November 29, 2014, 12:33:12 AM

Author Topic: Gloves for Photography  (Read 7065 times)

brad goda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Gloves for Photography
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 03:33:42 AM »
does the color help when your fingers fall off and you can tell which one goes where...?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 03:33:42 AM »

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 03:36:41 AM »
Hey folks!

Just curious for anyones reccomendations for Gloves when out in the field doing some photography.
I use a DSLR but not a touchscreen so I dont need capacitative and fingerless is an option if people think it aids in dexterity/usage when using the camera.
Temperatures down to 0C or so and I might be planning a trip to Iceland at some stage so any input in this regard is also appreciated.

Thanks in advance!,
Nick.

I got some fantastic gloves from my wife for doing photography in the cold (I live in Norway). They are called Arc'teryx, and are quite expensive (approx 150 USD). I have used them several hours in minus 8 degrees celsius, with no problem. They are sensitive enough to do all you want with the camera without removing them (I can even use my iPhone with them). I cannot recomend them enough!
1Dx, 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
Canon A-1, 199A, FD: 24/2.8, 35/2.0, 100/2.8, Vivitar 400/5.6 Mamiya RZ67 pro ii, 50,110,180
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

brad goda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 03:47:45 AM »
Quasimoto...
those are the MX gloves? I just looked them up...!! wow the Arc'teryx products are like Patagonia to the extreme level but use mix of synthetic and natural products like leather... WOW cool oh.. warm
and yowza some gloves are like 275.00US... serious protection... THANK you! I will look through their site more!
great product... you lucky man have good wife!

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 05:20:38 AM »
Quasimoto...
those are the MX gloves? I just looked them up...!! wow the Arc'teryx products are like Patagonia to the extreme level but use mix of synthetic and natural products like leather... WOW cool oh.. warm
and yowza some gloves are like 275.00US... serious protection... THANK you! I will look through their site more!

Thank you!

I just called to the store to confirm the name: Arc'teryx MX Glove 11019. They cost 899,- NOK (approx 168 USD). I believe this is an Canadian company, so it might be cheaper to buy them there.

I saw someone else mentioning socks and footwear. I would add the second gift I got from my wife for shooting in the cold, which I bring all over - a buff made by National Geographic, add a Canada Goose Expedition parka, and my Timberland hat, and super underwear. You are good to go for some nasty weather! :)
1Dx, 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
Canon A-1, 199A, FD: 24/2.8, 35/2.0, 100/2.8, Vivitar 400/5.6 Mamiya RZ67 pro ii, 50,110,180
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »
I shoot in Tahoe quite a bit... especially at night. My hands and feet always suffered... until I found these items;

These gloves are great, they are preformed, thin but retain great body heat. (Funny that the one review is bad beacuse they are tight fitting, and the reason I like them) Windproof, waterproof Gor-tex, and thin so I can feel my equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Hardwear-Mens-EPIC-Gloves/dp/B006O1905U/ref=sr_1_9?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1360949156&sr=1-9&keywords=mountain+hardwear+gloves

I also tuck these into the palms... even in the (-) deg temps, these ward off the painfull cold.

http://www.amazon.com/HeatMax-Hot-Hands-Handwarmer-Pairs/dp/B0007ZF4OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360949096&sr=8-1&keywords=hand+warmers

Which brings me to my other cold sensitive pain suffering appendages... my feet. They also make ones for your feet. Between warm hands and warm feet, I can stay for hours without any discomfort.

http://www.amazon.com/Heatmax-Heated-Insole-Adhesive-Backing/dp/B004PH33NU/ref=sr_1_13?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1360949556&sr=1-13

These packs are way cheaper than electric hunting socks and gloves, disposable, and pennies if bought in bulk. I bought a case of 40 for hands and a case of 40 for  feet.  Hand and feet packs come with two each for both hands or both feet. They last years unused, I tuck a few into all my jackets and are great for more than just coldweather photography. They last for about 10-12 hours and are usually still "alive" long after I have made it home and in the middle of PP.

I use the same gloves....... and shoot a lot in Tahoe (Squaw/Northstar) at night~

kkelis

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 02:20:12 PM »
Quasimoto...

Thank you!

I just called to the store to confirm the name: Arc'teryx MX Glove 11019. They cost 899,- NOK (approx 168 USD). I believe this is an Canadian company, so it might be cheaper to buy them there.

