October 22, 2014, 01:03:23 AM

Author Topic: 5D Black AF points...NOTHING + Spot-meter?  (Read 7835 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Black AF points...NOTHING + Spot-meter?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 03:22:12 PM »
Thank you all guys for all ..

While i still think that - anyway we merited
That those small imperfections were repaired
by a firmware, considering the price we pay for it

I do agree with you that 5D III is a lot better
camera in a lot of aspects, with autofocus being
the most improved
(i don't really agree with the "a lot better high iso
less noise")

I do think that earns A LOT more for what it gives
to us, comparing Nikon with the D800

I won't disagree with you that if Nikon would produce a few prime lenses that could make full use of the 36 MP sensor, the D800 would be an even more outstanding camera than it is.  As it is though, consumers aren't really buying it as much as Canon, because the high MP's aren't reflected in IQ.  That is yet to be seen and I think there is a lot of potential there.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 03:22:12 PM »

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 03:48:08 PM »
Regarding AF point-linked spot metering, be careful what you wish for. The original EOS 1-D had that and I found it terrible, especially with flash metering. Unless the little AF sensor is on a mid-toned part of the subject your metering will be off, and often way off.

After a long time of frustration and bad exposures I discovered a helpful solution with the 1-D. By turning off AF on the lens, the metering pattern switched to average. Sure I had to give up AF but metering came closer to reliable.

Now improved light-up AF points like my old 1-D MK ll, that's worth wishing for.

....and firmware announced for April. Pretty damn odd that firmware is announced months before it becomes available. Isn't this a first ?

EvillEmperor

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »
Why does everyone complain about the black ad points? News flash! You can disable them not to all appear at once or just show a few ad points! It doesn't bother me on the 7D or 5D. Spot meter, I can understand, but really, the black AF points can easily be avoided!
Canon 5D MK III, Canon T2i, Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS, Canon 24-105, Canon 100 macro, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 430EX II, Canon 28-135mm (sold)

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 04:20:06 PM »
The real advantage over the 5D II is only the Autofocus..and yet not complete!!!

Better High ISO, better layout/ergonomics, better AFMA, better grip, better video (I can't honestly comment on this as I have never shot video with any DSLR), Nice having an extra card slot just in case (should have been a CF card!), better high end card performance (if that matters to you), The AF on the Mk3 blows the Mk2 out of the water, better NR, better processor and I feel a much better overall build.

... and to add to that:  more responsive shutter, shorter mirror blackout, 100% viewfinder, two amazing quiet shutter modes, good implementation of auto-ISO, better auto white balance, higher frame rate, etc.  So, the hugely improved autofocus is definitely NOT the "only" real advantage.

I agree with Mt Spokane who writes that the "grass is not greener".  Look at the current star ratings on Amazon.com:

D800: 42 out of 239 are 1 star (worst) ratings = 17.5%
D600:  40 out 225 are 1 star (worst) ratings = 17.7%

5D3: 4 out of 201 are 1 star (worst) ratings = 2%
6D:   0 out of 58 are 1 star (worst) ratings = 0%

Based on specs on paper, those Nikon models should be providing greater value.  But based on customer ratings, they are providing greater dissatisfaction.

these data may be more telling than the sales figures and number of 5-star ratings.  I would naturally expect the 5DIII to outsell the D800 because of brand loyalty, the tremendous installed base, and existing glass investments.  Neither are first-time cameras, which means the two never really competed 100% on the merits the body only.  and neither should they. 

It is  interesting to note that the D800s superior DR at base ISO is a whopping don't care for the vast majority of the target 5D3 market. 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 04:48:55 PM »
As I wrote in this thread, if you look at Amazon.com's Top Rated dSLRs, the 5DIII is #1, the top 15 spots are Canon cameras, and the Nikon D800 doesn't even make the Top 100.  Pretty telling...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 05:00:39 PM »
The real advantage over the 5D II is only the Autofocus..and yet not complete!!!

Better High ISO, better layout/ergonomics, better AFMA, better grip, better video (I can't honestly comment on this as I have never shot video with any DSLR), Nice having an extra card slot just in case (should have been a CF card!), better high end card performance (if that matters to you), The AF on the Mk3 blows the Mk2 out of the water, better NR, better processor and I feel a much better overall build.

... and to add to that:  more responsive shutter, shorter mirror blackout, 100% viewfinder, two amazing quiet shutter modes, good implementation of auto-ISO, better auto white balance, higher frame rate, etc.  So, the hugely improved autofocus is definitely NOT the "only" real advantage.

I agree with Mt Spokane who writes that the "grass is not greener".  Look at the current star ratings on Amazon.com:

Based on specs on paper, those Nikon models should be providing greater value.  But based on customer ratings, they are providing greater dissatisfaction.

Very very good points. I forgot about quiet shutter which I have to say is amazing.

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 05:05:15 PM »

Very very good points. I forgot about quiet shutter which I have to say is amazing.

Quiet shutter - works really well at weddings :)
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 05:05:15 PM »

skinkfoot

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 05:07:09 PM »
I will probably be flamed but...  The 5d mk iii is a terrific camera.

I think Canon camera pricing is quite reasonable, just compare it to the cost of the 1ds mk iii, or the 1d mk iv.  I paid $2975 for mine at b&h. and I think it is well worth every penny.  Nikon is killing their own profits right now to compete with Canon, and they are suffering because of it.

I have never had a problem with the metering  yet, sometimes I have to compensate with manual lenses or heavy white backgrounds(snow), but who cares, That's kind of why I don't use a point and shot.  I don't mind getting to know when to tweak the camera.

The AF is excellent.  I shoot 50% birds and I don't even have time to look at the focus points when shooting BIF, and when they are stationary I use one shot.

I really don't understand why people go on and on about these little things, just adapt and move forward.

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 05:14:29 PM »

I think I forgot because I can hardly hear it at events like that=)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 05:17:15 PM »
I shoot tennis and golf with a 5D Mark III with quiet shutter mode.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 05:23:59 PM »
I shoot tennis and golf with a 5D Mark III with quiet shutter mode.

It works great for figure skating and recitals as well.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 05:29:37 PM »
I shot a sporting event today with the machine-gun shutter of the 1D X, and it wasn't a problem.  I suppose that might be because the subjects were busy pummeling each other in the head within the boxing ring...   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 05:53:22 PM »
I shot a sporting event today with the machine-gun shutter of the 1D X, and it wasn't a problem.  I suppose that might be because the subjects were busy pummeling each other in the head within the boxing ring...   ;)

Haha. I just rented one from CPS to see if it (which I know it will) replace my 7D for sports. Poor little guy decided to stop working the other day.

I will say the other thing I like silent shutter for is street shooting. If people don't hear the click click click they are less inclined to care about what you are doing. Has not netted me any good ones yet, but it keeps interest down.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 05:53:22 PM »

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 08:24:07 PM »
Why does everyone complain about the black ad points? News flash! You can disable them not to all appear at once or just show a few ad points! It doesn't bother me on the 7D or 5D. Spot meter, I can understand, but really, the black AF points can easily be avoided!

they, we, dislike how it is all but impossible to see the AF points in a dim environment.  personally I can't understand the spot metering thing, but if it was my bag, i would certainly like to see it as an option.

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 09:51:37 PM »

I think I forgot because I can hardly hear it at events like that=)

+1
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 09:51:37 PM »