October 26, 2014, 12:37:50 AM

Author Topic: Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC  (Read 35973 times)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Samyang 14mm f2.8
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 01:46:32 PM »
Looks like the IQ might exceed that of the Tokina 16-28, which is the only other wide angle lens I'm considering for purchase.  It supposedly has some weird halo, making it unsuitable for night shots.  Any of you compared these two?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 01:46:32 PM »

Niterider

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »
Looks like the IQ might exceed that of the Tokina 16-28, which is the only other wide angle lens I'm considering for purchase.  It supposedly has some weird halo, making it unsuitable for night shots.  Any of you compared these two?

I have not, but I also have not seen a zoom lens that can compete with the samyang 14mm (Outperforms the 16-35 ii in IQ...)

As for not being able to shoot at night, I have never had a problem with it. I am not sure if you are talking about the samyang or the tokina having the halo you mentioned.

Anyhow some pictures taken at night for reference:

Untitled by Live By The Night, on Flickr

folsom1-1 by Live By The Night, on Flickr

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 06:11:41 PM »

I have not, but I also have not seen a zoom lens that can compete with the samyang 14mm (Outperforms the 16-35 ii in IQ...)

As for not being able to shoot at night, I have never had a problem with it. I am not sure if you are talking about the samyang or the tokina having the halo you mentioned.

Anyhow some pictures taken at night for reference:

Untitled by Live By The Night, on Flickr

folsom1-1 by Live By The Night, on Flickr

Thanks for the advice, and those are nice pics...the top one looks like a mirror image at yet it is not!

I was speaking of the Tokina, it has a type of halo flare...supposedly.  I have yet to try my friend's.  I may just buy the Samyang instead.  Why do they use two names, Samyang or Rokinon?

SithTracy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »
Why do they use two names, Samyang or Rokinon?
I think there are a few names this lens in sold under (Bower Vivitar, Opteka as well).  I got the Rokinon FE14M-C as a fathers day gift and am very impressed with it.  Not sure who the parent company is.

Pixelnoir

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile

pinnaclephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • PinnaclePhotography
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 08:06:05 PM »
The Samyang 14mm outperforms every wide angle in the price bracket...granted, if shooting directly into the sun, flare control could be better, but with a domed front element, there is only so much one can do...it is also close to a perfect startrail lens, provided the scene can accommodate 14mm...

@ f/2.8

Horseshoe under the stars by posthumus_cake ([url=http://www.pinnaclephotography.net]www.pinnaclephotography.net)[/url], on Flickr

@ f/2.8

Moonrise over Zion by posthumus_cake ([url=http://www.pinnaclephotography.net]www.pinnaclephotography.net)[/url], on Flickr

probably @ f/4

The Cliffs of Insanity by posthumus_cake ([url=http://www.pinnaclephotography.net]www.pinnaclephotography.net)[/url], on Flickr

probably f/5.6 or f/8

into the valley by posthumus_cake ([url=http://www.pinnaclephotography.net]www.pinnaclephotography.net)[/url], on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 02:37:10 AM by pinnaclephotography »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 09:53:34 PM »
Thanks for the good pictures. Looks like it's well worth $350 to me!!

I'll probably get one.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 09:53:34 PM »

ajperk

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 10:44:47 PM »
I'm also considering the Samyang 14mm as a wide angle lens for a 6D I've recently purchased. I am somewhat concerned about the barrel distortion it reportedly has (this is coming from the review at photozone). Can anyone comment on how field relevant the distortion is? Has anyone had good results correcting it in post, or perhaps has not needed to? Thanks in advance!
Canon EOS 6D, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 40mm f/2.8; Canon EOS 700D, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6, Canon 430ex II

pinnaclephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • PinnaclePhotography
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 11:00:24 PM »
I'm also considering the Samyang 14mm as a wide angle lens for a 6D I've recently purchased. I am somewhat concerned about the barrel distortion it reportedly has (this is coming from the review at photozone). Can anyone comment on how field relevant the distortion is? Has anyone had good results correcting it in post, or perhaps has not needed to? Thanks in advance!

There is some fairly complex wave/mustache distortion, but unless you shoot a lot of architectural or flat horizons (typically seascapes), it isn't much of an issue.  It is correctable with a lens profile, but that reduces the field of view down towards 15mm.  Distortion aside, it optically trounces the 14L and is on par or slightly better than the Nikon 14-24 @ 14mm.  Another advantage is that you can use it at f/5.6 with equivalent DOF as a 16mm lens at around f/8 or f/11 (basically, it is very hand-holdable).

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 01:30:06 AM »

There is some fairly complex wave/mustache distortion, but unless you shoot a lot of architectural or flat horizons (typically seascapes), it isn't much of an issue.  It is correctable with a lens profile, but that reduces the field of view down towards 15mm.  Distortion aside, it optically trounces the 14L and is on par or slightly better than the Nikon 14-24 @ 14mm.  Another advantage is that you can use it at f/5.6 with equivalent DOF as a 16mm lens at around f/8 or f/11 (basically, it is very hand-holdable).

But how much CA, and how sharp is it, wide open at f/2.8?

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 01:30:38 AM »

pinnaclephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • PinnaclePhotography
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 02:35:00 AM »

But how much CA, and how sharp is it, wide open at f/2.8?

I did just say it trounces the 14L and is comparable to the Nikon 14-24...that should qualify the lens as adequate.  The Samyang/Rokinon/other sub-brand 14mm is extremely sharp in the center at all aperture settings, it is only the extreme corners that dip into the "only ok" territory.  Chromatic aberrations are very well controlled at all apertures.  The only serious limitation (aside from being an all manual lens) is distortion, which as I mentioned above, is mostly only a problem for scenes with straight lines across the scene (horizon, etc.), which again, is correctable in post.  Granted, there may be sample variation issues, but my copy is stellar.  I would recommend using live view for best results though...even with a good viewfinder it can be tricky to tell if you are perfectly focused at such extremely wide focal lengths.

Feel free to listen to other opinions, but they will probably confirm what I just stated.
http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/532-samyang14f28eosff
http://www.lenstip.com/239.11-Lens_review-Samyang_14_mm_f_2.8_ED_AS_IF_UMC_Summary.html

SithTracy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 08:39:57 AM »
ePaperPress PTLens ($25 U.S.) does a good job correcting the mustache distortion of this lens.  I suspect there are other solutions as well, but that was the one I found after a short while looking.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 08:39:57 AM »

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 09:38:50 AM »
I have been considering this lens for months but couldn't quite make a decision.  What bothers me the most is the concern of complex distortion.  I'm glad that it may be correctable post, but it'd be nice if someone could post some pre and post process pictures. 

The other option is 17-40 which is a safer choice. At least the resale value is good. I tried it once. Corners seem a little fuzzy.
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 01:04:26 PM »
I have been considering this lens for months but couldn't quite make a decision.  What bothers me the most is the concern of complex distortion.  I'm glad that it may be correctable post, but it'd be nice if someone could post some pre and post process pictures. 

The other option is 17-40 which is a safer choice. At least the resale value is good. I tried it once. Corners seem a little fuzzy.

Excellent points.  I'm not sure the 17-40 would be as good as the Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, for similar money.

I too would like to see pre and post process correction of the mustache distortion of this Samyang.  I assume similar software is used to correct mustache distortion of other wide primes like the Zeiss 21mm Distagon?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 01:04:26 PM »