below the main flash housing.

idigi

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 11:32:34 AM »
Well, it ought to be CR2 by now.  We've heard about it in April: http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/04/video-flash-nab-more/ ; then, in May: http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/05/radio-in-new-canon-flashes-cr2/

It's about time for Canon to release that new flash :-)

shima

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 11:44:02 AM »
There is only one feature I'm so so much missing with the 580 II: A battery indicator...

Bob Howland

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 11:45:41 AM »
As somebody who owns four 550EX flashes used as slaves to a 580EX2, I very much hope that Canon introduces a small and cheap interface module that can be attached to the foot of a slave and allow it to be used with a new flash system.

Also, there is a "low energy" version of Bluetooth that seems custom designed for this application: low power requirements, fairly low data rates and low latency.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 01:25:05 PM »
Radio triggering is long overdue in an OE Canon flash. I'll buy three or four of these suckers if they become a reality. The mere existence of devices like Radio Poppers and Pocket Wizards proves that the demand is there. The TTL metering with the current Speedlites works very well, IMHO, but the line-of-sight and range limitations of the infrared interface is a major hassle in the field. Just like IS lenses meant that it was no longer necessary to invest in a third-party gyro stabilizer, I hope a new generation of radio Canon flashes means we won't have to spend big bucks on third-party triggers like Radio Popppers anymore. 

J-Man

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »
I agree,long over due!!!
The system would have to be robust and easy to use, with at least 3 zones, otherwise I'll stick with my PW's.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 05:43:25 PM »
As somebody who owns four 550EX flashes used as slaves to a 580EX2, I very much hope that Canon introduces a small and cheap interface module that can be attached to the foot of a slave and allow it to be used with a new flash system.

Also, there is a "low energy" version of Bluetooth that seems custom designed for this application: low power requirements, fairly low data rates and low latency.

The idea of a radio receiver for existing flash units would make sense for most of us who have existing E-TTL2 Speedlites.  I just fear that it may not make sense for Canon, who would like to sell us new Speedlites!

Given the cost of Pocketwizards, there is little commercial incentive for Canon to build a receiver for existing Speedlite users.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

kawasakiguy37

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 06:53:03 PM »
Canon better do this, because Nikon definitely will. The only problem I see is not being compatible with third party flashes (unless they release their own receivers). Id hate to have to use two systems for my PCB lights + speedlights....

NXT1000

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 09:39:24 PM »
yeah it is about time they build a next gen flash,
one that use lithum ion battery, much like the one on their dslr.
where is the zoom function that cover 24-200mm?
what about build in one touch diffuser so that we do not have to put some tuppleware on top of it and look funny and unbalance.
what about using carbon fiber to make it strong and light, what about solving the problem that shooting portait,  the flash make ugly shadow on left and right, much like sony solution, not the best, but better than nothing. flash head can bend from very far away from lens to close to lens, like mechanical snake.
and what about making one without battery, taking power from the dslr, in emergency or for people who want light flash.
what about flash with built in gps.

i honestly do not expect much from canon flash engineers, the history of canon flash is not one of innovation and excellent. i expect the third party to innovate and bring flash to the next level.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:42:42 PM by NXT1000 »

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 12:12:46 AM »
Huh, BLE ("Bluetooth low energy") mode only has a 6ms claimed latency time.  That should be fast enough.

CatfishSoupFTW

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 12:18:38 PM »
oh great... i had plans on getting the 580ex II but now with this info, i dont know anymore. I will need it for a job coming in the next few months.. D: maybe i will just rent until then.
5DmrkII, 40D, 24-105 F4L, 50mm 1.8, 17-85, 70-300

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 01:02:19 PM »

I'm not sure what you intended here?  Bluetooth range is very limited, not the several huindred feet needed.  Bluetooth latency in actual practice is also a concern, the rated but never quite achieved 6ms (more than 1/200 sec) would seem to be a big issue as well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 01:02:19 PM »

anthony11

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 02:22:50 PM »
Canon will release a new flagship flash, as well as a replacement to the 580 EX II.

As well as?  This is written as though the 580 EX II isn't the (surprisingly weak) flagship now.

Bob Howland

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 03:04:50 PM »

I'm not sure what you intended here?  Bluetooth range is very limited, not the several huindred feet needed.  Bluetooth latency in actual practice is also a concern, the rated but never quite achieved 6ms (more than 1/200 sec) would seem to be a big issue as well.

According to the Wikipedia page on Bluetooth Low Energy, the range is 200M or about 660 feet. The 6ms latency is from an unconnected state and I think that a master flash/camera and slave flash will be "connected" most of the time.  Also, 6ms is considerably shorter than most pro camera's shutter lag (40ms for the Nikon D3s and 55ms for the 1DMk4) and a motor driven camera at 10FPS will have a time between shots of 100ms.

Incidentally, the Wikipedia page is considerably more informative than bluetooth.com. If you have a better source please let us know about it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:09:53 PM by Bob Howland »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 03:04:50 PM »