I saw someone else mentioning socks and footwear. I would add the second gift I got from my wife for shooting in the cold, which I bring all over - a buff made by National Geographic, add a Canada Goose Expedition parka, and my Timberland hat, and super underwear. You are good to go for some nasty weather! :)

I also use Arcteryx the Vertic SV gloves. Waterproof,warm,breathable and very dexterous. I admit very pricey but they will last for ever. I like the removable fleece , in case you don't need the extra warmth you can remove the fleece and they become very dexterous.

What i would recommend is to go to a store and try them out, it is important to get the correct size. You could also take your camera and see if you can handle it.

What body are you using? I have fairly big hands and i find it very hard to shoot on my 600D with gloves. It is much easier to shoot on my 5DMKII because of the bigger body. I wish i could afford a 1 series...

MrFotoFool

• Canon 70D
  • 5D mk3
    • View Profile
    • HoodFineArt
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 02:56:38 PM »
You might be able to find some good gloves at your local bicycle shop.  They are sometimes called glove liners because they are meant to wear underneath the fingerless gloves cyclists wear all the time.  I have a pair from Bontrager, which is the brand of accessories made by Trek.  If you have an official Trek Bikes near you those are great.  I think these gloves are essentially the same as the official Photographers Gloves made by Lowepro, which is of course another option if there is a camera store near you that carries them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 02:56:38 PM »

dewa

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 03:03:06 PM »

gary samples

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 03:58:42 PM »
I use bow hunting gloves there camo & thermal and fairy thin cost like 20.00 got them from  cabela's

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 05:24:39 PM »
For moderate cold silk glove liners are great. Then if it gets colder or windy layer heavy gloves on top.

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 06:01:02 PM »

oldageadventurer

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • www.africaraw.com
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 03:23:19 AM »
Just a brief note about taking gloves if going on a photography safari in Southern Africa. In the Kgalagadi & Kalahari (SA, Namibia, Botswana) temperatures drop to minus 6 at night in winter i.e. July, August. All warms up in the sun by 1100. Since mainly shooting from the car no real problem. But we spend 4-6 months camping in the desert bush in our roof top tent above our landcruiser. Their is often ice on the tent walls in the morning and it would be painful  collapsing the tent & pushing in the folds every morning if I didnt have my Mammuth fingerless gloves with mittens (available in Europe).

brad goda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 03:27:50 AM »
this glove thread is getting better and better... LOVE the spider gloves and
those grover gloves are YAH WOW!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 03:27:50 AM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 01:15:29 PM »
WOW!  Great thread.  Since I do so much of my photography outdoors in all kinds of weather, this is a great read.  In my experience, the biggest challenge is achieving adequate warmth to the fingers but still being able to use the camera controls without much effort.  My solutions have evolved and change based on the situation, how cold and how long I'll be in the cold shooting.  It may have already been said but this is some of what I do....

-  Golf Gloves (For mild cool weather, low wind.  They are thin and light.)
-  Fingerless Wool (For cool to cold but not a long time.)
Seirus - HYPERLITEâ„¢ ALL WEATHERâ„¢ GLOVE  (Best solution so far.  Thin enough to wear under the wool fingerless if necc.)

http://tinyurl.com/b3fkl5g

The Seirus Hyperlite gloves I originally carried for hiking and trek pole use.  But they are thin enough to work the camera and still warmer than other alternatives due to the use of high tech materials.  They are designed for tactical gun use but also work great for holding trekking poles and cameras.  I used them this past weekend on a hiking trip for several hours shooting pictures in nighttime astronomy upper 30's temps, low to no wind.  Hands/fingers still got cold but only after an hour or more and very little exertion.  They aren't a perfect solution but so far, I haven't found a *perfect* thin glove solution.  (Where *perfect* means no long term finger/hand chill whatsoever.)  You still need to alternate the hands/fingers in and out of a warm pocket every so often to maintain comfort.

Keep in mind, even thick wind proof Snow Ski Gloves will eventually allow your fingers to get cold.  Mittens are the best way to keep warm but they are worthless for finger use.  So a warm pocket can usually help you keep fingers warm if you keep your gloved hands in pockets or under arms when not in use.

In general, look for the use of high tech synthetic moisture resistant materials like PolarTec, etc.  Stay away from cotton.  Wool is good but not thin enough.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »
Living up in "the great white north", I have lots of practice freezing my fingers in the cold, It's a warm day today at -12C :)

I use a lightweight liner glove so I can feel the buttons and twirl the wheels easily... After my shot I tuck my hands back into a warm mitten. With gloves, even heavier ones, you have too much surface area to radiate heat from... a mitten gives your hand a chance to get warm.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »