August 20, 2014, 11:20:28 PM

Author Topic: Review - Canon EF 40 f/2.8 STM  (Read 25597 times)

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Review - Canon EF 40 f/2.8 STM
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 01:05:17 PM »
You call that shi7 syrup?  It's CRAP.

Ha ha, I bought it *specifically* for the shoot. I wouldn't feed my kids with it, but 100% pure maple syrup is a bit expensive to go pouring over a lens for one shot ;)

Not only that, but the cheap S___ has all sorts of thickeners that make it more photogenic. Perhaps not surprisingly, they also do a good job at thickening those who eat it....

I'd do two things for that shot, though...first, I'd transfer the syrup to a small pitcher so it wasn't so obvious that it's the cheap S___...and I'd also consider using motor oil / transmission oil / Slick 50 / etc. instead of syrup.

...it would depend, of course, on whether or not the lens was intended to remain functional after the shot. I'd probably ask Canon for a warranty reject destined for the scrap heap for a donor lens, but I know there're photo shoots where nobody would bat an eye at a few hundred spent on props.

Cheers,

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 01:05:17 PM »

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 01:11:58 PM »
You call that shi7 syrup?  It's CRAP.

Ha ha, I bought it *specifically* for the shoot. I wouldn't feed my kids with it, but 100% pure maple syrup is a bit expensive to go pouring over a lens for one shot ;)

Not only that, but the cheap S___ has all sorts of thickeners that make it more photogenic. Perhaps not surprisingly, they also do a good job at thickening those who eat it....

I'd do two things for that shot, though...first, I'd transfer the syrup to a small pitcher so it wasn't so obvious that it's the cheap S___...and I'd also consider using motor oil / transmission oil / Slick 50 / etc. instead of syrup.

...it would depend, of course, on whether or not the lens was intended to remain functional after the shot. I'd probably ask Canon for a warranty reject destined for the scrap heap for a donor lens, but I know there're photo shoots where nobody would bat an eye at a few hundred spent on props.

Cheers,

b&

Good points, I don't do a lot of product photos so it's learn as I go. I think cheap plastic tubs might even be more recognizable for a certain demographic, just not Canadians or people who buy expensive camera gear.

And I didn't really pour it on the lens, I fashioned a dummy container then masked the lens in from a separate shot.

dolina

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 01:16:45 PM »
I bought the 40/2.8 for street and social gatherings. Essentially this is my go to lens if I want the lightest possible SLR setup that still has L-like image quality.

Traditional street has you stopping down to f/8 and at a focal length of 35-50mm on full frame. What this baby lack is a depth of field scale so you can easily do zone focusing. I do wish it was a 2.0 like that Voightlander equivalent.

The pancake is the 2nd cheapest lens amongst all Canon lenses. The 50/1.8 is the cheapest lens at $100.

Guys don't be too hard on the reviewer. Like any review it is but one man' opinion and personal criteria. I had the 50/1.8 and I rather have the 40/2.8 due to the optical quality.

I had Cps upgrade my firmware the day I bout it.

I think you make a good point. Not everyone needs or wants optical quality, and some people absolutely require it. I was very impressed with the quality of the images I took with the lens - but I only took photos with this lens when I was in more social environments, leaving it behind on assignment with a few exceptions when I forced myself to use it specifically for the review. 50 1.8 = bokeh and shallow dof 40 2.8 = image quality, both are small, affordable and pocketable. Heck, maybe people should buy both!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:22:59 PM by dolina »
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 01:17:48 PM »
And I didn't really pour it on the lens, I fashioned a dummy container then masked the lens in from a separate shot.

Indeed, ELA suggests that and a couple other PS manipulations...but it was well done!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:20:53 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

rhblmhb

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 01:21:12 PM »
Isn't one of the biggest benefits of this lens that it utilizes the STM focusing system which allows continual auto-focusing while taking video? Everything in the review was what I expected from the lens but to leave that out seems like an oversight.

