August 20, 2014, 11:12:38 PM

Author Topic: 6D - error 30!!!  (Read 6149 times)

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
6D - error 30!!!
« on: February 15, 2013, 06:34:50 AM »
Im in iceland at the moment - I was shooting the northern lights (dream coming true!) and guess what happened!!

yes I had an error 30 on my camera that said to turn off and on the camera or re-install the battery. I did both of things but still was having it. the camera is only 2/3 weeks old. I was using kit lens 24-105. temperature was probably below 0 degrees. I thought it could be because of cold so I warmed up the battery putting inside my clothes, tried again but nothing. this morning I woke up and went to switch on the camera but it didnt even turned on, battery was maybe dead? so now im recharging the battery and writing this while i wait.

im afraid when I put on the battery again it will do the same error...
is there any way around this?? i cant send it back to repair, i need it here right now in iceland for another 4 days!!
trip of my life and camera does that...!!! im not happy at all..

canon rumors FORUM

6D - error 30!!!
« on: February 15, 2013, 06:34:50 AM »

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: 6D - error 30!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 06:46:52 AM »
It could be wether condition related, I remember reading about some 5d mark II cameras biting the dust in artic conditions. Do you have another battery to try? I would start there to rule out the battery as being the culprit!

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 06:47:27 AM »
Oh dear! Try charging the battery and see if the same error comes up again.

Err 30 is shutter failure and if that is indeed the case, then there is no quick fix for the problem. It has to be sent for repairs.

Light is language!

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 07:01:11 AM »
no I don't have a backup battery..  :'(

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 07:16:28 AM »
What was the temperature. The 6D's operating temperature is recommended at from 0-40C though I feel that it is not too rigid.

I'd recommend you take the camera to the Canon store in Iceland and give it a try with a different battery so that you can at least isolate the problem. 
Light is language!

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 07:39:25 AM »
Try to rent a similar camera. It will be a pity to come back without photos. Then you can have your camera serviced.

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 09:03:31 AM »
im going to the camera shop here in reykjavik, try another battery.. as the same problem is showing up with fully charged battery.

renting another camera is out of question.. worst case scenario, will use my iphone to take pics for the rest of the trip..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 09:03:31 AM »

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 09:10:24 AM »
I feel very sorry for you, man. pfffff....
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 09:17:54 AM »
What was the temperature. The 6D's operating temperature is recommended at from 0-40C though I feel that it is not too rigid.

Doh - does this happen often? I have shot up to -10 degrees Celsius this winter, I hope I didn't risk the shutter because that wouldn't have been worth it (my 60d is also 0 to 40 degrees C).

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 09:22:36 AM »

Doh - does this happen often? I have shot up to -10 degrees Celsius this winter, I hope I didn't risk the shutter because that wouldn't have been worth it (my 60d is also 0 to 40 degrees C).

Operating below the suggested temperature will not result in any permanent problem. The camera can, in theory, stop functioning temporarily and/or report a freak error.

The main reason I say that because i believe that extreme cold can possibly affect the mechanical movements in a camera. Saying that, I've shot in -15C this season with the 5d3 without any problems. Can't say about the 6D as it has not been in the extremes yet ... It will suffer from heat though, close to 48C + this summer.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:48:20 AM by J.R. »
Light is language!

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 09:26:20 AM »

Iv'e also got a 60D and have shot for hours below 0C. It has spent 3 days between -10C and 0C without a chance to warm up and I have used it down to -30C ( only outside for about 90 minutes) and it seems to have had no problems. I can't see shooting at 0C causing problems.....

Worst case..... pick up a cheap rebel at the camera store, shoot with it for the rest of the trip, and sell it when you get back.
The best camera is the one in your hands

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 10:06:49 AM »
Chuck Westfall discusses the potential issues of using the EOS cameras in very low temperatures here -

http://www.prophotohome.com/forum/canon-1-series-digital-slr-eos-5d/73967-low-temperature-30f-digital-photography.html#post450352

He says that the extreme cold is unlikely to result in a shutter problem though!

The 5d2 camera failures in an Antartic expedition were also publicised quite a bit. Go here if you want to have a look-

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/antarctica-2009-worked.shtml
Light is language!

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 11:11:59 AM »

Worst case..... pick up a cheap rebel at the camera store, shoot with it for the rest of the trip, and sell it when you get back.

I didn't win the lottery to buy cameras like that mate.. was already a stretch to get this one.
went to a shop tried a different battery and nothing changed. needs to go back.
gonna have to shoot the rest of the trip with my iphone..  :'(

the camera was out whole day at 1 / 2ºC i guess at night went down to -2. I only had about 600 shots with the camera.. i'm disappointed with canon! Also earlier had a very few drops from light rain. my old 350d had been in worse conditions and survived very well!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:17:31 AM by pakosouthpark »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 11:11:59 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 11:32:31 AM »

I didn't win the lottery to buy cameras like that mate.. was already a stretch to get this one.

the camera was out whole day at 1 / 2ºC i guess at night went down to -2. I only had about 600 shots with the camera.. i'm disappointed with canon! Also earlier had a very few drops from light rain. my old 350d had been in worse conditions and survived very well!

send it for repairs to know what's exactly wrong before being disappointed.  As we all know, sometimes there's a bad apple among the production and this happens not only to Canon but for almost all manufacturers.  That's why it is also good to break-in your camera before going to extreme environments.  Good luck with your IPhone pictures though.  I hope it can serve you well.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:34:07 AM by verysimplejason »

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 12:05:58 PM »

send it for repairs to know what's exactly wrong before being disappointed.  As we all know, sometimes there's a bad apple among the production and this happens not only to Canon but for almost all manufacturers.  That's why it is also good to break-in your camera before going to extreme environments.  Good luck with your IPhone pictures though.  I hope it can serve you well.

i've been to richmond park in london on very similar conditions.. to test it, took quite a fiew shots..
yeah i guess instagram will help on those iphone shots..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 12:05:58 PM »