October 25, 2014, 03:14:28 AM

Author Topic: DPReview: Canon EOS 6D Reviewed  (Read 11041 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
DPReview: Canon EOS 6D Reviewed
« on: February 13, 2013, 05:33:36 AM »
From DPReview
The review of the Canon EOS 6D has been completed over at DPReview. They seem to be fairly positive about it, maybe less so than I am. I think the camera is great with terrific IQ. However, they did notice the same thing that I did, the battery drain with wifi and GPS turned on is quite significant, so be sure to buy an extra battery if you don’t have one.

I also don’t miss the autofocus system of the 5D Mark III when I’m using the EOS 6D, 95% of the time I find I don’t need anything beyond the center AF point. However, this point is personal preference and you may decide you need more cross-type AF points.

From DPR
“If you’re an EOS shooter eyeing the 6D as a more affordable alternative to the 5D Mark III, even as a second backup body, Canon has made your decision fairly straightforward. Still image quality aside, the concessions you’re forced to make for the significant cost savings are substantial. A slower burst rate, less sophisticated AF system with smaller coverage area, and moiré-prone video headline the list of compromises. And while we can understand Canon’s desire to keep the camera’s price down, other seemingly arbitrary decisions, like the inability to save HDR raw images and a DOF preview button whose location is much less useful than it could be, smack solely of product differentiation…..”

Read the full review | Canon EOS 6D Body $1879

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

DPReview: Canon EOS 6D Reviewed
« on: February 13, 2013, 05:33:36 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: DPReview: Canon EOS 6D Reviewed
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 06:21:04 AM »
"smack solely of product differentiation…..”

Well, that kind of says it all, doesn't it?

And people wonder why there are Canon haters...

You could be hard pressed to say that the conclusion of the review was praising it.

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Call that a review?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 06:40:05 AM »
Silver award and score a couple of percentage points less than the Nikon, gee that's OK.

Stop being so negative and letting your canon-hate show.

I think dpreview are really long on reviews but surely it is a copout to mark a camera up or down by comparing the spec sheets? We all did that 5 secs after the cameras were announced.

They have their hands on the cameras, so what we want to see are hands-on comments. Don't tell me it has less resolution if you are only basing it on reading spec sheets; tell me what you thought of the resolution when examining the images!

Don't tell me it's focusing is not as effective if you haven't done focusing comparison tests of the two cameras side-by-side. You might find it is in practice the opposite of what the spec sheet shows, but we'll never know because you haven't done a proper test!

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:07:33 AM »
Why do the mention - "Relatively unsophisticated Auto ISO"?

5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 07:08:07 AM »
The basic assessment for me was the same - an excellent second body!
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 07:53:42 AM »
nothing but a re-packaged 5D II, crippled all around.
Still a tired old sensor with 2 EV less DR than any Nikon FF camera.
Still totally inadequate AF-system, only suitable to "but I only ever use the center AF-point"-shooters.
Overall even weaker than the nothing-to-write-home-about Nikon D600.

And dpreview is a totally uncritical review site. The will highly recommend any piece of crap as long as it may  sell well on amazon, their corporate parent.

caruser

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 08:51:49 AM »
I would hope that the 6D has moire in video, that means it doesn't have the overly strong "let's make ALL images soft just for the couple of people that use this for serious video"-AA-filter in the 5D3! At least that was my initial impression after looking at the first 5D3 reviews and sample images, that the AA-filter was too strong.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:56:37 AM by caruser »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 08:51:49 AM »

Zlatko

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 09:06:04 AM »
Still totally inadequate AF-system, only suitable to "but I only ever use the center AF-point"-shooters.
DPReview gives the 6D a lower score than the 7D.  But the 6D is smaller and lighter than a 7D, while offering a sensor twice as big.  And it offers great high ISO, better than the 5DII.  And it offers great low-light AF, going down to -3EV. 

