July 29, 2014, 05:31:08 AM

Author Topic: BlackRapid & Kirk clamp hook-up  (Read 3319 times)

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: BlackRapid & Kirk clamp hook-up
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 09:40:41 AM »
1) The screw knob on the clamp doesn't loosen on its own. It just doesn't. By positioning it so the knob is under the lens or away from your body, you avoid brushing against it (even that's unlikely to loosen it - when clamped down, it's tight).  It's really not a concern, I tighten it and forget it.  Note that the same cannot be said of the BR lug - that frequently came loose during use (before I switched to the AS plates and Kirk clamp w/ Loctite on the lug). 

2) The 1" clamp provides all the 'holding capacity' needed, even for a 1D X + 600mm f/4L IS II.  The only reason not to use the 1.75" clamp (or the new RRS 1.5" clamp with the flat bottom) is that the 1" clamp is less bulky.

I agree 100%. I have a 5D3 with a Kirk plate and the Kirk 1" screw clamp and have never had an issue. On another note, my old 40D has a RRS L-bracket combined with the RRS lever clamp on a Markins M10 on Gitzo 2531EX legs, so I come from a place of comparing the Kirk setup to RRS and I can say I have been very impressed with the strength of the Kirk system. Highly recommended.

The BR FastenR hold tight to the underside of the Kirk plate provided the rubber gasket is between them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 09:40:41 AM »

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 09:26:51 PM »
Finally back online...  CarrySpeed plate, with FastenR in place of pin, so Arca plate + BlackRapid FastenR.

There are 2 screws, one on each side of the pivot point. 

"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
Finally back online...  CarrySpeed plate, with FastenR in place of pin, so Arca plate + BlackRapid FastenR.

There are 2 screws, one on each side of the pivot point. 

Do you have a shot of this from the other angle? From the perspective of looking down on the lens towards the plate?

TexinAfrica

• Power Shot G16
  • 5D Mk III, Several L lenses, 430 EX, G-12, S-100,
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »
I'm grateful to all for the comments.  The comments have been very instructive.  I've since ordered a variety of straps, clamps, fasteners, plates, thread-lock compounds.

On the lighter side, how can my photos not improve after all these added gadgets?

Every hobby I've ever had (boats, fishing, golf, woodworking) builds an industry that convinces you that you must have "one of these" to stay in the game.

I'm a sucker for "a better way".  The BR with clamp will be a better way.
Live from the coast of West Africa

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 01:01:36 PM »

On the lighter side, how can my photos not improve after all these added gadgets?

I'm a sucker for "a better way".  The BR with clamp will be a better way.

Your shots will be tack sharp with this new setup ;) I know mine were.... :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 01:01:36 PM »