September 18, 2014, 01:44:36 PM

Author Topic: Is it okay to get 1Ds mark ii  (Read 5498 times)

al-toidz photography

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Is it okay to get 1Ds mark ii
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:54:01 PM »
I want to move from aps-c sensor to fullframe. However, I don't have the cash to spend a whole lot of money on camera body as my priority is buying lens. I have a canon 60D and thinking about selling it and getting a 1Ds mark ii and/or 1D mark iii. I know their limitations in terms of ISO performance but I will primarily be using the camera for portraits with and without off camera flashes. Feedbacks are much appreciated.

canon rumors FORUM

Is it okay to get 1Ds mark ii
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:54:01 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Is it okay to get 1Ds mark ii
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:36:53 PM »
The 1DS MK II is a great camera.  However, it requires a firewire connection to access some user settings, has a small lcd, no liveview, and a few other things.
The 1D MK III is not FF.
I'd recommend a 5D MK II as being fairly up to date, and a great camera.

DArora

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:42:30 PM »
Why not 5D2 OR 6D??

al-toidz photography

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 12:22:20 AM »
5D2 is a great camera but I want the ergonomics of 1D series. I know its weird and there is a lot more to it more than just the ergonomics. I had the chance to shoot with 5D mark 2 and 3 and honestly its overkill. Plus the 1Ds mark ii that I'm about to get has only 8000 shutter count for only $700. That's a deal right?

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 12:36:50 AM »
5D2 is a great camera but I want the ergonomics of 1D series. I know its weird and there is a lot more to it more than just the ergonomics. I had the chance to shoot with 5D mark 2 and 3 and honestly its overkill. Plus the 1Ds mark ii that I'm about to get has only 8000 shutter count for only $700. That's a deal right?

thats not a bad deal
the other thing with these is the batteries are old NiMH batteries not new gen Lithium ones
so their life will most likely be negligable you might have to budget purchasing new batteries
problem is its not easy to test the batteries without having the camera in your possession for an extended period of time

it will still produce great images and has a first class AF system
APS-H Fanboy

al-toidz photography

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 12:47:31 AM »
Is that why people that owns 1Ds mark ii doesn't use it that much anymore because of the battery? Any idea how much a battery a piece?

WillThompson

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 01:20:03 AM »
I would not.

The 1Ds mark II is only 12 bit color and uses outdated batteries.

The 1D III is a good choice, it has 14 bit color, 10 fps, 3" LCD, and lithium batteries.

The importance of the 14 bit color is 2 more stops of useable DR and 1 stop if you have highlight recovery turned on!

I had the 1D mark II & 1Ds mark II and replaced it with a  1Ds mark III & 1D mark III.

I seldom use my 1D mark III since I got my 1DX.

Still my 1D III is a keeper.  It uses the same batteries as my X!

Will T.
Will T.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 01:20:03 AM »

brad goda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 01:40:41 AM »
what everyone is saying about 1DsII is true
Ive owned all 1Ds bodies and sitll have 1DsIII...
its still compatible switching batts with my 1Dx and IQ for well lit situations is great.
also not being too old YET... its still serviceable by canon.
please check with your neighborhood canon repair IF the 1DsII or the 1D body you are planning on buying used is still in their service line up... some models are being chucked out and you will have to find a special NON canon repair shop...
for this specific reason although finding killer deals on some big glass I will not buy... due to servicing... BUT if you do... for good measure take it in for preventive servicing and then use it till it dies...
good luck.

al-toidz photography

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 01:45:09 AM »
I would not.

The 1Ds mark II is only 12 bit color and uses outdated batteries.

The 1D III is a good choice, it has 14 bit color, 10 fps, 3" LCD, and lithium batteries.

The importance of the 14 bit color is 2 more stops of useable DR and 1 stop if you have highlight recovery turned on!

I had the 1D mark II & 1Ds mark II and replaced it with a  1Ds mark III & 1D mark III.

I seldom use my 1D mark III since I got my 1DX.

Still my 1D III is a keeper.  It uses the same batteries as my X!

Will T.

How bad are lithium batteries that 1Ds mark II uses?

al-toidz photography

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 01:50:27 AM »
what everyone is saying about 1DsII is true
Ive owned all 1Ds bodies and sitll have 1DsIII...
its still compatible switching batts with my 1Dx and IQ for well lit situations is great.
also not being too old YET... its still serviceable by canon.
please check with your neighborhood canon repair IF the 1DsII or the 1D body you are planning on buying used is still in their service line up... some models are being chucked out and you will have to find a special NON canon repair shop...
for this specific reason although finding killer deals on some big glass I will not buy... due to servicing... BUT if you do... for good measure take it in for preventive servicing and then use it till it dies...
good luck.

I want to get the 1Ds mark III but my budget is very low. Below $1000 for any 1D or 1Ds bodies. I know im limiting myself too much in terms of buying camera body but im more of a lens guy over camera body. What didn't you like about the 1Ds mark II?

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 01:51:04 AM »
Is that why people that owns 1Ds mark ii doesn't use it that much anymore because of the battery? Any idea how much a battery a piece?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Battery-for-Canon-NP-E3-NPE3-EOS-1DS-1D-Mark-II-N-2-Digital-SLR-DSLR-Fresh-New-/200796044100?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item2ec0607b44

non genuine batteries can be had at not too much on ebay
I dont think you can even buy genuine ones anymore and if you could they would probably be dead
from never being used

you could also look at 5D classics as a 13 MP FF option Litium batteries
nice image quality not as full features as the 1Dsmk2 or as good build and AF
but smaller and lighter, people seem to be asking too much for them though IMO
APS-H Fanboy

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 01:53:33 AM »

they arent lithium thats the problem the are NiMH and they get the memory effect
I would work on the basis that most are going to be well worn out and need to be replaced
APS-H Fanboy

al-toidz photography

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 02:12:40 AM »

they arent lithium thats the problem the are NiMH and they get the memory effect
I would work on the basis that most are going to be well worn out and need to be replaced

Im just really torn since its kinda hard to pass on this 1Ds mark II deal. I guess as long as I get to use it within a year then i'll be more than happy to have this camera. I wonder if someone ever came up with a battery tray that can be used in 1D bodies that takes eneelop batteries

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 02:12:40 AM »

WillThompson

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 02:23:21 AM »
Well the 1Ds mark II did originally come with AC adapter and dummy battery so in worst case you could use an external 12V battery!

That is assuming you get it with the dummy bat.

Will T.
Will T.

al-toidz photography

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 02:31:53 AM »
Well the 1Ds mark II did originally come with AC adapter and dummy battery so in worst case you could use an external 12V battery!

That is assuming you get it with the dummy bat.

Will T.

So then, assuming that I get the dummy battery, the next problem is, how am I going to use it on location shoot where there is plug outlet

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 02:31:53 AM »