October 23, 2014, 04:57:25 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]  (Read 68795 times)

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2013, 01:25:57 PM »
If it had the sensor quality of at least a Nikon 3200 and some revolutionary new AF system that would drastically reduce my f/1.8 lowlight misses, I would consider it.

+1
Canon's new APS-C flagship better have at least the sensor performance of their main competitor's cheapest, entry-level, base camera.
Oh, if only they could...  :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2013, 01:25:57 PM »

Jackson_Bill

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2013, 01:26:41 PM »
sound like a great camera and there is two things that i would like to add to this camera if canon could help:
1. highlight alert (i.e. default/or auto enable like canon 20d, 30d, etc) when viewing image with histogram

The 7D already does that - I don't see why the new one wouldn't.
Menu Playback2 / Highlight Alert / Enable

that1guyy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2013, 01:32:48 PM »
magic lantern?

I'd prefer something officially supported - botching a production because of something unexpected happening in conjunction with a hack would seriously suck.

Well thousands use it on pro gigs with no problems.

Anyways, magic lantern is installed on an sd card. If something is not working, just use another card.

skycolt

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2013, 01:35:24 PM »
I like everything in the spec except 24MP sensor. I like a clean sensor rather than a high MP one. I don't like the big file size it generated. And it may be too critical for my lenses and I have to put more money on better lenses again. for me, 18MP is already too much. I don't know the resolution limit of 400mm 2.8 and 500mm f4. I definitively don't want to buy them in the near future. But maybe canon can add some algorithm to generate better s/mRAW files

Jackson_Bill

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2013, 01:46:45 PM »

• 24.1mp APS-C Sensor
  • 10fps
  • Dual Memory Card Slots
  • 61 AF Points
  • ISO Performance to get close to the 5D3
  • GPS & Wifi
And for 2100$ ?

No way! Looks like someones dreamlist.
As a 7D user I love to have this kind of upgrade but it seems unreal to me.

Why jump from 19 to 61 points? 19 is good. The combo of 24.1MP and 10fps is already impressive upgrade. Why GPS & WiFi? There are available solutions

+1 on all points

Powder Portraits

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • viewmyimages
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »
I can't wait. Will start saving my money now. Hopefully their will be a little price break right before Xmas 2013.  :)

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »
gps and wifi can be dropped, who needs that on a wildlife camera? (ok gps might be handy..., but i wanna choose)

Other then that the specs look what i hoped for..., if this is true i am very likely to use this on a long lens and the 1dmkiv on a 70-200'ish

Now just hope it gets announced soon and that the specs will be like that!

Well, if you have a little bit of imagination... Keep in mind, big desktop PC's are no longer the primary platform for computing. I would LOVE to have BOTH GPS and WiFi in my DSLR. Obviously GPS, so I can track where I took my photos without having to go through the process manually in post (which can take hours for a lot of photos). WiFi, because I can have a tablet (Surface Pro in my case) off in my car, tethered to my phone which is acting like a wireless hotspot. I can either buy an app (if one exists) or write an app (its really easy these days) to automatically receive incoming photos from my camera as I take them, organize and archive them, possibly even upload copies and JPEGs to my SkyDrive for backup if I am within range of a cell phone tower (which, in my case, is often the case as I photograph birds at the local state parks and reserves within or near city boundaries, etc.

The world is no longer bound to processing your photos on a desktop. Don't get me wrong...I'll NEVER give up my desktop...that puppy is a beast that has the power to drive high megapixel processing of my photos in that power-sucking tool we all love to hate: Lightroom. But a lot of cool things can be done out in the field, so long as you are within range, using a smartphone, a tablet, and a wifi connection. The backup opportunities alone, when within range of a cell tower, could be huge! Obviously if you are way out in the middle of nowhere, these benefits diminish...however being able to tether the camera to a tablet as a means of extra storage at the very least, with the tablet powered by your car's battery, is still a handy convenience and a useful bonus.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2013, 02:05:56 PM »
I like everything in the spec except 24MP sensor. I like a clean sensor rather than a high MP one. I don't like the big file size it generated. And it may be too critical for my lenses and I have to put more money on better lenses again. for me, 18MP is already too much. I don't know the resolution limit of 400mm 2.8 and 500mm f4. I definitively don't want to buy them in the near future. But maybe canon can add some algorithm to generate better s/mRAW files

If the sensor is fabricated on a 180nm design with higher Q.E., those 24mp could look FAR better than the 18mp the original 7D has now. It all depends on whether Canon ups the ante on sensor tech, or just moves to a higher pixel count. If the former, technically speaking, there is never anything "bad" about more resolution. Even if the sensor outresolves your lens, if you scale down to 18mp, 16mp, or anything "web sized", it will still look better than the 7D...you won't see any softness when scaled down, even with lenses that might not quite be good enough.

For all the rest of us who have or are willing to buy better glass, the higher resolution means more reach, so our expensive glass goes that much farther. I'm all for 24.1mp....assuming Canon actually moves to a new process and makes those 24 million pixels BETTER.

