Image & Video Galleries > Black & White

Portraits of Poverty...

(1/3) > >>

Ivan Muller:
...more images of these poor souls here ....http://thelazytravelphotographer.blogspot.com/

Zen:
Years and years and years ago, I shot almost all in b&w, developed my own a printed many of them myself. So, in many cases, I still prefer it to color. There tends to be more "character" in b&w faces than in color, imho. In these two, the first doesn't look like poverty to me, even tho it may actually be. The first looks to me more like a hard working outdoors character who has spent much of his life in honest hard work. The second seems to communicate hard times, or if you prefer, poverty, much more than the first.

Interesting, isn't it, how different people see the same images differently.

These are really great shots. :)

Zen

Drizzt321:
Great shots. For these type of shots, are you just walking the street and ask someone if you can take their photo? It seems to me they know you in some way, and have some level of trust in you.

distant.star:
Love your images -- very Walker Evans reminiscent.

Somehow I am troubled by your use of people as a characterization of "poverty." What I see in all these people is the dignity I always see in people who are poor and coping successfully with their circumstances. Living in community, as they are, is a great help, and I rarely see poverty of spirit or character with people supporting one another in community.

Poverty is not a bad thing. Like all challenges, it takes us to the core of our humanity -- do we survive, perhaps even thrive, or do we allow it to turn our hearts to stone? Poverty should not be feared. Any one of us could be financially destitute tomorrow. It's just a new day and somewhat more of a challenge.

Guess I would call them portraits of dignity or portraits of courage or something focused on the human achievement aspect.

Anyway, keep the good images coming. I love them.

RS2021:

--- Quote from: distant.star on February 26, 2013, 05:25:41 PM ---.

Guess I would call them portraits of dignity or portraits of courage or something focused on the human achievement aspect.

Anyway, keep the good images coming. I love them.

--- End quote ---

+1
Great images. I agree with the change of title suggestion...poverty sensationalizes the topic. What I see is dignity in both faces. Keep posting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version