July 02, 2015, 12:12:49 AM

Author Topic: Digital Rev!  (Read 16981 times)

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • My Flickr:
Re: Digital Rev!
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 06:21:20 AM »
Why bother with DigitalRev when ProCamerashop is cheaper and based in the U.K?
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 06:21:20 AM »

zim

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 10:08:05 AM »
Why bother with DigitalRev when ProCamerashop is cheaper and based in the U.K?

Good shout. I like DRev but on the shopping list I'm looking at I would be saving £153 going PCS. I've been watching DRev prices for some time now and yes they are a lot cheaper than UK shops but they are going up.

I've not bought from ProCamerashop anyone have any experience?

zim

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 12:42:45 PM »
mmmm........

Maybe not so safe, makes their web site look rather misleading now:

Domain name:
 procamerashop.co.uk

Registrant:
 Smart Choice Photo Ltd

Trading as:
 ProCameraShop

Registrant type:
 Non-UK Corporation

Registrant's address:
 1223 Trans HK Commercial Building, 41 - 43 Carnarvon Road
 Kowloon
 Tsimshatsui
 NA
 Hong Kong

Registrar:
 Webfusion Ltd t/a 123-reg [Tag = 123-REG]
 URL: http://www.123-reg.co.uk

MadHungarian

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2015, 02:59:36 AM »
Well i just had a less-than-ideal experience myself with my first order to digitalrev...

I decided that for some reason i needed an M3 and a couple lenses.  Don't ask why -- there's not really any sane reason for it.  And unfortunately, digitalrev seems to be the only real game in town for this sort of stuff for USA customers, as far as i can tell.

So i try to place an order, and my creditcard company immediately goes into a fraud-alert frenzy, rejects the transaction, and also places a fraud lock on my card.  Okay, so i eventually get that taken care of with my bank.  And I do eventually manage to place an order for a couple white-box EF-M lenses.  So they show up okay.  One of them was new, and the other one was relatively new but had clearly been mounted on a camera before and the front element had to be cleaned a little.  Well, i guess that's the risks you take with random white-box stuff.

So then a few days later i place a second order (for the M3 itself).  But the next day digitalrev cancels my order because they say they can't verify that my shipping address is legit or something.  But they'd already delivered the first order, and also isn't it just a simple google query these days to see that person X lives at that address, if you have any concerns?

So now digitalrev insists that i send supporting documentation proving that i really live at that address.  Like a copy of driver's license or something.  Well it'll be a cold day in %#%!@ before i send that sort of thing to some random chinese company!

Anyone else had issues ordering from those folks?  Or any suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:12:17 AM by MadHungarian »

Hjalmarg1

• 5D Mark III
  • Photo Hobbyist
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2015, 06:19:16 AM »
Haven't bought from these guys before but had only heard good things - until this...

http://www.news.com.au/technology/biztech/camera-company-digitalrev-busted-selling-used-cameras-sold-as-new-online/story-fn5lic6c-1226580348144
I have only bought cheap items from them and not a single problem
Body: Canon 5DIII, Sony a6000. Primes: Canon 15mm f2.8, 100mm f2.8L IS, 35mm f2 IS and 50mm f1.8 STM; Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 OSS, Rokinon 12mm f/2.0 E-mount.
Zoom Lenses: Canon 16-35mm f4L IS, 24-70mm f2.8L II and 70-200mm f2.8L IS II; Sony Zeiss 16-70mm f/4 OSS. Others: Flash 580EX II

Random Orbits

• 1D X
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2015, 06:55:10 AM »
Well i just had a less-than-ideal experience myself with my first order to digitalrev...

I decided that for some reason i needed an M3 and a couple lenses.  Don't ask why -- there's not really any sane reason for it.  And unfortunately, digitalrev seems to be the only real game in town for this sort of stuff for USA customers, as far as i can tell.

So i try to place an order, and my creditcard company immediately goes into a fraud-alert frenzy, rejects the transaction, and also places a fraud lock on my card.  Okay, so i eventually get that taken care of with my bank.  And I do eventually manage to place an order for a couple white-box EF-M lenses.  So they show up okay.  One of them was new, and the other one was relatively new but had clearly been mounted on a camera before and the front element had to be cleaned a little.  Well, i guess that's the risks you take with random white-box stuff.

So then a few days later i place a second order (for the M3 itself).  But the next day digitalrev cancels my order because they say they can't verify that my shipping address is legit or something.  But they'd already delivered the first order, and also isn't it just a simple google query these days to see that person X lives at that address, if you have any concerns?

So now digitalrev insists that i send supporting documentation proving that i really live at that address.  Like a copy of driver's license or something.  Well it'll be a cold day in %#%!@ before i send that sort of thing to some random chinese company!

