July 30, 2014, 11:50:24 PM

Author Topic: Film EOS Body  (Read 5726 times)

OmarSV11

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Omar Sierralta
Film EOS Body
« on: February 17, 2013, 09:15:55 AM »
Hello fellow Canon users. First I apologize if this post doesn't go on this particular category but I think is the best place to ask.

I was looking online for info about the now out of production film EOS bodies. I started to photograph in the digital era about a year and a half ago after years wanting to study about it. When I finally had the money like ten years ago to actually take a course (I still had my dad's old Pentax MX) all school switched to Digital.

Now that Im always studying and teaching Lightroom in a school, I have that urge to shoot film.

And I need the more veteran Canon shooters to tell me what a good pro-sumer to pro could I buy, so I can take advantage of my EF mount lens.

I was looking the EOS-1N but I think it will be too heavy, for an overall shooting. And then I stumbled into the EOS-3 which looks a lil more slim in weight than the 1N. Any other body I can look into? And Id love to hear about EOS-3 users as that one is the one I most interested right now. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:34:26 AM by OmarSV11 »

canon rumors FORUM

Film EOS Body
« on: February 17, 2013, 09:15:55 AM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Film EOS Body
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 10:09:42 AM »
I own an EOS-3 and it is awesome.  The nice thing is image IQ.  It matches the IQ of the 1V, but you can get a used one online for $200-$300.  I think you have the right thinking.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:04:50 PM »
Unlike a DSLR, a film Camera body is basically a box that you mount a lens on.  You can get the same image with a $5 EOS film Rebel from a Garage sale.
Obviously, the more expensive cameras have more features, are more rugged and reliable, but with film Cameras, the lens is a far more important factor than anything else.
Pro level film bodies can be had for a low price, so go for one if you are going to keep it, but, if you are just experimenting, you can use a cheap one and get the same image.

crasher8

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:19:52 PM »
The EOS-3 is a great body and if it's too steep for trying out a Canon film box then check out an Elan 7. ~100$ and has most of the eos 3 features and a much better body than the Rebel series. Still, if you want more AF points the 3 is a great way to go.

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 01:33:04 PM »
The EOS-3 is the second best Canon EOS film body after the 1V. It's pretty rad. It betters the 1N in most ways too.

This will help you compare:
http://photonotes.org/reviews/1-1N-3-1V/
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 02:18:31 PM »
The EOS-3 is the second best Canon EOS film body after the 1V. It's pretty rad. It betters the 1N in most ways too.

Agreed.

As others have said it depends what you want to do with it. I have a 1V HS, and it performs as well as any camera Canon made until the 1DX. If you're looking for fast, accurate AF and good metering, the 1V is a dream. If you just want to have the experience of exposing film, go cheap.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 02:57:57 PM »
I got an EOS650 bundled in with a second hand G12 (scratched front element - £100 for the pair); it's control interface is most similar to a modern 'Rebel' level DSLR, but with a far superior viewfinder.  All my modern EF lenses work just fine (unlike with some other brands) and I can live with the limitations of the single point AF system for what I use it for... Trouble is, that's not a lot! I thought I wanted to shoot film, but really I can't be bothered with the hassle.  Truth is that I'm a digital shooter and that's the medium I'm happiest with.  That's not to put down your (or anyone else's) interest in film; I'm just happy that I didn't pay out for a high end film body to find that out. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 02:57:57 PM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 03:58:14 PM »
+1 for EOS 3.

The 1N has pretty basic AF and very basic flash by modern standards, the EOS 3 has the same pro layout but with the 1V's AF system and modern era E-TTL flash metering (it will work properly with any EX or ETTL guns you have for your DSLR)

It's also a bargain just now.  The 1V is better, but the 3 has 99% of the 1V's DNA and costs a quarter, a third, and is also more likely to have had a cherised life as an amateurs pride and joy than a pro's workhorse.

And.

And..

And...

You get EYE CONTROLLED FOCUS, which if you spend time setting it up is just about the best thing ever.

A lot of folk slate the Eye-Controlled Focus, but they had funny eyes, and if you don't like it there is an off switch.

It feels a bit light in the hand next to a 1V, but then my car feels a bit light in the hand next to a 1V.   It has a distinct shutter noise (or mirror slap noise, horses will bolt, birds will fly away en masse) 

I wouldn't buy a 1V nowadays.  You would want to buy a new unused and keep it in its box, if you want a user which to almost all intents and purposes is the same camera, get a cheap but cherished 3.  Use the strap stopper for the viewfinder blind, the EOS link software probably won't run anymore.  Hey presto, your are back to the 3.

The question isn't should I buy one?  It's why haven't you bought one already!

