September 23, 2014, 10:40:50 PM

Author Topic: Stolen Camera Finder?  (Read 4493 times)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Stolen Camera Finder?
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:18:32 AM »
Anyone familiar with this stolen camera finder service??

http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

Stolen Camera Finder?
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:18:32 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen Camera Finder?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »
As I understand, if someone were to be dumb enough to post images online that have the exif intact with a camera they stole, it would find the images.
However, camera thieves steal cameras to resell to a unsuspecting third party, who than may indeed post images taken proudly with his new camera.
However, there is little you can do to recover it.

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:56:51 PM »
Well depending on the circumstances you may be able to.  A stolen t4i may not be worth it.  But a 1dx may qualify for grand larceny and would depend on wether law enforcement wanted to be bothered.

Generally speaking, insure your equipment and replace it possibly with something better.  If you find your camera online you can report it to your insurance company and let them deal with it.

As I understand, if someone were to be dumb enough to post images online that have the exif intact with a camera they stole, it would find the images.
However, camera thieves steal cameras to resell to a unsuspecting third party, who than may indeed post images taken proudly with his new camera.

jon_charron

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 02:25:56 PM »
I tried this.  It only works if they post the images with exif in tact on a few particular sites, like flickr.  It doesn't scour the internet.  My gear was all stolen a year ago, and I've heard nothing after using a few of these services.  Unfortunately, they don't track lenses either.  Some of my lenses were worth more than my body, but the serial numbers don't get recorded in the exif unfortunately, and the services don't track them anyway.  It might be worth it, but it didn't help me.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 02:29:12 PM »
Well depending on the circumstances you may be able to.  A stolen t4i may not be worth it.  But a 1dx may qualify for grand larceny and would depend on wether law enforcement wanted to be bothered.

Generally speaking, insure your equipment and replace it possibly with something better.  If you find your camera online you can report it to your insurance company and let them deal with it.

Laws differ widely. In California, grand theft is a paltry $400 now. Police won't do much work on such things though. If it shows up as stolen property in a pawn shop or used camera store, recovery is possible -- if you reported it stolen.

I'd have to do a lot more research before I could really talk about the stolen camera world. For example, I don't know how widely a stolen camera serial number would be circulated, probably only within a state. I'd be surprised if the NCIC encompassed such detail as they're more focused on people (warrants, wants, etc.).
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 05:18:01 PM »
Worth a try - and if you get a hit, pass on the details to the insurance company. You may not get it back but perhaps it will help your claim (provided one has insurance in the first place).

1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 07:14:03 PM »

There is a big jump between locating a photo taken with your equipment on Flickr, and finding the person with the camera and actually recovering it.  Flickr is not going to give you the name and address of the member, they may not even know who he is, except that they do or should have a credit card number (maybe also stolen).  It would take a police department or court order to get them to divulge that information.  The person with the equipment may be accross the country from you, and you will have to either hire a attorney or travel to that location to file a complaint with the police.  Then, good luck at having them do anything.

So, you may then have to pay thousands of dollars for a attorney and all the court orders, etc to try and get it back.

You have to be pretty lucky to get property given back to you without a hassle and expense.  It does happen.

Pawn shops hold property for a period set by the local laws, and search for serial numbers of stolen property.  As long as they carry out due dilligence, they will not be charged with being a fence, and the best and quickest way to get your property back is often to just to re-imburse them for what they paid.

If you go to the police, they may seize the item and put it in a property locker for a year or two until you get a court order to claim it.
Thats why I say that there is little chance of recovering it, you have to be pretty lucky, or you just go into paperwork hell.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 07:14:03 PM »

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »
I feel this service is currently a waste of time. I just dragged and dropped on of my photos and it correctly identified the camera and serial no. It was unable to find any pictures online taken with the camera - in the past year I have uploaded over 15,000 pictures taken with this camera to my website and facebook and other places. And I have over 750,000 page views of these pictures. So this service doesnt look ready for primetime.

jon_charron

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 02:24:34 PM »
I paid for it, but have heard nothing from them. I doubt very much that the person who stole my gear has not uploaded any photos to popular sharing sites.  Con job I think.

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 04:15:49 PM »
Many sites are now stripping the EXIF information from the images when they are uploaded to conserve space.  Considering the numbers of images posted to these sites, that small amount adds up over time.

I paid for it, but have heard nothing from them. I doubt very much that the person who stole my gear has not uploaded any photos to popular sharing sites.  Con job I think.

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 08:31:56 PM »
I would not want mine back anyway. That is way I have insurance.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »

I guess I was wrong, some of them are dumb enough :)

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/photographer-catches-camera-thief-craigslist-sting-operation-1C9128131

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 01:59:12 AM »
I vaguely recollect one of the CR members mentioning this website in another thread, last month,
For a layman, Stolen Camera Finder is  an interesting website, but beyond that, it isn't all that easy to find out if images from your stolen camera, posted on the net, are from the "stealer" himself or by someone who has actually bought it as a used camera from the "stealer" himself or from a pawn shop or even a low-end camera store. But interesting website nevertheless.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 01:59:12 AM »