September 01, 2014, 07:29:17 AM

Author Topic: DPReview: Canon EOS 6D Reviewed  (Read 10561 times)

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: DPReview: Canon EOS 6D Reviewed
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 12:17:20 PM »
This camera was a tough one for me to decide on. Every camera has its ups and downs but I truly felt that this camera was less about some rumored tech that we all wanted like 4D video, 1080p @60fps, an extra 2 stops of DR, or something along those lines. Instead it was as if Canon was intentionally disabling features and including others to make this camera not step on the toes of any other camera available. As a result, it almost felt like this concoction of features from a variety of other cameras rather than a camera built with a specific user and a specific purpose. There were too many missing video features for this to be a video guys camera, too many missing controls for this to be a professional body, too high a price for this to be an average Joes consumer or vacation camera. However, other than the price, this seems like the perfect camera for someone who loves the t4i or 60D but wants the image quality of the 5D mark III. If you are or were ever interested in the 5D or 1D cameras, you may be a little disappointed using this camera, though not at all disappointed at the quality it produces. And that is why this review is so difficult. This camera oozes great image and even video quality, but getting it to produce this quality is more of a struggle than with the 5D mark III. Having a center focus point as the only decent point, lacking a white balance button and quick access to some controls, difficult to access video settings, not having backup card slots, no custom file naming abilities...and things of that nature just made me pick this camera up much less than any other camera I own. The small size and weight reduction didn’t quite make it worth it for me to put down my 5D, unlike some mirrorless cameras by Fuji for example. Thus, I maintain that if you are wanting or considering a 5D mark III, this is NOT a mini 5D mark III in many ways. However, if you want a T4i or 60D but are disappointed with the image quality they produce and you are lusting over the Full Frame advantages, you will love this Canon 6D.

There is a full review at the site: http://learningcameras.com/reviews/4-dslrs/91-canon-6d-review

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 12:17:20 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 12:44:31 PM »
I notice a pattern with the 5DIII and 6D:

Canon introduces the camera, the internets light up with complaints (too expensive, not enough improvement, features "crippled" etc. etc.)

Then the camera finally hits the users' hands and within about three months the complaints start to melt away as real users get hands on experience.

Turns out the only legitimate complaint about the 5DIII seems to have been the cost. But, the market is fixing that.

It now appears that 6D users are pleasantly surprised at how good this camera is for the price and how close it is to the 5DIII in the area that counts (the quality of the images).

As someone who is anxiously waiting to see what they do with the 7DII, I'm now expecting two things to happen. First, whatever Canon produces will cause all sorts of trolling on the internets from the usual suspects and, Second, once the 7DII is out for a few months, real users will be impressed with what a solid performer it turns out to be.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 04:34:36 PM »
In FoCal's test, the rather big surprise is how inaccurate and variable contrast-detect AF is on both the 5DII and the 7D.
I didn't know that and expected my 60d af to be always spot on - is this your personal experience or do you have sources on that? Afaik even lensrentals uses contrast af as the comparison for perfect af accuracy?

The 'inaccuracy' refers to low-contrast scenes -- obviously.

Don't use contrast AF for low contrast focus points -- unless you are not a photographer but a camera tester instead.

(PS I am amazed by posters on canonrumors -- all wannabe camera testers instead of being photographers after cameras that meet their *real* needs. We can all make up 'pretend' needs for excellent focus on low contrast areas using contrast-detect AF -- but IMHO you are an idiot if you can't work around such a silly need).

(PPS I suppose as soon as a camera comes out with focus points in all four extreme corners of the frame, 99% of canonrumors posters are going to 'need' it in their cameras --- it will become a 'deal breaker'. When that happens I will be laughing at you even harder than I am today).

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 07:43:30 PM »
In FoCal's test, the rather big surprise is how inaccurate and variable contrast-detect AF is on both the 5DII and the 7D.
I didn't know that and expected my 60d af to be always spot on - is this your personal experience or do you have sources on that? Afaik even lensrentals uses contrast af as the comparison for perfect af accuracy?

Since I only heard about this now and didn't have time to read up on the tests it was news to me - but fortunately there are very clever people here to point out the obvious :-> ... I was just wondering if I can use contrast af for shooting test charts after getting a new lens, or if I have to take multiple exposures to allow for some af error - but as I understand now high-contrast b/w charts should achieve good focus.

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 08:10:01 PM »
... I was just wondering if I can use contrast af for shooting test charts after getting a new lens, or if I have to take multiple exposures to allow for some af error - but as I understand now high-contrast b/w charts should achieve good focus.

