October 22, 2014, 11:46:48 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]  (Read 68733 times)

Lawliet

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »
... or just simply press the SET key when starting the camera, ml will disable itself and it'll be like a clean sd card.

Thats post facto, damage already done. I wouldn't care about a destroyed camera, but the lost time and reset/pickup costs hurt.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »

jimjamesjimmy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2013, 02:34:36 PM »
No that's the wrong way of looking at it.
The 6D is pitched as an 'entry level' or first time FF body.
The 7D line is the 'high end' Crop body.

Precisely!

Counting my pennies...

so the 6d is 'entry level'   yet the 7d 2 is high end.

doesnt want to make me buy the 6d anymore! :(

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2013, 02:46:34 PM »

Precisely!

Counting my pennies...

6D is entry level to the FF segment. Aimed at a backup for people with a 5d3 or just making the jump from a APS-C to FF.   It is a GREAT camera and will produce wonderful images. The 7d2 is aimed at people who have the need for a 1.6x crop factor (sports, wildlife etc). Both cameras will fit perfectly into their respective roles perfectly.

Hell.. I would not be surprised if because of the low light performance and lower weight of the 6d you see a large number of 5dMkII wedding shooters swap over to it over the Mk3.

A number of people have stated it.. the Mk3 is a good "general purpose" camera and that is exactly what I use mine for.

Blaze

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2013, 02:53:30 PM »

Precisely!

Counting my pennies...

Yes. The 6D is an entry level full frame camera whereas the 7D is a premium crop camera.

That doesn't mean that the 7D is necessarily the better choice. The FF sensor makes a huge difference. Because of its much larger (and newer) sensor, the 6D will produce much cleaner images with better color and dynamic range especially in low light situations.

The 6D can't match the AF, build quality, and speed of the 7D but you shouldn't expect it to. It's aimed at people who want the benefits of a FF sensor but who don't need / don't want to pay for those extra features. If you need those features, that's where the 5D3 and 1DX come in, but the 6D offers pretty much the same image quality for a much lower price.

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2013, 03:01:28 PM »

Precisely!

Counting my pennies...

I upgraded to 5DII instead of 7D years ago because I did not like the IQ of the 7D. Even though the 7D had better AF, and some other tricks, I didn't regret it for a minute.

I upgraded to the 5DIII recently instead of 6D because the 5DIII does everything well, and has better video IQ and better video features. To me the 5DIII is worth the price over the 6D.

Given the choice of 6D or 7DII at similar prices, I'd likely go 6D. It's very hard to do without FF goodness once you've had it.

At this point I'd only be tempted by a fully featured APS-C (of super-35) video camera at under $3000 (C50 maybe?) because the 5DIII is such an amazing do-everything camera.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2013, 03:04:56 PM »
I don't really believe that the noise performance would be that much better than the current 7d. They went down on res compared to the 5d2 with the 1dX and up in sensor size to be better than the 1d4, the 5d3 has the same res as the 5d2 and still is only better over 1600/3200 iso. So increasing the mp from 18 to 24 on an aps-c sensor doesn't read killer high iso performance for me. MP still sells....
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:09:45 PM by Viggo »
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2013, 03:08:08 PM »
Given the choice of 6D or 7DII at similar prices, I'd likely go 6D. It's very hard to do without FF goodness once you've had it.

I'll also buy a ff in the next time, but again what you're saying isn't valid for everyone - what good does a ff sensor if the lens cannot reach your subject or the tc you have to plug on lowers iq, aperture and af speed? Sure you can buy a tele prime which compensates the 1.6x reach difference, but at higher weight, bulk and 5 times the price - that's not for everyone.

Plus the smaller depth of field of a ff sensor (given the same subject size in the resulting shot) might be a problem for many shots, for wildlife I often have to stop down to f10 to get even a tiny bird in full focus - so I'll certainly keep and use my 60d even once I have a 6d.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:14:21 PM by Marsu42 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2013, 03:08:08 PM »

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »

Baloney.

Depends on what you're shooting.  When I'm shooting airshows I'll take a speedy crop camera over a slower and larger pixel full-frame every time, and I do.  When I'm shooting slower stuff, lower light stuff, or when I'm not focal length limited, I'll shoot the full-frame.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2013, 03:13:48 PM »

Precisely!

Counting my pennies...

You have to look at the right tool for the job....

Some jobs are best done with FF cameras, some with APS-C cameras, and some with P/S.... I can get a 1DX and lots of L glass for it, but if what I want is an inspection camera that I have to be able to fit through a 1 inch slot, that 1DX sucks and an iPhone rocks. If your job is best done by a FF camera with apropriate lenses, then FF rocks and APS-C sucks... but there are other time when APS-C beats FF.... And no, this is not a sensor size thing... it is a combination of sensor, lens, weight, cost, and features.

A 1DX takes better pictures than an iphone....but if I decide that convenience is more important than image quality, I'd reach for the iPhone.... better tool for the job at hand.  If I want to take landscape photos, personally, I would pick the 6D over the 7D any day of the week. If I'm going hiking I want an APS-C camera with a superzoom lens. Right tool for the job.

The best camera is the one in your hands

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »
PLZ TAKE MY MONEY!

I will send you a PM with my address... feel free to mail me your money. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2013, 03:21:49 PM »

• 24.1mp APS-C Sensor
  • 10fps
  • Dual Memory Card Slots
  • 61 AF Points
  • ISO Performance to get close to the 5D3
  • GPS & Wifi
And for 2100$ ?

No way! Looks like someones dreamlist.
As a 7D user I love to have this kind of upgrade but it seems unreal to me.

Why jump from 19 to 61 points? 19 is good. The combo of 24.1MP and 10fps is already impressive upgrade. Why GPS & WiFi? There are available solutions

The 5d2 only had 9 points with a handful "invisible assist points"...  seems logical for the "king" of APC cameras..
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2013, 03:24:19 PM »
Slam in a FF sensor with these MP and this would've been an awesome 5D3!  LOL!

Still, it's a pretty darn nice sports and wildlife shooter. A totally nice and great upgrade to the current 7D.
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »
Why jump from 19 to 61 points? 19 is good.

Yup...19 is "good". Not great. As someone who spends nearly every weekend and as much of each weekday as he can with his 7D, I know the 19 point AF system intimately. It is good, but FAR from great. It could really use an improvement. I'd LOVE to have 61 points like the 5D III. However, I'd be happy with something like a 41pt reticular AF system with 21pt cross type, if that is all that would fit in the APS-C frame. Part of the problem with the 19pt AF system is the points are still fairly widely spaced, and there are areas where no AF points exist at all due to the diamond shape. A reticular, more rectangular shape to the AF point array would be a VERY WELCOME improvement to the good 19pt system.

To really make it "great" though, I think the AF drive firmware needs to be improved. The thing that drives me the most crazy about my 7D is the jittery AF. You can NAIL focus right on a birds eye, and the bird can be PERFECTLY STILL...and the 7D AF system will still jump around by microscopic amounts in AI Servo. If you hold the button down, or press, release, press, the AF system is always "trying" to re-lock. Sometimes, even when a solid AF lock is already held, on a stationary or moving subject, the 7D will suddenly start hunting. Most annoying quirk of an AF system ever. I blame it partly on the widely spaced points, and mostly on the recent firmware update (which seemed to make the problem worse.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »

Larry

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »
my thumb should be on my joint stick to select my desired focus point :P

If your thumb is on your joint stick, it would seem that you have already selected what you want to focus on. ::)

When you are ready to take some photos, move it back to the camera.

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2013, 03:37:56 PM »
Can't wait for this one to be announced :)
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2013, 03:37:56 PM »