Gear Talk > Lenses

UV or clear protection filter?

<< < (3/3)

brad goda:
I never thought the need for UV filters on great glass... but I was having some issues shooting with 90TSE outside... wedding...  the lens seemed way to susceptible to flair and made images washed and soft... so I discussed with neighborhood Canon dealer and recommended UV filter... a Heliopan UV -0 SH-PMC was purchased and seems to help...
I am so darn happy when I heard the news they MIGHT be redoing the 90TSE... I can only hope for larger image circle better coatings, UD elements...and of course the new rotator TS like the 17 and 24II TSEs
holy cow near and far IR... filters... will this allow my camera to see cloaked UFOs? lol

sandymandy:
Isnt a lenshood used to reduce/remove flare? I think you guys are just too sensitive with your gear often. Its made to be used professionally and not let it sit secured in a shelf. Lenses are just a tool its not something holy :P To get lenses damaged u really need some hard work actually. With normal usage they will last a long, long time...

crasher8:
I shoot in dusty, dirty, windy locales. I use clear B+W MRC XS Pro filters. I also do Macro in close quarters with dirt, branches and other mucky much. A hood is sometimes in the way and I need protection for the front element. Seems like a no brainer.

wayno:
For me, the only truly compelling reason is to weather seal the lens ( in most instances).

TrumpetPower!:
Since this has inevitably moved on to the merits of filters as protection...

...the simple rule of thumb is that lens hoods improve image quality, protect against all the common types of damage lenses suffer, and under no circumstances will cause damage to a lens; and protection filters degrade image quality (even if imperceptibly with the best of filters), protect against only those situations where you as a human should also be wearing safety goggles; sometimes are necessary to complete environmental sealing; typically cost almost as much as replacing the front element; and will likely further damage the lens in common damage situations (especially by jamming the filter threads).

So, if you yourself should be wearing eye protection (such as if you're getting gravel kicked in your face at the rodeo, or if you're ringside and are getting splashed by bodily fluids); or if you're using one of a small number of L lenses in inclement conditions (including seaside); or if you're handing your camera to people (especially children) who can't keep their grubby fingers off the lens; then a protection filter is called for in addition to the lens hood.

The lens hood is always called for, except for situations where it's causing a physical obstruction.

Cheers,

b&

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version