October 23, 2014, 03:31:00 PM

Author Topic: Critique needed  (Read 3222 times)

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Critique needed
« on: February 12, 2013, 12:25:03 PM »
Hi,

I've only recently engaged in landscape photography and clicked this recently. I need advice as to how I could have made this shot better, in camera or in PP.

Thanks in advance!

J.R.
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

canon rumors FORUM

Critique needed
« on: February 12, 2013, 12:25:03 PM »

dcschooley

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Critique needed
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 12:56:46 PM »
You need more space between the sun and the tree. The tree is almost on top of the setting sun, so with the open space to the left, they end up looking scrunched together. The camera needs to be moved to the left if possible. A bit of cropping from the left might be needed, but not until the tree and sun are in the right place. I like the diagonal shoreline. You could bring the shadows on the shore up a bit in post processing, but just enough to get a bit of texture, so don't overdo it.

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 05:05:11 PM »
You need more space between the sun and the tree. The tree is almost on top of the setting sun, so with the open space to the left, they end up looking scrunched together. The camera needs to be moved to the left if possible. A bit of cropping from the left might be needed, but not until the tree and sun are in the right place. I like the diagonal shoreline. You could bring the shadows on the shore up a bit in post processing, but just enough to get a bit of texture, so don't overdo it.

+1

Good effort.

If I had to make a suggestion I'd say the sun is a bit too central for my liking so be mindful of composition. Shoot in RAW so you can try to retrieve some shadow detail in PP.

Carry on shooting and have fun :)

Cheers
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

jondave

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 05:37:49 PM »
I agree to what's been previously mentioned, but more than anything else straighten your horizon in camera. You can do it in post but you'll be cropping precious pixels.

Spooky

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 06:46:16 PM »
Nice. How about darkening the foreground (road) to black, this will accentuate the sky & water and remove any distractions?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:49:51 PM by Spooky »

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 06:50:11 PM »
I agree to what's been previously mentioned, but more than anything else straighten your horizon in camera. You can do it in post but you'll be cropping precious pixels.

What are you basing this observation on? The lake is irregularly shaped and the terrain is hilly. The high tension towers are vertical and that's good enough for me.

Nice shot JR.

shutterwideshut

• EOS M2
  • IR and Long Exposure junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 07:11:07 PM »

Absolutely. You have to put some space in between the sun and the tree as these are one of the most important elements of the frame. Nice job though in rendering silhouette on that tree against a rising sun. Your exif data is showing 24mm, 1/1600s, f/4 & ISO 100. For shooting landscapes, it would have been better to set your aperture between f/8 and f/16.

What are you basing this observation on? The lake is irregularly shaped and the terrain is hilly. The high tension towers are vertical and that's good enough for me.

Nice shot JR.

Yes, the lake is irregularly shaped so the horizon is just fine. Nice composition and effort of putting the horizon below the 1/3 of the frame. This is a nice capture of the golden hour. Keep up the good work!  ;)
My Flickr
5D3 ı 7D ı 50D(IR) ı 20D(IR) ı TS-E24 f/3.5L II ı 17-40 f/4L ı 24-70 f/2.8L II ı 70-200 f/4L IS ı 100 f/2.8L  Macro IS ı 40 f/2.8 ı 50 f/1.4 ı 85 f/1.8 ı 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 ı Lensbaby Composer Pro ı Rokinon 8mm ı 600EX-RT/ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 07:11:07 PM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 08:36:49 PM »
Thanks a lot for the responses! Will keep these in mind the next time :)
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

paul13walnut5

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »
Getting in cliser and zooming out would have given you much more flexibility with perspective, you could maybe even used the tree as a framing device up the right edge, with the slightest slither of black shore forming the lower edge.

Taken from eye height?  Lower height would perhaps work better, imho.
Make more of a feature of the water.

I would maybe also have waited 2 minutes to see what the sky did, it's a clear night, so maybe some magic hour crazy colours would have given the sky more interest, quite often just as the sun has dipped, but to my mind you had a good 20 mins shooting ahead of you.

Theres no realfocus point or lead in, to me its a record shot, even something like going much farther back and making the tree the feature, zooming in so that the crunched branches contradt against the colours of the sky, even to the poing of the heart of the branches filling the frame so that theres not any space around the tree at all,.

It's not the best sky, nor at the optimal time, and I think there was a lot more effect could have been had from perspective.   In a stunning view you want to capture it the way you saw it, with a view like this, you need to manage the scene better to let the best image out.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, Just an opinion.

