April 18, 2014, 12:45:25 PM

Author Topic: 7D Walt Disney World Setup Help: New Bag, What Gear?  (Read 3924 times)

RickSpringfield

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
7D Walt Disney World Setup Help: New Bag, What Gear?
« on: February 15, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »
So here is the deal ... heading to Walt Disney World sometime in 2013.  We'll fly, we'll drive from hotel to parks daily, we'll spend all day at the parks and we'll drive back to the hotel exhausted. I've been to WDW before ... but not ever felt gear prepared. 

Do we go on water rides ... Yes.  Do we go on roller coasters ... Yes.  Do we bake in the ridiculously hot sun for hours ... Yes.

Here are the big things.  I am pretty sure I need only to take the body and a couple lenses.  But, what bag should I put these in to carry all day long in those conditions?  I have a big bag that wont be going with me.

Looking for advice on what to take (or buy and take) gear wise as well as something fast and friendly but comfortable for the conditions to put it in.  Also, I own no filters.  Is that a biggy?

Stuff I have (open to taking or leaving) 7D, 24-104, 50/1.4, 100/2, 18-135/Depends

Considering this is one of the most photographed places in the world ... I thought it might be nice to get some advice from those who have done it ... or even similar activities.

Cheers :)

canon rumors FORUM

7D Walt Disney World Setup Help: New Bag, What Gear?
« on: February 15, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »

SteenerMe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: 7D Walt Disney World Setup Help: New Bag, What Gear?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 12:45:06 PM »
Bring a waterproof point and shoot and enjoy the time with family.  I carried around one body and lens and would never do it again. Theres just not that much to shoot that a nice point and shoot cant handle...and the hassle with the rides and the heat made it unenjoyable to have a dslr with.  Seaworld on the other hand was great with a dslr....
5DIII, 7D, 8-15L, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 50L, 100L

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 01:19:03 PM »
So here is the deal ... heading to Walt Disney World sometime in 2013.  We'll fly, we'll drive from hotel to parks daily, we'll spend all day at the parks and we'll drive back to the hotel exhausted. I've been to WDW before ... but not ever felt gear prepared. 

Do we go on water rides ... Yes.  Do we go on roller coasters ... Yes.  Do we bake in the ridiculously hot sun for hours ... Yes.

Here are the big things.  I am pretty sure I need only to take the body and a couple lenses.  But, what bag should I put these in to carry all day long in those conditions?  I have a big bag that wont be going with me.

Looking for advice on what to take (or buy and take) gear wise as well as something fast and friendly but comfortable for the conditions to put it in.  Also, I own no filters.  Is that a biggy?

Stuff I have (open to taking or leaving) 7D, 24-104, 50/1.4, 100/2, 18-135/Depends

Considering this is one of the most photographed places in the world ... I thought it might be nice to get some advice from those who have done it ... or even similar activities.

Lowepro toploader for bag. A wterproof camera, as stated before, for  the day you go to the water place. The 24-105 and the 50 1.4. And, that should suit you pretty well...
What is truth?

RickSpringfield

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 01:19:26 PM »
and the hassle with the rides and the heat made it unenjoyable to have a dslr with

Honestly, we have talked about that.  I have these visions in my head though of having these amazing photos of the castle at night etc.  Maybe all thats overkill tho.  Maybe THIS is what the G series Canon's are really for!

chops411

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »
http://www.disneyphotographyblog.com This is a great site I read before I went. All I carried was a T3i and one lens everyday. The 50mm 1.8 or the 28-135mm. I was mostly there for my kids so I was already carrying a bunch of stuff around.
Magic Kingdom Disney 2012 Small | Large
Canon 7D, 70-200mm f4 L IS, 24-105mm F.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

Qson

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 01:55:57 PM »
When I went with my family, I had no problems with a T2i and a 24-70 lens. I just placed my camera in a camera bag insert inside of my backpack that was protected by a plastic bag before I went on rides. I had zero issues. The camera didn't take that much room considering that I was using a backpack that was already filled with a camelbak, food, and a sweater.

RickSpringfield

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 01:56:59 PM »
http://www.disneyphotographyblog.com This is a great site I read before I went. All I carried was a T3i and one lens everyday. The 50mm 1.8 or the 28-135mm. I was mostly there for my kids so I was already carrying a bunch of stuff around.

Awesome.  Appreciate that.  I thought your video was great and it seemed like you were having alot of fun :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 01:56:59 PM »

RickSpringfield

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 01:58:27 PM »
... and a sweater.

Holy Toledo!  It was sweater cold?  I would love that :)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 02:35:41 PM »

First..if at ALL possible....stay on the grounds!!
The cheaper ones, like Pop Culture (I thinkthats the name)....is very reasonable, and you just easily catch a bus in and out of the parks.

Much easier than staying offsite...do check into it, also, by doing this, you get extended hours to many of the parks (get in early, stay late after they shoo all the non-guests out).  This can help you get shots that aren't as crowded!!

Please, look into this...I went a couple of years ago, and it made all the difference in the world, especially if you go to the parks that allow you to have some adult beverages!!
:)

HTH,

cayenne

jrh

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 02:47:28 PM »
I second staying on the grounds if possible.  Makes the whole experience more relaxing but more expensive.

My last trip to Disney I carried the 7D, 24-105L, 50 1.4 and a Joby tripod.  Just stored the lens not being used in a common backpack in a plastic bag in case something spilled or to protect on water rides(as mentioned above).
Kept the 24-105 on during the day when lighting was good and switched to the 50,1.4 at night to keep ISO a low as possible on the 7D.

I would not do a point-n-shoot.  When you look back at the photos you will regret it if you want to enlarge some.

Have a fun trip!

crasher8

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 04:24:20 PM »
Lowepro Flipside sport. Swings to your front and then you have a base for changing lenses and whatnot.

If you were FF I'd say the 24-105 but on a crop you might want a fast semi wide(35 IS) and a 70-200 f/4L.

DanielW

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 05:15:09 PM »
and the hassle with the rides and the heat made it unenjoyable to have a dslr with

Honestly, we have talked about that.  I have these visions in my head though of having these amazing photos of the castle at night etc.  Maybe all thats overkill tho.  Maybe THIS is what the G series Canon's are really for!

I'm getting myself a Fuji X20 (when it's out) for occasions like that.
Daniel

aroo

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 05:35:24 PM »
I can see the merits of a waterproof p&s for your trip. But if making thoughtfully composed photographs is a big part of the fun for you, bring the 7D, 24-105, and 50. And get a 10-22 ahead of time. UWA can be crucial for large scenes and group pictures, along with a remote trigger. You can take the 7D + L lens on splash mountain no prob.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 05:35:24 PM »

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 06:03:30 PM »
For me it'd be easy, just take my iPhone which is going with me anyway. I hate lugging around a huge camera bag etc when I'm out and about with the family, especially if I'm at a place like Disneyland/world where it's really about my kids and not me. I'd honestly look at a ps like Sony x100 if you must. If your going in the summer the heat and humidity in central Florida is oppressive at best I wouldn't want a bunch of gear hanging off my sweating back all day. Especially considering the extra stuff ill be buying for the kids which ill no doubt also be carrying. plus the risk of damage/stolen is fairly high (although Disney security is top notch).  If you must take the dslr go light, camera and one do everything lens like the 24-105. I wouldn't bother with the tripod most likely it will be too crowded to even bother taking it out. And definitely stay on property. Yes it's more expensive but you'll appreciate the shorter walks, not having to deal with parking, and of course the ability to go back to your in room ac in the middle of the day.

crasher8

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 07:54:49 PM »
S100?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 07:54:49 PM »