I've shot professionally with the simple AF system of the 5D and 5D2 for years, so the simple AF system of the 6D wouldn't stop me from buying a 6D.  And I've used the outer AF points many, many times.  Many pros chose the 5DII despite its simple AF system, so "totally inadequate AF" is a total exaggeration.  Now Canon seems to have upgraded the AF accuracy in the 6D, so it can only be better than the AF of the 5DII -
http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/2012/12/af-consistency-comparison-nikon-canon-phase-detect-contrast-detect/

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 09:49:53 AM »
Left handed compliment:

A criticism or insult disguised as a compliment.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 10:08:17 AM »

You probably shouldn't buy one for yourself, then. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 10:14:03 AM »
I've shot professionally with the simple AF system of the 5D and 5D2 for years, so the simple AF system of the 6D wouldn't stop me from buying a 6D.  And I've used the outer AF points many, many times.  Many pros chose the 5DII despite its simple AF system, so "totally inadequate AF" is a total exaggeration.  Now Canon seems to have upgraded the AF accuracy in the 6D, so it can only be better than the AF of the 5DII -
http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/2012/12/af-consistency-comparison-nikon-canon-phase-detect-contrast-detect/
[/quote]

I'm always wary of these types of "test". I've only ever heard reports of the 7D's AF out performing the 5D in the field.

And I've used the 5D's outer focus points since 2005, and they've been fine - OK they're not fool proof, you can't expect them to work when there is no contrast so place them where there is some contrast.

With regard to the DP review of the 6D it is inevitable that they won't rave about it. It's a relativelystraight forward ( in modern terms ) camera which focuses on picture taking rather than bells and whistles, and in the hands of competent photographers will produce some amazing images for less outlay than a 5D MK3 or 1Dx.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 10:21:51 AM »
I'm always wary of these types of "test". I've only ever heard reports of the 7D's AF out performing the 5D in the field.

And I've used the 5D's outer focus points since 2005, and they've been fine - OK they're not fool proof, you can't expect them to work when there is no contrast so place them where there is some contrast.

The center point of the 5DII is very good - the equal of the 7D in most situations with a static subject, IMO.  But the off-center points of the 7D are just about as good as the 5DII's center point, and much better than the 5DII's peripheral points.

In FoCal's test, the rather big surprise is how inaccurate and variable contrast-detect AF is on both the 5DII and the 7D. 

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 11:21:48 AM »
In FoCal's test, the rather big surprise is how inaccurate and variable contrast-detect AF is on both the 5DII and the 7D.
I didn't know that and expected my 60d af to be always spot on - is this your personal experience or do you have sources on that? Afaik even lensrentals uses contrast af as the comparison for perfect af accuracy?

, the battery drain with wifi and GPS turned on is quite significant
... as far as I've read wifi is the main culprit, while gps surprisingly seems to draw little power when the interval is set to 60sec.

Why do the mention - "Relatively unsophisticated Auto ISO"?
Because there's Magic Lantern with sophisticated auto iso :-)

Imho the 6d is still overpriced and certainly not a feather in Canon's cap, but you are either ignorant or trolling: The list of advantages of the 6d over the older 5d2 is significant, though we know Canon felt like downgrading some core specs (x-sync, shutter speed, shutter rating): http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=12582.msg226467#msg226467

... but you might feel different about writing home about the 6d after trying to use the d600 af in low light.The main part in the dpreview review that was missing from the preview is this:

Focus acquisition on the EOS 6D displays all the hallmarks of mature phase detection AF performance. The camera is quick to lock focus and under most conditions does so with a high degree of accuracy. In reviewing hundreds of images shot with the 6D, the vast majority of shots that did lack critical sharpness were due to either subject or camera movement.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 11:21:48 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 11:35:11 AM »
I didn't know that and expected my 60d af to be always spot on - is this your personal experience or do you have sources on that? Afaik even lensrentals uses contrast af as the comparison for perfect af accuracy?

You can access it here-

5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 11:36:55 AM »

Was basing that on FoCal's data linked above, but anecdotally I have noticed misfocused shots with Live View AF on the 5DII.  I'm not sure what LensRentals uses as a standard, but for actual lens sharpness testing (as opposed to AF performance testing), AF should not be used at all - instead, manual focus bracketing (or distance bracketing with a rail) should be used, with the sharpest of the resulting shots selected.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 11:36:55 AM »