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 01:22:21 PM »

Indeed, ELA suggests that and a couple other PS manipulations...but it was well done!

Thanks, that's an interesting site, though I'm not quite sure how to read the "results"

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2013, 01:23:55 PM »

Thanks, that's an interesting site, though I'm not quite sure how to read the "results"

http://fotoforensics.com/tutorial-ela.php
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2013, 01:23:55 PM »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2013, 01:27:37 PM »

Neither am I, though I'll heartily agree that the post-processing was very well done. I haven't critically examined it, but it's at least good enough that it doesn't make one think that critical examination is necessary -- which translates to, "Mission Accomplished!"

Cheers,

b&

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 01:51:28 PM »
I love carrying the shorty 40 either in a walkabout kit as a pocket or back throw in with a longer lens (telephoto zoom or 135L).  I recently traveled with the 24-105L, 135L, 1.4x and shorty forty.  All of this went comfortably into a smallish sling bag and was a great combination.  I did everything from landscapes to 3 portrait shoots on the trip.  The shorty forty is a nice complement to the 135L for environmental portraits.

40mm is a nice "woods" length lens.  Wide enough, and the sharpness is as good as anything I've got for things like that.  It is also very sharp at minimum focus distance, which allows for some very crisp leaf or flower shots like this:

Hanging Around by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

I do disagree with the reviewer as to this lens vs the 50mm f/1.8.  The 40mm, while a slower aperture, is perfectly usable wide open, has much better color rendition, smoother transition to ooF, better build quality, and, of course, focuses much faster and quieter.  IMO on a full frame body the 40mm is a preferable focal length (I prefer the 35mm range to the 50mm).
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 01:56:47 PM »

http://fotoforensics.com/tutorial-ela.php

Tl;dr :-P

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2013, 01:57:58 PM »
I love carrying the shorty 40 either in a walkabout kit as a pocket or back throw in with a longer lens (telephoto zoom or 135L).  I recently traveled with the 24-105L, 135L, 1.4x and shorty forty.  All of this went comfortably into a smallish sling bag and was a great combination.  I did everything from landscapes to 3 portrait shoots on the trip.  The shorty forty is a nice complement to the 135L for environmental portraits.

40mm is a nice "woods" length lens.  Wide enough, and the sharpness is as good as anything I've got for things like that.  It is also very sharp at minimum focus distance, which allows for some very crisp leaf or flower shots like this:

Hanging Around by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

I do disagree with the reviewer as to this lens vs the 50mm f/1.8.  The 40mm, while a slower aperture, is perfectly usable wide open, has much better color rendition, smoother transition to ooF, better build quality, and, of course, focuses much faster and quieter.  IMO on a full frame body the 40mm is a preferable focal length (I prefer the 35mm range to the 50mm).

Perfect counter points, a great addendum to my own experience. We just need a video person in this forum and it's all covered!

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 02:42:49 PM »
I love my shorty.  sure I don't use it everyday but it helps out the shoulders/neck when walking around all day at an amusement park.  I use it for it's intended purpose.  non-mission-critical, casual photography when I don't want to lug around the big guns.  It's the ninja lens.  The rest of my guys are big Samurai and Sumo wrestlers!
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

dlheidemann

• Power Shot G16
  • Canon 60D - dlheidemann.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 03:34:05 PM »
I picked one of these up not too long ago and I'm totally loving it. With my zoom lenses I find I'm always hovering around the 40mm range anyway, so it seemed pretty obvious. The price is fantastic and the image quality is pretty dang good if you ask me.

I feel like prime lenses of all types force you to think about photography differently. It makes you interact with your subject in a different and what I think is an ultimately more organic way. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 03:34:05 PM »

Alex

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2013, 04:30:08 PM »
Please tell me that wasn't actually a real 40mm having syrup poured over it and that it was photoshopped

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2013, 06:54:47 PM »
Please tell me that wasn't actually a real 40mm having syrup poured over it and that it was photoshopped

Okay.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2013, 06:54:47 PM »