September 01, 2014, 11:12:00 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]  (Read 65557 times)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2013, 10:44:20 AM »
ISO Performance to get close to the 5D3

The rest of the spec list looks pretty darn good, but I'll believe the line about ISO performance when I see RAW files.  But then again, in marketing speak 'close to the 5D3' might mean simply that the native range is 100-12800 (which is 'close to' the 100-25600 native range of the 5DIII and a 1-stop improvement on the 7D spec).  Many times, Canon's statements about ISO performance improvements refer to JPG images or ISO range, not noise levels at a given ISO setting.

+1 with Neuro

Well any camera could be close to the 5d3 in low light... it just depends on how much blurring and NR you do to combat it  ;D ;D
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2013, 10:44:20 AM »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »
Hopefully the shutter noise will closer to the 5DIII and less like the 1DX!

The 61 point AF is an obvious upgrade. The 10 fps would be welcome, but 8 was fine. 24mp? Well ok, but what's it's pixel quality and iso ability like? These are the two biggest dissapointments with the 7D. Compare the files from a 5DIII and there's no comparison.

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2013, 10:49:08 AM »
it looks like what the 6d should have been but with a ff sensor.  so annoying.

will this be better than the 6d?

What you mean is the 5D3.

This is what I thought will happen. The 7DII is a high end APS-C camera for the action shooter. The 6D is the semipro camera for the landscape and portrait shooter. The cameras are priced in the same range, so it is up to the user to deceide what he want's. High FPS and sophisticated AF (7DII), or superior Image quality (6D)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:58:05 AM by aj1575 »

Zlatko

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2013, 10:51:22 AM »
And this makes the 6D look pointless..
Not at all.  The 6D offers a sensor twice as big in a body that is slightly smaller and lighter than the 7D, and likely slightly smaller and lighter than the 7DII.  Each camera will have its purpose.

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »

The rest of the spec list looks pretty darn good, but
Lets assume the other interpretation was meant: not the same settings, but the settings that lead to similar results in terms of perspective and DOF. Good enough for anybody working not wide open.
That could work out if the infrastructure shrinks in proportion to the sensor or the same real estate is used for improved electronics

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2013, 10:57:04 AM »
And this makes the 6D look pointless..
Not at all.  The 6D offers a sensor twice as big in a body that is slightly smaller and lighter than the 7D, and likely slightly smaller and lighter than the 7DII.  Each camera will have its purpose.

Yep, completley different cameras, different markets, application and specs.
I'm considering a 3rd camera and the 6D is ticking all the right boxes for me to go alongside my current 5DIII's....the 7DII prolly wouldn't be so attractive to me unless the ISO raw capability was close to a 5DIII/6D.

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2013, 11:01:20 AM »
I'm espacially looking forward to the sensor. 24MP most likely means that it will Canons first DSLR sensor from the 0.18um process (down from 50um). This would mean a bigger step in sensor evolution for Canon. It will be interesting to see how they compare to Sony and to Canon FF.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2013, 11:01:20 AM »

jonjt

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2013, 11:03:20 AM »
"The Last Camera Syndrome" article really applies here.  These specs are all nice but, none will persuade me to buy the 7D mkii, over my 7D.  All, except for one.  If this new APS-C sensor really does have, at the least, 5Dmkii noise performance, then I will strive to purchase one.  The problem is, I seriously doubt the sensor will achieve such performance, even with superb noise reduction software and resizing. 

One can only hope.  If not, my 7D will remain a prized possession.

many new customers will nevertheless enjoy the better features.

10 FPS with an 61 point AF system..... mhm... that sounds delicious.

They certainly will.  I was only speaking from the perspective of someone that has a 7D.

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2013, 11:07:59 AM »
I own a 7D (and a 5D3). In a 7D2, I'd rather have the same pixel count and dramatically better high ISO image quality and dynamic range than 24MP and slightly better high ISO image quality and dynamic range. (I almost always shoot raw.) I'd like two CF card slots but can live with 1 CF and 1 SD. 10 FPS is better but 8 FPS is usually good enough. Improved focusing is always welcome but, honestly, 7D focusing is pretty good now.

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2013, 11:14:23 AM »
If it has f/8 AF points, a decent sensor, and video crop modes, I might even order one at launch.  Next, they need to update the 5DIII with the sensor tech from this camera and add GPS and WiFi.  GPS isn't a frivolous thing for those of us that geo-tag our images.  It saves considerable time in post.

nolken

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2013, 11:15:24 AM »

The rest of the spec list looks pretty darn good, but I'll believe the line about ISO performance when I see RAW files.  But then again, in marketing speak 'close to the 5D3' might mean simply that the native range is 100-12800 (which is 'close to' the 100-25600 native range of the 5DIII and a 1-stop improvement on the 7D spec).  Many times, Canon's statements about ISO performance improvements refer to JPG images or ISO range, not noise levels at a given ISO setting.

I agree completely. I was thinking the exact same thing as far as the marketing strategy is concerned. It would not surprise me one bit. I can't imagine the 7D mark II having comparable noise at the same ISO speed as the 5D mark III.

MichaelHodges

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2013, 11:18:21 AM »
Looks great, but I doubt I'll be upgrading my 7D for it. 24mp on APS-C just scares me, and makes me think jpg in-camera processing rather than dynamic range and blue channel noise in RAW at ISO 100 and 200.

My current 7D is built like a tank and does pretty well.

---------------

http://michaelhodgesfiction.com/

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
sound like a great camera and there is two things that i would like to add to this camera if canon could help:
1. highlight alert (i.e. default/or auto enable like canon 20d, 30d, etc) when viewing image with histogram
2. spot metering circle (options to enable it as if it in other metering mode is selected. not just like 7d, it only offer with spot metering mode)
3. exposure hold (options to enable not to timeout as long as new exposure is choosen).  i believe that with this option, i would probably moving faster than now in Av and Tv mode.  for now, i have to use manual mode all the time since exposure would be canceled during the time that i am playing around with focus point(s)

note:
1. on the third option, i am not sure if i know how to use it properly on my canon 7d. but even setting up with exposure hold.  it would not hold my exposure like i have stated  :(
2. feel free to add to my wish list  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »

nolken

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »
3. exposure hold (options to enable not to timeout as long as new exposure is choosen).  i believe that with this option, i would probably moving faster than now in Av and Tv mode.  for now, i have to use manual mode all the time since exposure would be canceled during the time that i am playing around with focus point(s)

the AE lock holds for 4 seconds on the 7D. I do believe that it will lock continuously so long as you press the button at least once every 4 seconds, though i have not tested this as i do not use this feature often.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2013, 11:31:46 AM »
Good up to this point canon, Don't drop it now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2013, 11:31:46 AM »