August 22, 2014, 04:52:22 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]  (Read 64956 times)

CatfishSoupFTW

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]
« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »
sounds almost better than a mrk3 but its asp-c D:

too good to be true?
5DmrkII, 40D, 24-105 F4L, 50mm 1.8, 17-85, 70-300

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2013, 08:45:48 PM »
I don't get how it can feature "5dMkIII build quality" and GPS. Wasn't the reason for the partial weather sealing of the 6D that GPS needs a polycarbonate top for signal reception and can't use a full metal shell like the 1D?

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2013, 09:04:03 PM »
The only complaint I ever heard from a 7D user was about their sensor. Now they get near 5D3 ISO ability. That is great! They also get a 25% bump in FPS, wifi, gps, upgraded AF system and a few other goodies like video features.

And who are these people complaining that this should have been the 5D3 or 6D? 10 FPS on a FF body is called the 1Dx.

I'm not even sure why I bother with the forum on this site.

+1 The specs look awesome as a high end crop sensor camera, and it's pointless to say this should have been the 6D or 5D3.  Beyond the fact that from a marketing point of view it would make no sense to offer the 5D3/6D with all those specs and kill off the value of the 1Dx, it's fairly obvious that it's easier and cheaper to make smaller mirror-boxes, shutters, view finders, AF systems, and most importantly sensors, than it is to make full frame equivalents.  So of course they can offer near 1Dx level performance for a lower price if they shrink the sensor.

In the end it looks like it comes down to this:
Need great AF and fps for birding/sports on a budget get the 7D(2).
Need great IQ on a budget, get the 6D/5D2.
Need great IQ and mid-range AF/fps get a 5D3.
Need (almost) everything and the kitchen sink and have lots of money, get a 1Dx.
Need maximal DR, 36MP, and huge RAW files, go to another forum.

Of course there is also want (different from need): I want 20fps, 40MP, 16 stops of DR, perfectly clean ISO 25600, 110 point all cross type AF, and under $2000 ;)
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

coreyhkh

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2013, 09:07:25 PM »
The Camera in that pic has what looks 1d body, there was a rumor that the next 7d would have a new body.

caint wait for this.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 19, 2013, 09:08:12 PM »
I don't get how it can feature "5dMkIII build quality" and GPS. Wasn't the reason for the partial weather sealing of the 6D that GPS needs a polycarbonate top for signal reception and can't use a full metal shell like the 1D?

Not all metal is the same.... Some metals are really good at blocking RF and others just do a so-so job. Also, the antenna can be outside of the metal body and it can still be sealed.... Take a look at the 5D3.... it's a sealed camera, yet look at the shell.... more holes than swiss cheese. just because it is a metal body does not mean that it is electromagneticly sealed.

EDIT: and it can talk to a wireless flash....
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:30:17 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 19, 2013, 09:14:34 PM »
Very impressive rumoured specs indeed. Mind you August is a long way off...
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »
Sorry, a little off topic.  Anyone know what Canon camera is in this below linked picture?  Never seen one with the red piece by the hotshoe.  Looks like a 7D is why I am posting on this thread. 

http://500px.com/photo/26318243

Update:Even more suspicious is the Canon logo has been removed, this has a pop-up flash and looks to be in new condition.  Can't place the lens either the more I look at this - size wise looks like the 85mm 1.2 but the bulge appears different by the camera mount from the current 85,1.2???

Could it be a 7D with some red thingy stuck on by the flash shoe?
Nothing else out there for sale now that it could be.

Perhaps it's a prototype for a Canon camera using the RED sensor...... how's that for a wild guess???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »

Plamen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #172 on: February 19, 2013, 09:21:21 PM »
ISO Performance to get close to the 5D3

The rest of the spec list looks pretty darn good, but I'll believe the line about ISO performance when I see RAW files.  But then again, in marketing speak 'close to the 5D3' might mean simply that the native range is 100-12800 (which is 'close to' the 100-25600 native range of the 5DIII and a 1-stop improvement on the 7D spec).  Many times, Canon's statements about ISO performance improvements refer to JPG images or ISO range, not noise levels at a given ISO setting.

+1. To have the same shot noise as the 5D3, the new 7D must have QE of about 125% (if you believe the Sensorgen figures), which is absurd. The only thing the can and should do is to improve the read noise and to bring the QE in line with the recent sensors, Canon included.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #173 on: February 19, 2013, 09:40:47 PM »
If 7D2's ISO3200 IQ is better or almost the same as 7D's ISO400, I think I'll go for this rather than 6D.

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #174 on: February 19, 2013, 09:44:09 PM »

Not all metal is the same.... Some metals are really good at blocking RF and others just do a so-so job. Also, the antenna can be outside of the metal body and it can still be sealed.... Take a look at the 5D3.... it's a sealed camera, yet look at the shell.... more holes than swiss cheese. just because it is a metal body does not mean that it is electromagneticly sealed.