I haven't had any problems.  I've used them 2-3 different times.  The tracking they provide is useless, but I've never had any problems getting the order in.

martti

• Canon 6D
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 10:41:15 AM »
I got stuff from them more than once. Never problems. I did not realize they have their own shop outside eBay now.  Not that I need to buy anything, either.

As for the OP, he should just get a new one with Digitalrev taking care of the freight.
Or a refund. This is very bad for their business and I am sure they will bend backwards to make it right.
"Don't wake up, it's just me"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 10:41:15 AM »

martti

• Canon 6D
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
Kai lost a few rep points there for sure.

You really think the production crew has anything to do with the online store? Kai did what Kai does - he's not supposed to treat the equipment like it's going to be sold as new afterwards. It's the store's fault for letting the review camera back into their inventory. Probably an honest mistake, but a potentially costly one.

In business world Kai is the face of DigitalRev. He personifies the company. The company goofs, the market says it is Kai's company, it is his fault. This is how people think. In the States a weather man had rubber boots thrown at him because it rained on a football game.  Like he was in charge of the anticyclones going this way and that.

Kai has pretty brilliant stuff there...I did not even realize there is a shop there as well!

candc

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2015, 11:13:04 AM »
I had a bad experience with them. Had some issues with a sigma 18-35; cistomer support was awful. Slow and cryptic. Was then told the return period had expired and that only unopened items could be returned or exchanged. Never again.

bereninga

• EOS M2
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2015, 11:27:16 AM »
I had a bad experience with them. Had some issues with a sigma 18-35; cistomer support was awful. Slow and cryptic. Was then told the return period had expired and that only unopened items could be returned or exchanged. Never again.

Whoa, that is really sh!tty. I def will be staying away from purchasing from them.

martti

• Canon 6D
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2015, 01:17:56 PM »
DigitalREv is living in a very competetive business environment and they have been around for a while.
My last purchase from them dates from 2008.
If a very visible company like theirs starts getting bad feedback, it wil cost them thousands of dollars daily.
Given the chance, they will do everything in their power to get the customer the product he will be happy with ASAP.
They cannot afford 95% satisfaction rate, it has to be 99%. The one per cent being French who did not understand the operating instructions. And, of course, if you do 10 000 transactions a month, statistics are against you how ever hard you might try. Many clients who have absolutely nothing happening in their lives, live fully the experience beuíng bullied by the International Capitalism.
Hogwash.
Those HK guys who have a 10-year track record are good.
That's the point where we should start. If there is a problem, they are more than willing to fix it at their own cost rather than let it go public.

That's their way of doing business. I have some experience.
Stay clear of the French sellers, however. They steal.
Also, it is a good idea to check that the seller's name corresponds to the billing eMail.
PayPal is your friend when you are buying but a bitchy SOB when you are the seller whose product has not arrived.

I think the Market has taught them to be bitchy...attack the guy whose money you have access to, not somebody in Azerbhaidzan Tribal Areas...

MadHungarian

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2015, 01:19:02 PM »
Of course if you choose to buy gray-market stuff from overseas, I guess by necessity you're taking some chances and dealing with some non-top-flight vendors perhaps.  So I suppose you just have to pick the best of the perhaps less than ideal sources.

Sorry though, forgot to mention that I resurrected an old thread here.  Whatever may have happened with Kai was two years ago.  Old history now.

East Wind Photography

• 1D X
  • EWP
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2015, 11:42:37 PM »
Ordered my M3 from them.  It arrived here in the U.S. in 4 days.  Very happy with the service and the camera.  I too would be put out if I got a used camera but I did not and only have great things to say about them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2015, 11:42:37 PM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2015, 01:10:22 AM »

You are looking at a issue which online sellers and bloggers must deal with.

There is a reason as to why you were flagged.

You are behind a proxy and that raises a red flag.  That's exactly what online spammers and scammers do.

In your case, its your employer who is not sending information out with your IP address which identifies the origin of your order.  Its common for companies and government agencies to do this, but its a big issue for online sellers.

Amazon and some of the large online retailers can afford smarter systems that know the IP addresses of cities, companies, and government agencies.

If you tried to order from within the same IP that you use to post here, its going to cause a issue with a small overseas company that receives fraud attacks by the dozen every day. 

We often block new signups who hide behind a proxy, because 99% are spammers.

Send them what they requested, or don't hide behind a anonymous IP.

East Wind Photography

• 1D X
  • EWP
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2015, 06:57:51 AM »

It's also common practice for companies to only ship to the same address on record with your cc company.  This helps prevent people from using stolen credit cards to purchase items online.  If your shipping address is different you can call your cc company and let them know you are having an online order shipped somewhere else to pre-approve the order.

Not sure if this was the case for you or not but could be one reason for an order issue.

Just because they did it once doesn't mean someone didn't make a mistake at the store and released the order without verifying.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2015, 06:57:51 AM »