November 23, 2014, 04:09:51 AM

Author Topic: Review - Canon EF 40 f/2.8 STM  (Read 27834 times)

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Review - Canon EF 40 f/2.8 STM
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 10:58:43 AM »
To those who don't know what to do with the Shorty McForty...

...take the grip off your 5D (or, better, the 6D!) and put on a wrist strap, put it in green square mode, turn on live view, and now, as far as non-photographers are concerned, all you've got is a slightly oversized P&S camera. Hand it around the table at the party and nobody will think twice. As a wedding photographer, get in the conga line with the rest of the guests taking snapshots. Use it on the street.

You've got something that, even at second glance, to most people, just looks like a high-end P&S camera. And not a one of them will realize that it's really the reigning IQ / low light monster it actually is.

And, yes -- the optics in the lens are right up there with any L zoom, including the latest ones.

And, if nothing else? It makes a perfectly serviceable body cap....

Cheers,

b&

+1 but a slight disagree on the highlighted text. The only place the cameras go once they are out of my hands is the camera bag or the dry cabinet! Can't trust passing $3000 worth equipment to guests around a table having the town's best bitter  ;)
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 10:58:43 AM »

caMARYnon

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 11:26:21 AM »
It's a lightweight sharp lens that works.. If you're into street photography, it's a nice lens for it (full-frame: 40mm, crop sensor: 64mm).

I did notice that my lens tends to forget to focus (when on AF), and the remedy is usually to remount it again; I think something is wrong with the connectors. I checked with another friend that has it, and he's encountering it too.. Anybody else experiencing that?
From usa.canon:
Firmware Version 1.2.0 addresses the following phenomenon.
1. If pressure is applied to the lens barrel while the lens is mounted to the camera (pressure can be applied even while attaching the lens cap or while carrying the camera with the lens attached in a bag), the autofocusing function of the lens may stop working.
Firmware Version 1.2.0 is for lenses with Firmware Version 1.1.0. If the lens' firmware is already Version 1.2.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
The lenses with the following serial numbers are equipped with Firmware Version 1.1.0:
The third digit in the serial number is either 0, 1, or 2 (xx0xxxxxxx, xx1xxxxxxx, or xx2xxxxxxx).
Lenses with serial numbers other than those listed above are equipped with Firmware Version 1.2.0.

5D mkIII + P&S S45; 35 f/2 IS; 100 f/2.8L IS; 70-200 f/4L IS; 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 1,4x III; 600EX-RT; 270EX

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 11:26:49 AM »
From a magazine editor's standpoint, this is pretty blah with uninspiring images. Very little useful information.

Roger, at LensRentals said all that needs to be said in four sentences:

"This is really an amazing lens. Little pancakes are cute and all, but usually aren’t of very good image quality. This one has exceptional image quality and does it at an amazing price. Probably the best bargain of a prime lens that exists, anywhere, for anything."

I don't disagree with you, I had this lens for MONTHS and never got much out of it. Or maybe I never put much into it. Either way, mileage may vary, and it's a good thing you're not my editor ;)

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 11:29:37 AM »
The question kept distracting me through the whole review:

Did you REALLY pour syrup on the pancake??? I imagine it would have been much too sweet for the pancake’s own good.

Ha ha, NO. I did consider it, but I figured a way around that.  I have a larger version of that shot on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jvlphoto/8470288929/#

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
That's called a review these days? Amazing. Why not make a head line out of the other 100 reviews of that lens?

I could have, but I'd assume you've already read those.

Review, maybe be a misnomer at times, it's my experience, my recommendations, for or against, or neutral.  I felt blah about the lens and thus, it is a blah review.  When I'm excited about something, that shows too (I hope).

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 11:36:05 AM »
Not sure I understand the people complaining about this review. Since when have the reviews here been anything more than personal, real-world usage? That's what's good about them. If you want the technical, $1000 worth of software and optic-testing equipment reviews, you know where to go to get that.

I thought it was a good review, and provided some real-world perspective. If I had to complain, and this isn't a complaint so much as a question, why didn't you use it for some short videos. I mean, isn't this lens primarily aimed at DSLR video use over still photo?

I would totally buy this lens over the nifty-50 based on the tighter build quality alone, not to mention the focusing system.

Thank you! I was about to punch myself in the face.

