July 26, 2014, 11:16:57 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]  (Read 63461 times)

DanielW

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2013, 06:19:35 PM »
No word on built-in flash y/n?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2013, 06:19:35 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2013, 06:33:49 PM »
If these specs are real, I find this an impressive upgrade. As I own the 7D (which I love) - the increase in ISO performance (close to the 5DmkIII) is a particularly attractive feature for me. 61 AF pts and 10 FPS are definitely great, but not essential (I'm quite happy with the 7D's current 19 AF pts and 8 FPS).   ;)

WiFi and GPS are 'nice' but not necessary for my use. Even less important for me are the 'lots of video' features and the dual memory card slots (please keep it CF, I have some great CF cards I want to keep using - plus same battery please while we're at it!)

The 24.1 MP is interesting.. if it has sharp per pixel definition and also has low noise across the ISO range (particularly @ ISO100 & ISO200 for landscapes) I'll be particularly happy!  I do like to crop in various photos, especially for some wildlife.

Cheers! Let's see if this becomes a CR3 and then reality....!! Hope so....  8)

Paul

agreed while i happily criticise the current crop sensor for being pretty poor (because I firmly believe it is substandard)
IF perhaps they use this new process thats been discussed to fix the image quality issues it will be very good.
personally i dont care about the whole "I want massive DR on a DxO score" that will no doubt be argued to death with tantrums aplenty.

Can a 1.6 crop sensor produce sharpness on a per pixel level closer to that of FF? I dont know, 1.3 crop can get a whole lot closer we know that and that the current 1.6 crops to date cant. thats all using the current tech though.

IF this new tech CAN close that gap its going to shake things up. and at that price I could definately see myself picking a couple of bodies up to replace the 5dmk2 me and my wife currently use in tandem with our mk3s
I've been itching to have a 5Dmk2 undergo a permanent IR conversion and with the price drop on the mk2s there is no point selling them.

I would hope they leave the battery the same though as that is absolutely key for us is having a pool of batteries for all our wedding cameras that can go into any body

On paper the specs look like a winner, they do look too good to be true though as on paper it risks taking sales away from the 5Dmk3 :P but I guess by the time this camera comes out the rumours of the 5Dmk4 will be running wild :D
APS-H Fanboy

jrista

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2013, 06:41:01 PM »
Why jump from 19 to 61 points? 19 is good.

You can NAIL focus right on a birds eye, and the bird can be PERFECTLY STILL...and the 7D AF system will still jump around by microscopic amounts in AI Servo. If you hold the button down, or press, release, press, the AF system is always "trying" to re-lock. Sometimes, even when a solid AF lock is already held, on a stationary or moving subject, the 7D will suddenly start hunting. Most annoying quirk of an AF system ever. I blame it partly on the widely spaced points, and mostly on the recent firmware update (which seemed to make the problem worse.)

A little off-topic but - have you noticed the same jumping problem with AI focus?

I've never used AI Focus. I used to switch between single and AI Servo, however since getting the 7D I have always used back-button focus (AF-ON is decoupled from the shutter and only assigned to the back button). As such, I can "single shot" focus by pressing the AF button until focus is locked, then release. For tracking, I just press and hold. So, my camera is perpetually in a single AF mode, and I've never really tried anything else.

I've also never really understood what that third focus option was, or how it worked. Would it be better for non-tracking servo-type AF work?
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2013, 06:48:09 PM »
I've never used AI Focus... I've also never really understood what that third focus option was, or how it worked. Would it be better for non-tracking servo-type AF work?

AI Focus is supposed to behave like One Shot, and if the camera thinks the subject has begun to move, it automatically switches to AI Servo.  Sounds nice, in theory. How well does it work?  Well...AI Focus is not an option on 1-series bodies, so you can probably draw some conclusions based on that.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2013, 07:06:37 PM »
I've never used AI Focus... I've also never really understood what that third focus option was, or how it worked. Would it be better for non-tracking servo-type AF work?

AI Focus is supposed to behave like One Shot, and if the camera thinks the subject has begun to move, it automatically switches to AI Servo.  Sounds nice, in theory. How well does it work?  Well...AI Focus is not an option on 1-series bodies, so you can probably draw some conclusions based on that.

Ah...well, pass on that. I prefer my setup. :P
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2013, 07:21:05 PM »
Sounds impressive if that is the 5D3 AF in there. Were it to match exmor at low iso then you'd really have a heck of a sick APS-C cam and I might even be wondering if the 24-70 II and FF even makes sense for me.

(although perhaps a 6fps, 40MP, 5D4, with dual digic for full video read and high quality downscale, arrives in spring 2014??)

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »
Looks great but I highly doubt it will come close to noise wise to a FF sensor especially with 6 more MP.

If thats what your hoping for then I think you will be disappointed. An APC camera will always have more noise than a full frame sensor.

Indeed, that's the thing... It's all still speculation of course but the key thing is the 'ISO performance close to the 5D mkIII'. Being that it's not a full frame sensor, how close is close?!

They might just mean comparing NR in cam jpgs....  :(
There isn't that much room left to improve 7D mid-tone SNR, although there is some.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2013, 07:28:52 PM »
Canon cannot put the same AF-system like the 5D Mark III´s in an 7D Mark II for the mentioned price. So don´t expect it.