Correct, you will have no problem. Simple to check if AF is on target: chimp and zoom in.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 08:20:51 PM »

Rich (FoCal) would certainly have used the focus target for the software in conducting his AF tests - basically, it's a large QR-code with a concentric circle target in the middle. So, the test results show inaccuracies and inconsistencies with a very high contrast subject.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 04:01:14 AM »
I notice a pattern with the 5DIII and 6D:

Canon introduces the camera, the internets light up with complaints (too expensive, not enough improvement, features "crippled" etc. etc.)

Then the camera finally hits the users' hands and within about three months the complaints start to melt away as real users get hands on experience.

Turns out the only legitimate complaint about the 5DIII seems to have been the cost. But, the market is fixing that.

It now appears that 6D users are pleasantly surprised at how good this camera is for the price and how close it is to the 5DIII in the area that counts (the quality of the images).

As someone who is anxiously waiting to see what they do with the 7DII, I'm now expecting two things to happen. First, whatever Canon produces will cause all sorts of trolling on the internets from the usual suspects and, Second, once the 7DII is out for a few months, real users will be impressed with what a solid performer it turns out to be.
I guess it's the dynamics of an online forum. But I would argue that we still see a lot of complaining about the 5D3 so some of these trolls must be very persistent.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 04:01:14 AM »

tortilla

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 11:43:39 AM »
And finally it will be considered as what it is: a decent camera. That's Rogers law: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/rogers-law-of-new-product-introduction

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »
And finally it will be considered as what it is: a decent camera.

All current dlsrs are "decent", imho it's only about "value", i.e. performance vs. price - and since the price curve is unpredictable (see 5d3 price drop) imho it isn't as easy as the previous posts above or the (humorous!) lens rentals article suggest.

Esp. with the rather "basic" feature set of the 6d the price is a main component, while the 5d3 with better specs and esp. the af system will keep being "really" decent for a long time to come but the 6d will be more quickly regarded as "only" decent since it's mostly the previous 5d2 generation tech. That won't hinder me from buying a 6d, but I'm aware of the 5d3/6d difference.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 01:19:43 PM »
And finally it will be considered as what it is: a decent camera. That's Rogers law: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/rogers-law-of-new-product-introduction
That's great. Leave it to Roger to cut through all the bull and get right to the heart.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

t.linn

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • You Must Have A Really Nice Camera
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 07:36:04 PM »
I would not be posting except for CR's comment about the AF.  I've found the improved AF of the 5D3 has expanded the type of subject matter that I shoot.  For me, it is a revolutionary improvement.  I could not go back to my 5D2—ever.  To be clear, my point is not to denigrate the 6D but rather to provide an alternative viewpoint to CR's "it's better but it doesn't really matter" view on the 5D3's AF.

Having said that, I have to chime in with the subsequent poster who lamented Canon's pathetic DR limitations on all its DSLR's.  Canon has stood still in this critical area of IQ while Sony (and thus Nikon) has lapped them several times over.  It is completely appropriate that we, Canon customers, share our disappointment.  Part of getting this message to Canon is getting it to others who may not be aware of just how much better other sensors are in this regard.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 11:22:37 PM »
I guess it's the dynamics of an online forum. But I would argue that we still see a lot of complaining about the 5D3 so some of these trolls must be very persistent.
Fair criticism of a Camera is not "trolling" any more than fair praise of a camera. It is being rational. Fanboys on the other hand, are seldom rational. So lets quit calling people names.

-h
I think you know that I didn't mean fair criticism and I didn't call people names here.

At least I haven't seen someone shouting out: 'That's it, I'm moving to Nikon' for a while, maybe that means they finally did.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 11:26:54 PM »
That's great. Leave it to Roger to cut through all the bull and get right to the heart.
Great stuff. Where is the 5D3 now? Has it reached the point where it is a useful tool yet? What about the 6D?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 11:26:54 PM »

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 09:30:17 AM »
At least I haven't seen someone shouting out: 'That's it, I'm moving to Nikon' for a while, maybe that means they finally did.

Well, if I would move to full-frame, I would definitely move to Nikon D800. Not for the megapixels. For DR and image quality at +2 EV compared to anything from Canon shy of 5000 Euro.

And I will happily repeat, that  the  6D is a poor piece of crap, a warmed-over 5D2, without any real advantage as far as sensoran d IQ is concerned. And with an AF-System that is only really suitable to "central-AF point users". A Canon marketing-cripple all around. 

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 10:46:53 AM »
And I will happily repeat, that  the  6D is a poor piece of crap, a warmed-over 5D2, without any real advantage as far as sensoran d IQ is concerned.

The 6d has less banding, a problem that seems to have plagued a lot of 5d2 shooters, and Nikon only has more dr in low iso. That doesn't make the 6d a more innovative camera - but without putting too much a fine point on it, I don't think you'll let facts stand in the way of your opinion anyway.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 10:46:53 AM »