Why no video? I don't actually shoot video with it - though I did have a discussion about it with some friends recently. If you're fixed focus everything about this makes sense, though anyone serious about video may need some level of manual focus ability and the very tiny MF ring at the front doesn't make this easy, or accurate.  There's also no distance indicator for MF... so really it's great for video if you use the built-in AF (few people I know do) or if your focus is fixed.

Still, sharp lens, light weight, there's advantages to that.

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 11:40:53 AM »
Guys don't be too hard on the reviewer. Like any review it is but one man' opinion and personal criteria. I had the 50/1.8 and I rather have the 40/2.8 due to the optical quality.

I had Cps upgrade my firmware the day I bout it.

I think you make a good point. Not everyone needs or wants optical quality, and some people absolutely require it. I was very impressed with the quality of the images I took with the lens - but I only took photos with this lens when I was in more social environments, leaving it behind on assignment with a few exceptions when I forced myself to use it specifically for the review. 50 1.8 = bokeh and shallow dof 40 2.8 = image quality, both are small, affordable and pocketable. Heck, maybe people should buy both!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 11:40:53 AM »

Sporgon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 11:50:16 AM »
From a magazine editor's standpoint, this is pretty blah with uninspiring images. Very little useful information.

Roger, at LensRentals said all that needs to be said in four sentences:

"This is really an amazing lens. Little pancakes are cute and all, but usually aren’t of very good image quality. This one has exceptional image quality and does it at an amazing price. Probably the best bargain of a prime lens that exists, anywhere, for anything."

+1

I don't think the reviewer's conclusion has done this lens justice. The innuendo is that this lens is 'quite good for the money', and this is misleading - it's very good in it's own right irrespective of cost. The centre is as good as the 50 1.4 at f2.8, from f4 to f11 it has superb across-the-frame sharpness, and it is a modern 'for digital' lens which controls the digital clipping to highlight' better than made for film lenses IMO  :)

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 6D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 11:59:07 AM »
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=7114.180

Here are some photos I took with the pancake on my 5D3 recently. 

I tried it on my T2i for street photography (my first attempt at street work) and was not too happy with that combo.  I missed my stabilized kit lens.  However on the 5D3, it really shines.  I was using the camera on auto ISO and taking advantage of the wide range of usable ISO.
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 12:07:10 PM »
I don't think the reviewer's conclusion has done this lens justice. The innuendo is that this lens is 'quite good for the money', and this is misleading - it's very good in it's own right irrespective of cost. The centre is as good as the 50 1.4 at f2.8, from f4 to f11 it has superb across-the-frame sharpness, and it is a modern 'for digital' lens which controls the digital clipping to highlight' better than made for film lenses IMO  :)

Funny, I did like using it for Pano's - but we didn't include them in the review since they're not reflective of the lens from a stand-alone POV.  And you're right, hopefully people read through the forum here to see that it is a good lens, I did try to say that, though still being generally unimpressed I couldn't come out saying how great something is despite not really being able to put it to good use myself.  Obviously sharpness tests and stuff are available in spades across the internet, which will never be my focus.

Thanks!

JVL

caMARYnon

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 12:09:53 PM »
I love the 40.  My normal use for this lens is everyday except the weekend, I have it when I drive to or from the office. Like Trumpetpower said: looks like a high-end P&S camera .
Another excellent use is when I'm using 70-200 but I want to have something good for a relative wide image.
5D mkIII + P&S S45; 35 f/2 IS; 100 f/2.8L IS; 70-200 f/4L IS; 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 1,4x III; 600EX-RT; 270EX

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 12:10:50 PM »
I love the 40.  My normal use for this lens is everyday except the weekend, I have it when I drive to or from the office. Like Trumpetpower said: looks like a high-end P&S camera .
Another excellent use is when I'm using 70-200 but I want to have something good for a relative wide image.

Smart kit.

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 12:13:25 PM »
One thing I found easy enough to do with the lens was create pano's if I wanted to exaggerate the dof while expanding my fov. Because the nodal point of this lens is essentially on-axis to the camera, it's pretty easy to not screw up (that and software has gotten pretty good at forgiving my errors).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 12:13:25 PM »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »
You call that shi7 syrup?  It's CRAP.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 12:34:30 PM »
You call that shi7 syrup?  It's CRAP.

Ha ha, I bought it *specifically* for the shoot. I wouldn't feed my kids with it, but 100% pure maple syrup is a bit expensive to go pouring over a lens for one shot ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 12:34:30 PM »