Why not and doesn't the sports/wildlife came need it? One of the key upgrdes the 7D could use is the real pro-level AF, the 7D still performed under many circumstances like an xxD (soccer for instance). They did raise the price compared to the original 7D, if not for the pro-level AF, then what?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:30:47 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2013, 07:32:14 PM »

• 24.1mp APS-C Sensor
  • 10fps
  • Dual Memory Card Slots
  • 61 AF Points
  • ISO Performance to get close to the 5D3
  • GPS & Wifi
And for 2100$ ?

No way! Looks like someones dreamlist.
As a 7D user I love to have this kind of upgrade but it seems unreal to me.

Why jump from 19 to 61 points? 19 is good. The combo of 24.1MP and 10fps is already impressive upgrade. Why GPS & WiFi? There are available solutions

7D points were too spread to serve as helpers. A single point was often too small and a cluster was way too large and grabby for certain field sports.

Why a dream list?? It is years later and costs more.

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2013, 07:33:29 PM »
In my opinion the 7D only needs improved AF and better high'ish iso performance, say 3200 to 6400. I was never convinced about its low iso performance but that might just have been my copy. I had issues with noise at 200 and 400 iso. Sent it back to Canon with that query and it seemed there was an improvement on return but I still opted to use iso's either side of those values if I could.

Additions of wifi and gps would be nice to have but basically an improvement on iq is the most important issue and that will come with improved AF and improved iso performance. I'd be happy enough with a marginal 10-20% uplift in megpixels but not at expense of iq.
1Dx, 7D, 24-105, 70-200 IS II, 16-35 II, 100mm Macro IS, 85mm F1.2L II, 24mm F2.8 IS, 18-200, Sigma 1.4x, Canon 2x iii, 430EXII, 600EX- RT, ST-E3 Fuji x100s and X-T1

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2013, 07:35:58 PM »
Don't underestimate the cost of an FF sensor. They are still almost 4x the area of an APS-C.

More like 2.56x. But even so that does make them cost more.

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2013, 07:37:36 PM »
No that's the wrong way of looking at it.
The 6D is pitched as an 'entry level' or first time FF body.
The 7D line is the 'high end' Crop body.

Precisely!

Counting my pennies...

why thank you. keep counting those pennies  ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:40:37 PM by lastcoyote »
Canon 5D Mark III | BG-E11 | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 135 f2L | MP-E 65 f2.8 | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2013, 07:46:09 PM »
Sorry, a little off topic.  Anyone know what Canon camera is in this below linked picture?  Never seen one with the red piece by the hotshoe.  Looks like a 7D is why I am posting on this thread. 

http://500px.com/photo/26318243

Update:Even more suspicious is the Canon logo has been removed, this has a pop-up flash and looks to be in new condition.  Can't place the lens either the more I look at this - size wise looks like the 85mm 1.2 but the bulge appears different by the camera mount from the current 85,1.2???

Could it be a 7D with some red thingy stuck on by the flash shoe?
Nothing else out there for sale now that it could be.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2013, 07:46:09 PM »

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2013, 08:05:27 PM »
Sorry, a little off topic.  Anyone know what Canon camera is in this below linked picture?  Never seen one with the red piece by the hotshoe.  Looks like a 7D is why I am posting on this thread. 

http://500px.com/photo/26318243

Update:Even more suspicious is the Canon logo has been removed, this has a pop-up flash and looks to be in new condition.  Can't place the lens either the more I look at this - size wise looks like the 85mm 1.2 but the bulge appears different by the camera mount from the current 85,1.2???

Could it be a 7D with some red thingy stuck on by the flash shoe?
Nothing else out there for sale now that it could be.

Lens is def a 50 1.2. Camera.. who knows~

RichM

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • NH Sports Photography
« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2013, 08:27:53 PM »
I was all set to sell my 5d2 and get a 5d3, and then the latest rumor...argh.  While I really "want" the 1dx, it is just hard to justify right now.  About 80% of my shooting is sports - whatever is in season and I can get access to or that I'm hired to cover.  Hockey is a big part of the mix.

I find I shoot sports far more with my 7d than the 5d2, mostly due to the "reach", but partly due to the better focus hit rate of the 7d.  8 fps is nice too.

But I find the 5d2 images significantly better, particularly in the  1600-2000 ISO range required at local hockey rinks.  And like everyone else I've read, I find the 5d2 images (FF) to be noticeably more pleasing by all measures, and infinitely superior for portrait/landscape work.   

I've been holding out for the 7d2.  If it is anywhere near the specs listed, with improved IQ at higher ISO, there will be no way for me to resist.    I don't care that much about more MP, GPS, or video features.  Improved IQ/ISO performance is tops on the list for me, followed by even better AF than the current good 7d.  For me, you can leave video off.  I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've shot video.

OK Canon - hurry up!  It's been more than 3 years now.  The 7d has more than paid for itself!
5d3, 7d gripped,  17-40f4L, 24-105f4L, 70-200f2.8LII, 50f1.8, 300f4L, 430EX2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2013, 08:27:53 PM »