I don't know what you are using just now but do bear in mind that as a pro-orientated camera with weather sealing the 3 lacks a built in flash.  This may not be that big a deal.  If you want a film body with built in flash then buy as recent as you can, buy a 30v (again with eye control, but built in flash, laid out more like a x0D series)

Good luck with your 3.   

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 04:05:47 PM »
+1 for EOS 3.

The 1N has pretty basic AF and very basic flash by modern standards, the EOS 3 has the same pro layout but with the 1V's AF system and modern era E-TTL flash metering (it will work properly with any EX or ETTL guns you have for your DSLR)

It's also a bargain just now.  The 1V is better, but the 3 has 99% of the 1V's DNA and costs a quarter, a third, and is also more likely to have had a cherised life as an amateurs pride and joy than a pro's workhorse.

And.

And..

And...

You get EYE CONTROLLED FOCUS, which if you spend time setting it up is just about the best thing ever.

A lot of folk slate the Eye-Controlled Focus, but they had funny eyes, and if you don't like it there is an off switch.

It feels a bit light in the hand next to a 1V, but then my car feels a bit light in the hand next to a 1V.   It has a distinct shutter noise (or mirror slap noise, horses will bolt, birds will fly away en masse) 

I wouldn't buy a 1V nowadays.  You would want to buy a new unused and keep it in its box, if you want a user which to almost all intents and purposes is the same camera, get a cheap but cherished 3.  Use the strap stopper for the viewfinder blind, the EOS link software probably won't run anymore.  Hey presto, your are back to the 3.

The question isn't should I buy one?  It's why haven't you bought one already!

I don't know what you are using just now but do bear in mind that as a pro-orientated camera with weather sealing the 3 lacks a built in flash.  This may not be that big a deal.  If you want a film body with built in flash then buy as recent as you can, buy a 30v (again with eye control, but built in flash, laid out more like a x0D series)

Good luck with your 3.

What he said.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

EdB

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »
The EOS 3 is awesome and the eye control focus was the best thing Canon ever innovated. Don't understand why they abandoned it.

m

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 04:21:28 PM »
I also have some questions, firstly regarding the eye focus:

Does it work that well with glasses?
Can it be turned off?

I decided to get a 1N instead of the 3 because I didn't really know how the eye focus would work out for me.
The 1N looked very used and therefore was very cheap (~100) including the grip.

Sometimes the -bc- shows up, but it is not dead. I wonder what the reason for that might be, any tips?

Fun fact, 1Vs are still in stock "new":
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/194453-USA/Canon_2043A005_EOS_1V_Camera_Body.html

brianboru

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 05:04:57 PM »
My 10s still is going strong.  Three auto focus points including a center cross-type that works quite well.   It's one of the last to use a mechanical film index too to prevent infrared film fogging.

An interesting thread on vintage EOS bodies is at:
http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00YwZ8
7D, EOS M, S95, 40D, S40, 10S, ...
EF 70-200 f4.0 L, EF 17-40 f4.0 L, EF 40mm f2.8, EF 28-135,  Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX, ....

MrFotoFool

• EOS M2
  • 5D mk3
    • View Profile
    • HoodFineArt
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 06:00:22 PM »
The EOS 3 is awesome and the eye control focus was the best thing Canon ever innovated. Don't understand why they abandoned it.

Agree wholeheartedly.  I had two Elan IIe's for a good part of my photo life and used eye control all the time.  As some of you recall, Canon ran some Art Wolfe ads at the time of the EOS 3 stating he was now getting photos he never could before - which was a direct (but not explicitely stated) slam against Nikon, the system he switched from.  Canon had something no one else had and I do not understand why they abandoned it.  (Not fast enough maybe?)

Anyway, I replaced them with an EOS 1 that I got for 300 bucks at a camera show several years ago, then replaced that with a 1N in mint condition that a customer at my photo lab gave me for free.  I see you decided on the 1N and I think you will be happy with it.  Sadly, no eye control focus though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 06:00:22 PM »

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 07:15:48 PM »
I'd also give some thought to an EOS 30 (AKA Elan 7E).  While an EOS 3 is much more robust, feature packed and a better all round camera, the 30 is still good to use and a fraction of the price.  If I was choosing a film camera and I wasn't concerned about size or weight, I think my order of preference would go 1V, 3, 1N, 30.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

EdB

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 07:25:35 PM »

Does it work that well with glasses?
Can it be turned off?

Not sure about the glasses and it can be turned off.

Canon had something no one else had and I do not understand why they abandoned it.  (Not fast enough maybe?)

I'm sure it could have been improved but it seemed pretty quick to me. I expected it to cover the whole viewfinder by now, no matter where you looked, it would lock on.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 07:25:35 PM »