September 20, 2014, 04:25:35 PM

Author Topic: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM "Classic" is now a cult lens!  (Read 4061 times)

Max ☢

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM "Classic" is now a cult lens!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 05:59:47 AM »
Shot at f/1.4 with the 50mm EX (matte body finish):

That's a very nice and sharp picture. I always liked what Raymond Loewy did to the styling of International's Farmalls, and you did it justice! Judging by the yellow headlights of this model-A I guess you shot this one in France or at least in Europe?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 05:59:47 AM »

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 06:42:51 AM »
Shot at f/1.4 with the 50mm EX (matte body finish):

That's a very nice and sharp picture. I always liked what Raymond Loewy did to the styling of International's Farmalls, and you did it justice! Judging by the yellow headlights of this model-A I guess you shot this one in France or at least in Europe?

Thanks Max, you know a great deal more about old tractors than I do. This one caught my eye because it's so asymmetrical which I think is cool. The photo was taken in the Netherlands but the tractor may very well have been imported from France.  The yellow lights are typically French.
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, S90 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
Today's Cult Photo
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 10:19:53 PM »
Love the photos guys, keep posting!

Here is something I shot today for a friend who rides a Ducati Monster. I shot it with the "EX DG HSM" on my 5D3 at F/1.4, ISO 100, 1/125th hand held in full shade.  As I've said before, this lens does not always nail the focus, but it did pretty well this time.  I will include a crop of the focus point for educational purposes.

With all of my lenses, I typically use Lightroom to add a bit of clarity with the clarity slider and a fair amount of vignetting, especially photos of people in the shade.

Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
Timeless Rendition of the 50 Classic
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 08:36:58 AM »
While I love the timeless rendition of my 50 Classic, the somewhat random autofocus was getting a bit tiring.  I've seen posts on the net saying that someone sent their Classic in to Sigma service and it came back focusing perfectly.

So last week I packaged up my Classic and sent it off to Ronkonkona (wasn't he a famous disk jockey?) for a tune up before the 4 year warranty runs out in a few months.

Round trip from Portland took 8 days.  Very impressive service by Sigma. The technician included a very short note to the affect that he "adjusted AF data sam"  Not sure what a sam is, but it's nice to know it's been adjusted.

I eagerly got out my big testing chart and did some autofocus testing in open shade outdoors.  I used one shot autofocus. 

Sadly, the autofocus is still somewhat random, definitely no better than before.  I tested at various distances (6-10 feet) and apertures, usually taking two or three shots and noting how much front or back focus.  then went back and tried to duplicate the results.  Sometimes I tried pressing the AF button multiple times to see if it would help.

Most of the time the point of focus is within the depth of field, but often just barely.  Since the lens front and back focused about equally, I decided to leave the microfocus adjustment at zero.

I'm not hearing good reports on the autofocus of the 50 Art lens, so I guess I will just keep enjoying the timeless rendition of the Classic until Canon eventually comes out with their next 50.

Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

dlee13

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 08:38:34 AM »
I could have joined the club but sadly I sold my Sigma classic a few weeks ago. As much as I loved it, I didn't really have much use for it since I got my 35 IS.

My Sigma Classic was pretty inconsistent on my 550D but was very accurate and as good as my Canon lenses when used on my 6D. Being that I like my portraits wide, I did love using the Sigma for portraits. I would never buy the 50 art, if I was to use a 50 I would have kept the Classic since the only real problem with it was the AF and some inconsistency wide open for some copies.

I think the AF issues with the Art series won't really go away, that's the point of the dock to help solve everyone's issues.
6D - Canon EF 35mm f2 IS - Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG HSM - Canon 100mm f2.8L IS - Canon 17-40mm f4L

GammyKnee

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 11:38:56 AM »
I tried a couple of new Sigmaluxes a while on my 5DII. Loved the lens optically, but the AF was a nightmare. I sent 'em back and got the Canon 50 1.4, which I've never really liked (not great in the AF dept either, halation when shooting at or near wide open, and wasn't keen on the bokeh in many situations).

Rolling forward to the present, I decided to try it one more time. I bought one second hand from eBay from a guy who insisted his copy focused well on his 5DIII and... it's not bad at all. It has a tendency to rear focus above a certain distance, but in the range I normally shoot it's pretty accurate & consistent, overall better than the Canon. And I really like the bokeh.

IMG_7271 by GammyKnee, on Flickr

That's at f2 which is about as wide as I normally shoot with this lens; my copy's actually pretty good even at f1.4 but I rarely go for DOF that shallow.

Here's another at f2.5

IMG_8726 by GammyKnee, on Flickr

DominoDude

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 11:54:59 AM »
I will force myself to use mine tonight at an outdoor concert with Playing for Change. It'll be raining. It'll be (almost) dark, so I don't have to be so ashamed to put it on my camera - no one will recognize it. And I don't care all that much if it gets soaked. If I shoot enough there might be a single keeper to publish later on tonight. I don't fear that the shots will be soft, just that there is a close to infinite chance that they won't be sharp where I want them to be.
Yesterday I tried to toss an egg on someone against the wind. Today the yolk's on me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 11:54:59 AM »