Marsu42

• ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2013, 02:06:32 PM »
magic lantern?
I'd prefer something officially supported - botching a production because of something unexpected happening in conjunction with a hack would seriously suck.
Well thousands use it on pro gigs with no problems.
Anyways, magic lantern is installed on an sd card. If something is not working, just use another card.

... or just simply press the SET key when starting the camera, ml will disable itself and it'll be like a clean sd card.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2013, 02:07:58 PM »
Wonder how sensitive the centre AF point will be, down to -3?

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2013, 02:13:35 PM »
No that's the wrong way of looking at it.
The 6D is pitched as an 'entry level' or first time FF body.
The 7D line is the 'high end' Crop body.

Precisely!

Counting my pennies...
Canon 7D

ishdakuteb

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2013, 02:15:43 PM »
i am in for one as long as canon can make it low noise at high iso (do not really much care about luminosity noise, but color noise is annoying).  cannot imagine that 61 new focus points speading through out corner of the screen... love it

note:  do not forget about trying to add an option which toggles between AE Lock Hold and AE Lock Cancel, pefer not to keep my thumb full time on a button for holding exposure... my thumb should be on my joint stick to select my desired focus point :P

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2013, 02:20:01 PM »
Well, if you have a little bit of imagination... Keep in mind, big desktop PC's are no longer the primary platform for computing. I would LOVE to have BOTH GPS and WiFi in my DSLR. Obviously GPS, so I can track where I took my photos without having to go through the process manually in post (which can take hours for a lot of photos). WiFi, because I can have a tablet (Surface Pro in my case) off in my car, tethered to my phone which is acting like a wireless hotspot. I can either buy an app (if one exists) or write an app (its really easy these days) to automatically receive incoming photos from my camera as I take them, organize and archive them, possibly even upload copies and JPEGs to my SkyDrive for backup if I am within range of a cell phone tower (which, in my case, is often the case as I photograph birds at the local state parks and reserves within or near city boundaries, etc.

The world is no longer bound to processing your photos on a desktop. Don't get me wrong...I'll NEVER give up my desktop...that puppy is a beast that has the power to drive high megapixel processing of my photos in that power-sucking tool we all love to hate: Lightroom. But a lot of cool things can be done out in the field, so long as you are within range, using a smartphone, a tablet, and a wifi connection. The backup opportunities alone, when within range of a cell tower, could be huge! Obviously if you are way out in the middle of nowhere, these benefits diminish...however being able to tether the camera to a tablet as a means of extra storage at the very least, with the tablet powered by your car's battery, is still a handy convenience and a useful bonus.

Agreed completely! I can definitely see WiFi tethering and GPS as bonus features for wildlife. You could set up your camera observing a nest, say, and be comfortably out of sight in your car, or in a chair a few feet away. The bird wouldn't get spooked by moving to take the shot. They still might be by the sound, but hopefully you'll get at least a few shots off!

And the ability to WiFi it to my iPad would be really handy!
Canon 7D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2013, 02:20:01 PM »

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2013, 02:32:01 PM »
how can a 7d be professional, and a 6d be semi professional? the numbers literally dont add up!    surely a FF camera has to be better than an aps-c in terms of spec.  9 af points vs 61 is just crazy!!
Why not?
APS-H is not full frame, but it was considered a professional camera compared to a full frame like a 5D ... so it is possible to make an APS-C camera that can be considered a professional camera, especially for budget conscious sports photographers if the 7D II has 10 fps and all the other goodies that were mentioned.

there has to be something wrong with the cheaper camera having better af and a better housing to protect it, whatever the size of the sensor.

Don't underestimate the cost of an FF sensor. They are still almost 4x the area of an APS-C. Also, the 7D has classically had a higher frame rate, and if the "trend" holds true, it will be 2fps less than the FF 1D series flagship. At 24mp, no matter how good the sensor is (unless its got about 80-90% Q.E., which I HIGHLY doubt), it will most certainly be noiser than the 5D III. The much larger pixel area of the 5D III will always give it the edge in terms of IQ. The 5D III will also have other benefits, such as thinner DOF thanks to the larger FoV (allowing closer focus), etc.

The two cameras are designed for different audiences. The 5D III is still going to be the king of general purpose cameras, hands down. The 7D II will fill more of a niche market of wildlife photographers who want extra reach in a lighter package, but I wouldn't call it a real "general purpose" camera like the 5D III. I'd look to a 5D III for portraiture, landscapes, pretty much everything outside of wildlife and birds, and even then...if I have the opportunity to get closer, such as when photographing songbirds in my yard, I'll grab the 5D III and telephoto lens like the 600 f/4 without a TC. Better boke, closer focus, and frame-filling such that the 7D would clip the subjects.

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2013, 02:32:21 PM »
What If.... It also had built In RT triggers for speedlites? I'd trade that for GPS/WIFI anyday :o

THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Although I would like the GPS TBH.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2013, 02:32:21 PM »