Gear Talk > Software & Accessories

Stolen Camera Finder?

(1/3) > >>

distant.star:
Anyone familiar with this stolen camera finder service??

http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/

Mt Spokane Photography:
As I understand, if someone were to be dumb enough to post images online that have the exif intact with a camera they stole, it would find the images.
However, camera thieves steal cameras to resell to a unsuspecting third party, who than may indeed post images taken proudly with his new camera.
However, there is little you can do to recover it.

East Wind Photography:
Well depending on the circumstances you may be able to.  A stolen t4i may not be worth it.  But a 1dx may qualify for grand larceny and would depend on wether law enforcement wanted to be bothered.

Generally speaking, insure your equipment and replace it possibly with something better.  If you find your camera online you can report it to your insurance company and let them deal with it.

--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on February 17, 2013, 12:47:46 PM ---As I understand, if someone were to be dumb enough to post images online that have the exif intact with a camera they stole, it would find the images.
However, camera thieves steal cameras to resell to a unsuspecting third party, who than may indeed post images taken proudly with his new camera.
However, there is little you can do to recover it.

--- End quote ---

jon_charron:
I tried this.  It only works if they post the images with exif in tact on a few particular sites, like flickr.  It doesn't scour the internet.  My gear was all stolen a year ago, and I've heard nothing after using a few of these services.  Unfortunately, they don't track lenses either.  Some of my lenses were worth more than my body, but the serial numbers don't get recorded in the exif unfortunately, and the services don't track them anyway.  It might be worth it, but it didn't help me.

distant.star:

--- Quote from: East Wind Photography on February 17, 2013, 01:56:51 PM ---Well depending on the circumstances you may be able to.  A stolen t4i may not be worth it.  But a 1dx may qualify for grand larceny and would depend on wether law enforcement wanted to be bothered.

Generally speaking, insure your equipment and replace it possibly with something better.  If you find your camera online you can report it to your insurance company and let them deal with it.

--- End quote ---

Laws differ widely. In California, grand theft is a paltry $400 now. Police won't do much work on such things though. If it shows up as stolen property in a pawn shop or used camera store, recovery is possible -- if you reported it stolen.

I'd have to do a lot more research before I could really talk about the stolen camera world. For example, I don't know how widely a stolen camera serial number would be circulated, probably only within a state. I'd be surprised if the NCIC encompassed such detail as they're more focused on people (warrants, wants, etc.).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version