August 29, 2014, 08:34:08 PM

Author Topic: EOS M Autofocus Performance Won't Improve via Firmware [CR2]  (Read 13216 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
EOS M Autofocus Performance Won't Improve via Firmware [CR2]
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »
EOS M AF performance stuck in its current form?
We’re told Canon may not be able to significantly improve the autofocus performance of the EOS M with firmware. We’ve receive contrasting stories about this, but an insider at Canon has told me they’ve been trying, but the limitation is more to do with hardware, than software. Canon did know going in that the autofocus performance was not as good as others in the industry, but didn’t think it was a deal breaker.

Next EOS M Body
I was also told that the next EOS M body will have greatly improved autofocus performance, but that the body would cost more than the current $700ish you can get the EOS M for.

New STM EF-M lenses will be launched along with the new body. A new superzoom kit, as well as a higher end telephoto zoom. A fast prime could also be on the way, but may not appear with the others.

The bad press about the autofocus performance is probably the biggest reason the camera isn’t selling extremely well, even though Canon thinks it’s more to do with the lack of lenses available for the system. I disagree with Canon, I think a lot of people would be quite happy with an EF-M 22mm f/2 kit.

Canon EOS M w/22mm f/2 at B&H Photo for $699 (Save $100)

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

EOS M Autofocus Performance Won't Improve via Firmware [CR2]
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »

sambafan

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: EOS M Autofocus Performance Won't Improve via Firmware [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 02:04:31 PM »
+1 - the negative reports on focusing system have kept me away, and I WOULD be happy with a 22mm f/2 kit. Still hoping to find a great "small shooter" to supplement my 5Dii.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 02:33:52 PM »
No surprise here. 1st Gen product.

botw

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 02:46:34 PM »

I'm an actual M owner and write this as someone who actually likes the camera.  The AF isn't great.  It is absolutely the reason it isn't selling well.  Lens availability may also be a reason, but at least the lenses already available are good.  Canon simply cannot price above the mirrorless competition and offer performance below.   The M needs to be cheaper. 

I hope this rumor is wrong, any improvement Canon can bring via firmware would be welcome, even if marginal.

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 02:51:31 PM »
Canon did know going in that the autofocus performance was not as good as others in the industry, but didn’t think it was a deal breaker.

Same for the 6D autofocus, obviously.  8)

Zlatko

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »
No surprise here. 1st Gen product.
Yes, 1st generation products too often have some problems.  But there is hope for this system as the 22mm STM lens for the M seems to be excellent according to the recent review on SLRGear.  Let's hope the next model of the M kicks up the AF speed and adds a nice viewfinder.  Fuji has got the right idea with their emphasis on the fast autofocus in the X100S, the 2nd generation of the X100.

Edited to add:  it's funny that some of us have "EOS M" under our names at the left.  We must be slow to focus. :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:01:14 PM by Zlatko »

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:13:22 PM »
I can't speak for others but slow AF was definitely the reason why I didn't buy the current M body. An absence of lenses can be corrected but I simply wasn't going to be stuck with a deficient body for years to come. What I want is something about the same size (or slightly larger) than my G10 but with dramatically better image quality and overall usability in low light. Also, after seeing the Metabones Speed Booster, I'd be willing to spend $1000 for something like it with professional image quality that lets me use my fast EF WA primes and zooms on an M-mount camera.

Are you listening Canon?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:14:57 PM by Bob Howland »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:13:22 PM »

piXelRider

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 03:21:33 PM »
That's sad, because AF was the dealbreaker for me. 22mm pancake was exactly what I was hoping for. And now the new one would be more expensive - I don't see myself buying that :/

ericski

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »
I'm another in the "AF performance was a deal breaker" camp. The form factor is very appealing to me but not until the AF is there.

SiuLoong

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 03:47:57 PM »
+1 to above

Almost bought a Panasonic GX1 last year having been waiting for Canon to sort themselves out for a while, when the M was announced I was on the verge of placing a pre-order but the previews and then reviews put me off, I've played with one in a shop on more than one occasion and really really wanted to get it but I cannot afford to replace cameras regularly (my main body is a 30D)... if the AF was reasonable in comparison to its peers (other mirrorless not dslrs) I would already have bought but its the possibility of a newer better version that has kept me waiting.  When it comes out, if its too expensive I may still go for the M as the AF speed is not an absolute deal breaker but it has been enough to put my off.  Whilst it'd be great if there were more lenses that is absolutely not the priority for me as I have a collection of EF & EF-S I still want to use.

I really think there is a big market for DSLR users/enthusiasts who want the quality and control in a smaller package for convenience or as a backup body - NOT just as an alternative but as an additional to a bigger body.  I still intend on using my 30D as there are some situations where whichever I go for will not be the best option, and I'd love to one day get a full frame dslr for portraits and landscapes.

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 04:52:45 PM »
Canon did know going in that the autofocus performance was not as good as others in the industry, but didn’t think it was a deal breaker.

This is typical Canon arrogance -- if we build it they will buy.

If the EOS M had the focusing speed of a Sony NEX-5n, and was priced competitivly I'd have bought one. Now I'm thinking of replacing my NEX-5n with a NEX-5r.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »
Dear Canon,

Autofocus will always be a deal breaker. Remember when you invented the EOS?

Also, the lack of easy manual controls is another reason I am not buying it. I am much more interested in the Nikon V2, and even more interested in an Olympus E5, I I can figure the name out. You thought beginners would love to upbuy a camera with 2 lenses available, but overlooked that your real market was advanced users wanting a small kit. I would love to take the EOS-M on a mountain climbing trip, but am forced by your lassitude into wandering desire.

-Me

What is truth?

Bigmaxy

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »
I own an EOS-M and could never recommend it to anyone else because of the AF speed. Not because of the lenses.
When I purchased it I knew about the AF issue, I needed a second body to use my EF lenses on a holiday and took a punt that the problem would be fixed with firmware. I'm not moaning since it's a risk I knew before hand and still took.
The form factor and rest of the camera is great. A built in flash would be good also.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 09:21:14 PM »
I'm interested with EOS M but I'll wait till their product is mature enough (it takes some time).  For now, I'll keep on shooting with my G11 when I'm not carrying my DSLR.  I hope they offer something close to M43 cameras price with good AF and a flip-screen.

tomsop

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 09:27:27 PM »
I really doubt Canon won't take the advantage of a firmware update to try to market it as an AF improvement and then leave it as an unquantifiable statement about improved AF.

It is funny how many people knew this would be a stinker before it saw the inside of a showroom.  1st gen is not an excuse  - I would have fired the people who let a subpar product see light of day.  We are too kind to these people and show way too much loyalty.

I have been on the sidelines with my Rebel Xsi because I am a casual photographer and don't need this equipment to earn my living.  I will continue to wait one more cycle to see if Canon can fix AF issues with the Rebel, M series or the 6D and not keep making silly mistakes (one point AF on 6D)  - if the next product does not deliver then I guess Sony or Nikon will be getting my money.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 09:27:27 PM »