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 09:52:45 PM »
Introduce yourself to the Rule of Thirds
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/rule-of-thirds.htm

Great place to start learning about composition.....
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:44:51 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 10:04:03 PM »
Hi,

I've only recently engaged in landscape photography and clicked this recently. I need advice as to how I could have made this shot better, in camera or in PP.

Thanks in advance!

J.R.

Jr....I like the shot as is...a little more space between sun and tree by moving to your left a little would've been better...everything else looks good to me
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:06:00 PM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 10:25:52 PM »
Getting in cliser and zooming out would have given you much more flexibility with perspective, you could maybe even used the tree as a framing device up the right edge, with the slightest slither of black shore forming the lower edge.

Taken from eye height?  Lower height would perhaps work better, imho.
Make more of a feature of the water.

I would maybe also have waited 2 minutes to see what the sky did, it's a clear night, so maybe some magic hour crazy colours would have given the sky more interest, quite often just as the sun has dipped, but to my mind you had a good 20 mins shooting ahead of you.

Theres no realfocus point or lead in, to me its a record shot, even something like going much farther back and making the tree the feature, zooming in so that the crunched branches contradt against the colours of the sky, even to the poing of the heart of the branches filling the frame so that theres not any space around the tree at all,.

It's not the best sky, nor at the optimal time, and I think there was a lot more effect could have been had from perspective.   In a stunning view you want to capture it the way you saw it, with a view like this, you need to manage the scene better to let the best image out.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, Just an opinion.

Thanks Paul!

This was a sunrise and I had just arrived at the lake about 5 minutes prior to the sunrise (bad timing on my part). Additionally, I shot this at 24mm with the 24-105 and further zooming out was not an option.

I agree with your assessment that such shots would be served better by shooting lower than eye level.

BTW, that didn't sound harsh ... I'll keep in mind the points made the next time I shoot and maybe I'll end up with better pictures.  :)
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 10:28:06 PM »
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

J.R.

Jr....I like the shot as is...a little more space between sun and tree by moving to your left a little would've been better...everything else looks good to me

Thanks Northstar!

Introduce yourself to the Rule of Thirds
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/rule-of-thirds.htm

I had actually tried to keep that in mind with the hills in the background.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:30:23 PM by J.R. »
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 10:28:06 PM »

aroo

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 12:01:39 AM »
Camera closer to the ground could accentuate the height of the tree and give that sky gradient a little more space to play out. Nice colors!

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 12:53:18 AM »
I agree with all the above points.  However, there is an element of subjectivity here as well.  Art is subjective.

I would have had the tree toward the right side and sun toward the left, and I would have tried to recover some shadow detail.  But then, that's how I usually like it.  I don't like too much of a picture to be black or close to black.  Many other photogs tend to love a lot of black because it creates drama.  I say that's fine for portraits of people...but in landscape, not so much.  Just my opinion.

There is too much area of your shot taken up by a sky that is too featureless for my taste.  I would either add some subtle cloud elements from another shot, or else crop the shot to a wider aspect, to limit the sky area.

The rule of thirds is probably the most important compositional rule in photography, in my opinion...but there are many others.  It's not always easy to decide which to employ.  The other rules of composition, are also sometimes more subtle to spot.

I guess my main complaint is you didn't shoot several shots with slightly different composition, then ask which of those worked best.

Not every picture has to be the best it can be, just to justify its existence.  I've shot over 30,000 pictures in the last 4.5 years, over 5 camera bodies (several were compacts).  Even though 98% of those aren't worth exhibiting somewhere, I am still keeping the files.  Many of them were also taken to record something, not just to attempt to get a nice picture.  (And no, I'm not saying the opposite was stated in this thread...I'm just spouting off.)

Last but not least...don't get caught up in thinking a landscape picture always has to be done at wide angle.  Many of my own personal favorites that I have done, were done with a fast telephoto, zeroing in on a subject...such as a tree, or even smaller elements.

The only time my work was published, last year, the shot was done at an equivalent focal length of 28mm, but it was cropped a bit.  It was also a vertical, or "portrait mode".  The final crop, I believe was more like what a 37 to 40mm angle of view would be (full frame...this was a crop camera though).

Most difficult of all, and also what I keep trying to do, is create a landscape shot that includes wildlife.  Again, seldom am I able to do this with a wide angle lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 12:53:18 AM »