October 21, 2014, 07:18:01 AM

Author Topic: Method for taking names while shooting candids at an event  (Read 1842 times)

acoll123

• EOS M2
  • /
    • View Profile
Method for taking names while shooting candids at an event
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »
I have an event coming up and was wondering how everyone else takes names while taking candids at events. Is there an App for that? Or, should I just continue to carry a small notepad with me?

Thanks,

Andy

canon rumors FORUM

Method for taking names while shooting candids at an event
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Method for taking names while shooting candids at an event
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:38:23 AM »
The voice memo feature of the 1D X comes in handy for that sort of thing.  I suppose you could do something similiar with your phone or a small voice recorder - something one-handed would likely be easier than a notepad+pen.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »
notepad and pen all the way :-)

dexstrose

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:40:33 AM »
i'm still using pen and paper cause i can see what the names are quickly and how its spelled from what he or she gave me during the event.

annoyingzhang

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »
I work at a student newspaper and captions must include first and last name, their classification (junior senior etc) and major. So a lot of information to gather. Some of my coworkers use the movie function to just record audio. I personally use a dedicated digital voice recorder so I don't suck up memory! I find out when I'm in a rush my hand writing gets worse and then I can't read the names. Also a top tip: have them spell it out! There's a billion versions of Kalee, Kaylee, Caylee, Kallie, oh gosh!

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 11:59:31 AM »
There is the potential for camera makers/app developers to devise solutions to this issue. There should be a way for the camera to generate say one of those square bar codes and embed that information in the file - that way the subjects in the photo can easily find themselves online. Also app developers can make an app that could use that information to share the information immediately with nearby phone users. I am thinking there are lot of problems and functionality (that could be had) and issues that can be solved with the existing technology. There should be a way if you are a photographer at an event to allow nearby people to use your wifi to access your live content. Canon took the first step by integrating wifi integration with camera function with the 6D, lets see what is the full potential of this technology.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 12:15:27 PM »
I don't get such info anymore. When I did, we were in the paper and pencil age.

A local newspaper photographer I know uses his cell phone. Goes to the person after taking the picture, enters name, age, etc. through keypad and sends it right to the paper's ed. staff. They then cross check with the reporter who also asked the subject for that information.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 12:15:27 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:29:21 PM »
The voice memo feature of the 1D X comes in handy for that sort of thing.  I suppose you could do something similiar with your phone or a small voice recorder - something one-handed would likely be easier than a notepad+pen.

Man, I had a serious need for quick voice memos like this at a photo booth I did recently. >:(

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 08:05:42 PM »
Your phone probably has a voice recorder. They would replay back in sequence. To help you could start each persons voice tag with eg: "tall guy with red shirt" and get HIM to say his name (rank & serial number!), spell if necessary and there....you've got it. I use the voice recorder on 1-Series bodies.

-PW

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 09:00:23 PM »
Yep, get them to spell it otherwise chances are they'll be upset when they see their names in print but spelled incorrectly :)
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

pardus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 09:29:53 PM »
if they have a business card, get them to hold it to their face and take a snapshot close up. or if the atmosphere is not so casual then switch camera to vid mode for a sec or use iphone
5D MkIII | 7D | Bag of Lenses | Surfboards | Truck | Wife | Son | Dog | House | Life

kbmelb

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 10:40:47 PM »
The voice memo feature of the 1D X comes in handy for that sort of thing.

This is another reason why, I bought a used 1Ds3 instead of a second 5D3. This saves me much time.

If the event isn't too noisy you could use dictation device on your smart phone.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 10:40:47 PM »