September 16, 2014, 04:05:27 PM

Author Topic: What if the rumored 5Dx is actually a 4D?  (Read 15861 times)

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: What if the rumored 5Dx is actually a 4D?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 04:35:36 PM »
Seems strange to me that Nikon didn't offer a mRAW and/or sRAW on their D800. To me it suggests they're slightly out of touch with what people actually want

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 04:35:36 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 05:37:38 PM »

And as you said elsewhere on this site, without high fps, you can't take good photos :P

Obviously the mods removing your previous remark and susequent rebuttals to the same effect wasn't sufficient to prevent you from having another go at the expired horse....

Thank you for your insightful comment. Now would you like to comment on the topic of the 5Dx/4D?

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 06:18:55 PM »
One way of looking at the upcoming Canon product line is to posit that the order in which the flagships were introduced was flipped...

1) 1D mark IV was replaced by 1DX ...a faster lower MP body (yes it happens to be full frame and not APS-H)
2) 1Ds mark III is yet to be truly replaced...though canon earlier claimed that 1DX is that replacement...I think the rumored higher MP body (1DsX?) is the real candidate that is destined to occupy the slot left vaccant by 1Ds Mark III.

The anticipated higher MP body (1DsX?) could likely have ~35-45MP, lower fps, 1DX metering and AF, other 1 series perks, and if you buy into this hypothesis, we can expect the price range to be pegged higher than the current 1DX, at may be $7.5 K to $8.5K, not that far from its original predecessors. They may throw in a few bonuses like GPS and wifi...while pro's were never really dying for such features, they won't say no to it either if offered.

Whatever its final form, this new entry is bound to be a substantive body with an impressive feature list.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 06:21:36 PM by Ray2021 »
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »

And as you said elsewhere on this site, without high fps, you can't take good photos :P

Obviously the mods removing your previous remark and susequent rebuttals to the same effect wasn't sufficient to prevent you from having another go at the expired horse....

Thank you for your insightful comment. Now would you like to comment on the topic of the 5Dx/4D?

...and thank you for flagrantly misrepresenting what I said.  Now would you like to provide a link to where I stated, "Without high fps, you can't take good photos," or, perhaps you'd like to suggest that the 5Dx/4D will actually be a lens, and not a camera?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 06:35:24 PM »
Canon can call it whatever it wants, but the product line can certainly benefit from a true successor to the 1DsIII. I have no use for a mega megapixel body, but know lots of people that are still hanging on to their 1DsIIIs because neither the 1Dx or 5DIII are compelling enough reasons to trade them in.

IMHO, it makes more sense to build a high megapixel body around the 5D platform, as the 1-series build quality and form factor are overkill for studio work. A lot of the used 1DsIII bodies on ebay have well over 100,000 clicks but look practically new.   

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 09:29:18 AM »
Canon can call it whatever it wants, but the product line can certainly benefit from a true successor to the 1DsIII. I have no use for a mega megapixel body, but know lots of people that are still hanging on to their 1DsIIIs because neither the 1Dx or 5DIII are compelling enough reasons to trade them in.

IMHO, it makes more sense to build a high megapixel body around the 5D platform, as the 1-series build quality and form factor are overkill for studio work. A lot of the used 1DsIII bodies on ebay have well over 100,000 clicks but look practically new.

seems about right. wise words. for studio use you won't need a brick...
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 10:05:37 AM »

[/quote]
+1

Same thing can be said about landscaping and hiking / traveling.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 10:05:37 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 10:14:22 AM »
What's in a name?  But in the case of Canon it matters.

If the new body were a new series altogether, it shall need to be substantially different from the 5d series. It can't be only a simple MP upgrade.

Personally, I expect it to be a 5Ds and not a 5Dx.
5D3, 6D
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 600RT x 4
I have more photo gear than I need. The blame lies squarely with Canonrumors

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 10:36:38 AM »

To think that the high MP offering will be housed in a 5D-range body, or 5D-like body, or anywhere within the vicinity of 5D3 price (even double) is a pipe-dream in Technicolor.

It will be a 1 series or "1-series-like".
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:40:34 AM by Ray2021 »
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

marinien

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 12:03:29 PM »
Either way, high MP will mean low fps.

According to dilbert: high fps gives you more chances to have good photos = without high fps, you can't take good photos  ::)
7D | EF-S 17-55 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro | 580EX II | Benro C3780T + Markins M20

marinien

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »

...and thank you for flagrantly misrepresenting what I said.  Now would you like to provide a link to where I stated, "Without high fps, you can't take good photos," or, perhaps you'd like to suggest that the 5Dx/4D will actually be a lens, and not a camera?

but, but, ... Neuro, you promised stop beating that horse  ;D
7D | EF-S 17-55 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro | 580EX II | Benro C3780T + Markins M20

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 12:13:21 PM »
but, but, ... Neuro, you promised stop beating that horse  ;D

"You see what I did? I didn't let it lie."  --Harry Burns (Billy Crystal in When Harry Met Sally)   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »

...and thank you for flagrantly misrepresenting what I said.  Now would you like to provide a link to where I stated, "Without high fps, you can't take good photos,"

You repeatedly insisted that high fps were required to take good photos and that skill was no replacement for this which obviously leads one to conclude that you're insisting that high fps is required to get good photos.

or, perhaps you'd like to suggest that the 5Dx/4D will actually be a lens, and not a camera?

Nope - It's going to be a horse, of course.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »

insanitybeard

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 12:56:52 PM »

My comment was about as insightful and relevent to the topic as your repeated belittling of anybody who wishes to use high speed burst on their camera. Don't want to use it yourself? Fine. But don't REPEATEDLY preach to the rest of us that by using it it somehow makes us devoid of any skill.
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 01:21:07 PM »
Seems strange to me that Nikon didn't offer a mRAW and/or sRAW on their D800. To me it suggests they're slightly out of touch with what people actually want

I can only speculate on what drives the purchasing decisions of other people.  From my experience of owning alll the 5D series of Canon cameras as well as most of the xxD series as well as a Nikon D800 and D800E, I have never needed to use a small raw format ever.  However I do find that the various cropping sizes on the D800 are very useful.  The most useful is that I can use full frame or aps-c lenses on the same camera.  This would be revolutionary for Canon.  But what Canon could do is to allow DX (aps-c) crop mode on an full frame camera.

Where do I use it.  Let us say I'm using my 300mm for a landscape shot accross a bay and then I spot an some wildlife where I need a longer reach.  I can quickly go into crop mode and choose the amount of crop by choosing the image area thereby saving the file in a smaller raw file as well as having a faster FPS.  Canon could do this but so far they haven't because their full frame cameras don't have enough MP to do the crop and still have enough MP for the frame.  Someday will really high MP, perhaps all cameras will allow a digital crop size so you can get any framing that you want (maybe even square - Nikon D800 has a very pleasant 5x4 format choice that saves some Raw size).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 01:21:07 PM »