April 23, 2014, 06:44:51 PM

Author Topic: Comparable Camera to the Sony RX100  (Read 11697 times)

babiesphotos

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Comparable Camera to the Sony RX100
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 12:10:54 AM »
I recently played with few compacts (but NOT RX100), so here are my experiences:
- Canon G15 decent picture, great build, a bit chunky, slow to autofocus, slow frame to frame (returned it)
- Panasonic LX7, decent picture, great lens, decent enough autodocus, awful sensor in low light, at least one stop of noise worse than G15, so not a great indoor camera (sold)
- Fuji X10 - decent picture, decent build, decent autofocus, menus a bit complicated, touch chunky. I returned it, not sure why anymore. I think I decided that small sensor just doesn't do it for me, and I ended up with Sony NEX F3 and couple sigma prime lenses as my travel system. Not sure that was right decision. Out of all small sensor camera's the only one I didn't hate was Fuji...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 12:10:54 AM »

babiesphotos

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 12:15:28 AM »
I recently played with few compacts (but NOT RX100), so here are my experiences:
- Canon G15 decent picture, great build, a bit chunky, slow to autofocus, slow frame to frame (returned it)
- Panasonic LX7, decent picture, great lens, decent enough autodocus, awful sensor in low light, at least one stop of noise worse than G15, so not a great indoor camera (sold)
- Fuji X10 - decent picture, decent build, decent autofocus, menus a bit complicated, touch chunky. I returned it, not sure why anymore. I think I decided that small sensor just doesn't do it for me, and I ended up with Sony NEX F3 and couple sigma prime lenses as my travel system. Not sure that was right decision. Out of all small sensor camera's the only one I didn't hate was Fuji...

Oh, and Nikon J1: fast AF, cute, easy to use. Doesn't have external controls, but somehow with this one you don't bather to use them. Bad indoor camera with kit lens, but quite alright with 10mm 2.8. Noise performance a bit better than most other compacts, equal to or slightly better than Fuji X10, but quite a bit worse than Sony NEX F3

javidog

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 01:38:15 AM »
I made a mistake selling my G9 (best G I ever owned) and buying the G1X. I now have the FujiX10 and am quite happy with it in my pocket or on the streets. Have you ever considered the Ricoh GR IV? It is a fantastic pocket camera.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 11:56:34 AM »
If you haven't done the Sony yet, you may want to look at the new Olympus Stylus XZ-10. Looks like a Powershot S100 knockoff.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

mw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 05:03:45 PM »
I picked up the RX100 yesterday and finally had a chance to play with it. Here are my impressions:

IQ is great. Handles low light quite well. My gripe, not necessary Sony's fault, is my difficulty of holding the camera. It's a bit heavy for its size, since it is very well constructed. I have to remind myself from time to time to hold on to the camera tighter and not to drop it. It is a bit slippery since there is only metal facing in the front.  Since I have difficulty holding on to the camera, it was even more difficult trying to push the little buttons in the back in trying to change the settings and take the pictures manually. So it was best for me to just keep the settings on full auto.

It's a good little camera. But I think I'll either return it or give it to my daughter.

Eli

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://500px.com/elindaire
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 05:23:27 PM »
I picked up the RX100 yesterday and finally had a chance to play with it. Here are my impressions:

IQ is great. Handles low light quite well. My gripe, not necessary Sony's fault, is my difficulty of holding the camera. It's a bit heavy for its size, since it is very well constructed. I have to remind myself from time to time to hold on to the camera tighter and not to drop it. It is a bit slippery since there is only metal facing in the front.  Since I have difficulty holding on to the camera, it was even more difficult trying to push the little buttons in the back in trying to change the settings and take the pictures manually. So it was best for me to just keep the settings on full auto.

It's a good little camera. But I think I'll either return it or give it to my daughter.

You can buy a little grippy thing that makes it less slippery and more comfortable to hold, if you wanted to try that.

Vivid Color

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 07:03:59 PM »
I thought about buying the Sony RX100, but ended up buying the Canon s100 when it was on sale for $229 on Amazon. I plan to take it on a trip in which I'll already be taking 2 DSLR bodies and an assortment of lenses. If it were to be my only camera, I'd pay the $648. But as a point and shoot, and for my uses, I decided to put the $400+ difference toward other uses. That said, if the price spread had been say $100, there is no question that I would have bought the Sony.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 07:03:59 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 08:37:40 PM »

You can buy a little grippy thing that makes it less slippery and more comfortable to hold, if you wanted to try that.

Yep. Google "Franiec rx100 grip".
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Jim K

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 10:31:40 PM »
I thought about buying the Sony RX100, but ended up buying the Canon s100 when it was on sale for $229 on Amazon. I plan to take it on a trip in which I'll already be taking 2 DSLR bodies and an assortment of lenses. If it were to be my only camera, I'd pay the $648. But as a point and shoot, and for my uses, I decided to put the $400+ difference toward other uses. That said, if the price spread had been say $100, there is no question that I would have bought the Sony.
+1

Bought the S100 on Black Friday for $229 from Amazon too. Got it in silver, figured it looked "less pro" than black and wouldn't cook as much in the Florida sun. Happy with my choice.
EOS: 7D (2, 1 gripped), 50D gripped, 580EX II + CP-E4
EF: 500 f/4L IS, 100-400 L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS, 28-135 IS, 1.4x TC II, EF-S: 15-85 IS, 10-22
5D3, 17-40 L, 24-105 L, 24mm TS-E II.  S100 p&s

mw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 10:55:32 AM »
Thanks all. I'll give Franiec's Grip a try.

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 04:49:31 AM »
Coming from the Samsungs EX1 (or 500 something in other countries):
Sure, the RX100 is expensive.
But the IQ is much better, lowlight much better, faster (fr/s and AF), fast and easy accessable HD- video (never cared about this before, now I use it more often).

Paid the price once, since then I had 4522 times fun :)).

albron00

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 07:15:55 AM »
This is really great little camera and pretty robust.
My lovely wife dropped three days old rx100 in Paris on sidewalk and it's working well, despite big left side deformation. It is relatively heavy for compact sized camera.
Pictures I'm posting are taken by my wife and more likely in auto settings.
Enjoy.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:31:14 AM by albron00 »

mw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »
No flash needed :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 11:53:58 AM by mw »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »

DCM1024

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 12:35:47 PM »
I got this case for me RX100:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008QWEE24/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1363710697&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

When I use the camera I just remove the top of the case and the bottom is attached to a neck strap, so no fear of dropping it.

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 03:03:59 AM »
I use the Sony- case. And the short strap is wound around my hand.
Although the camera never slipped of my hand its a safe feeling
and the camera haa much more protection.
And closed it avoids the cam getting dusty.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 03:03:59 AM »