Actually, the body being "swiss cheese" does not really have anything to do with whether it is capable of shielding EM radiation or not. Look up "Faraday Cage" to learn more about EM shielding. A Faraday cage or shield only works with conductive materials, and since magnesium is not really conductive (base charge of +2, so it is missing electrons, rather than having extra electrons it can "give up" as required for conductivity), it probably doesn't offer much at all in the way of shielding itself. The bulk of EM shielding in a DSLR is probably internal...simple "swiss cheese" plates and caps made out of conducting material with small holes to allow thermal venting around anything that might give off undesired EM frequencies (or behave poorly if it encounters random EM frequencies) are probably found all over the electronics inside the body.

The easiest demonstration of the concept is your microwave oven. Ever wonder why your brain doesn't fry while you watch your food cook? Ever wonder why the window into the microwave has that annoying "swiss cheese" screen behind it? Faraday cage. It saves your life every time you nuke something. ;P
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 19, 2013, 10:17:54 PM »
Wah... so much interest in 7D2. Is this interest real? Or is it all web talk? :D

Anyway, I am only curious about the performance of image sensor on 7D2: both in terms of high ISO as well as low ISO. Rumors have it Sony is releasing a 20 MP APS-C camera soon with state-of-the-art dynamic range.

I have already replaced my entire APS-C collection with m43/FF stuff. Only a passing interest for me.

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 19, 2013, 10:25:37 PM »

Actually, the body being "swiss cheese" does not really have anything to do with whether it is capable of shielding EM radiation or not. Look up "Faraday Cage" to learn more about EM shielding. A Faraday cage or shield only works with conductive materials, and since magnesium is not really conductive (base charge of +2, so it is missing electrons, rather than having extra electrons it can "give up" as required for conductivity), it probably doesn't offer much at all in the way of shielding itself. The bulk of EM shielding in a DSLR is probably internal...simple "swiss cheese" plates and caps made out of conducting material with small holes to allow thermal venting around anything that might give off undesired EM frequencies (or behave poorly if it encounters random EM frequencies) are probably found all over the electronics inside the body.

The easiest demonstration of the concept is your microwave oven. Ever wonder why your brain doesn't fry while you watch your food cook? Ever wonder why the window into the microwave has that annoying "swiss cheese" screen behind it? Faraday cage. It saves your life every time you nuke something. ;P

Check out Mu metal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu-metal

Used this in a prototype sensor device I worked on in college. Neat stuff. Nowhere near as effective as a faraday cage or granule/fibre based Isotropic field dispersion, but when you need to stick a sensor out to read something and not have th electronics cooked it worked GREAT. The granule/fibre system is neat because it can be a spray on material like a truck bed liner.

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »

Very few pieces of consumer gear are (edit - fully ) shielded. Microwaves are one of the few... and even at that, it's a partial shield.... we can tell it's on from 500 feet away. I can pick up the photocopier two buildings away, can see PC's, can READ flatscreen monitors in the next room, etc etc etc.... If I get time tomorrow I should take a peek at my camera and see what it is broadcasting. It helps to have the next generation of  http://www.crc.gc.ca/en/html/crc/home/research/satcom/signal_processing/spectrum_explorer/spectrum_explorer sitting in the next room......

I don't have to look up faraday cage, I work in one.

I showed the picture of the swiss cheese body because in earlier threads people were saying that you couldn't use wifi or gps on a metal body because you would have to make a hole in the metal and that would ruin the seal.... and wanted to show that a sealed body has a great many holes in the body.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:55:09 PM by Don Haines »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »

scuba_steve

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2013, 10:37:25 PM »
Wow, this thread escalated quickly.   :)

Obviously haven't read everything, but my only gripe is that I can't buy this now.  I can live with that price for those features.  These specs, if accurate, are targeted right at me - a non-pro who takes A LOT of indoor sports photography...and who doesn't want to go to a 5D Mk3 and lose 1) the reach of my 70-200 f2.8 II or 2) my walk around EF-S 17-55 f2.8

Bring it on.  Take my money!   :)

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #179 on: February 19, 2013, 10:40:25 PM »

Very few pieces of consumer gear are shielded. Microwaves are one of the few... and even at that, it's a partial shield.... we can tell it's on from 500 feet away. I can pick up the photocopier two buildings away, can see PC's, can READ flatscreen monitors in the next room, etc etc etc.... If I get time tomorrow I should take a peek at my camera and see what it is broadcasting. It helps to have the next generation of  http://www.crc.gc.ca/en/html/crc/home/research/satcom/signal_processing/spectrum_explorer/spectrum_explorer sitting in the next room......

I don't have to look up faraday cage, I work in one.

There are plenty of consumer-grade devices with shielding. Cell phones, wifi/4G tablets, pretty much anything that transmits or receives wireless signals is shielded in some way, and there are a gazillion consumer-grade devices like that. A mobile phone with some internal shielding (although it is not always actually "swiss cheese"...sometimes it is just a solid metal plate):

I showed the picture of the swiss cheese body because in earlier threads people were saying that you couldn't use wifi or gps on a metal body because you would have to make a hole in the metal and that would ruin the seal.... and wanted to show that a sealed body has a great many holes in the body.

Ah, well, misinterpretation on my part. I agree, punching a hole in the body for an antenna is nothing, and sealing it back up should be fairly easy if it was indeed done.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #179 on: February 19, 2013, 10:40:25 PM »