July 31, 2014, 04:00:08 PM

Author Topic: Opinions on 3rd party repair services  (Read 1054 times)

brianboru

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Opinions on 3rd party repair services
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:39:43 PM »
My 70-200 f4.0L slipped out of a backpack a couple of years ago straight down onto concrete.  It shattered a UV filter I had on at the time but focus remained fully functional.  (The backpack with the not very secure zipper was relegate to never leaving the house again.)

With micro-focus at +9, it's fairly accurate but I assume it's decentered in some funky way and would like to get it calibrated.    Canon Repair's "just send it to us and we'll give you a quote" seems a bit open ended.   Does anyone have experience with one of the independent service providers? 
Like:
http://www.unitedcamera.com/canon-ef-70-200mm-f/4l-usm/
or
http://www.precisioncamera.com/professional-camera-repair.html
7D, EOS M, S95, 40D, S40, 10S, ...
EF 70-200 f4.0 L, EF 17-40 f4.0 L, EF 40mm f2.8, EF 28-135,  Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX, ....

canon rumors FORUM

Opinions on 3rd party repair services
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:39:43 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on 3rd party repair services
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 10:15:09 PM »
http://www.midwestcamera.com/canon.html

If you want to pick a 3rd party service, be aware that onnly a very few are Canon Authorized.  This is very important, because they get training, test equippment and software to service Canon products.  Even so, it might take much longer to get a product fixed, and sometimes, they just send it to Canon which makes the turnaround even longer.

Precision Camera did a Nikon 300mm f/2.8 lens for me and it was a good job. They are one of the very few Independent authorised Canon Repair centers.

Midwest Camera also has a excellent reputation.

United Camera does not claim to be a Canon authorized Repair service, at least it did not say so on their site..
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=220779

brianboru

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 08:18:57 AM »
Thank you, just the feedback I was looking for.  I've submitted a request for quote to Midwest Camera Repair.
7D, EOS M, S95, 40D, S40, 10S, ...
EF 70-200 f4.0 L, EF 17-40 f4.0 L, EF 40mm f2.8, EF 28-135,  Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX, ....

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 03:07:44 PM »
For small stuff maybe but to repair expensive, high precision gear at that level I would only trust Canon. Same thing happened to me with the same lens after only owning it for two weeks. Forgot to zip up my back pack style bag. No physical damage but the IS went all wonky. I sent to to Canon with a copy of the bill of sale and a letter explaining what happened. They just charged me for the parts only.           

Jackson_Bill

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the "open-ended" part of it. They have to do that because they don't know, before they look at it, what parts you'll need. I've sent a couple of out-of-warranty (OOW they call it) things to Canon. They gave me a basic charge and then notified me if there were additional charges for parts.
I thought the turn-around was reasonable, too.

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 05:43:51 PM »
I have had a good experience with Tempe Camera in Arizona.  There website says they are an authorized Canon warranty repair center, FWIW.  My experience was with an OOW (gee, I learned a new term!) body that needed a new shutter release and sensor cleaning and the turn-around time and price was very reasonable.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 05:43:51 PM »