December 19, 2014, 05:54:52 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]  (Read 73639 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]
« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2013, 10:52:52 PM »

There are plenty of consumer-grade devices with shielding. Cell phones, wifi/4G tablets, pretty much anything that transmits or receives wireless signals is shielded in some way, and there are a gazillion consumer-grade devices like that. A mobile phone with some internal shielding (although it is not always actually "swiss cheese"...sometimes it is just a solid metal plate):

Ah, well, misinterpretation on my part. I agree, punching a hole in the body for an antenna is nothing, and sealing it back up should be fairly easy if it was indeed done.

That's ok...it also means that I did not explain myself well enough.... Just like above when I meant to say "fully shielded" but said "shielded". OOPS!

BTW, thanks for the chickadee advice... Picked up a blind... Ordered the cd book.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2013, 10:52:52 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2013, 10:58:53 PM »

There are plenty of consumer-grade devices with shielding. Cell phones, wifi/4G tablets, pretty much anything that transmits or receives wireless signals is shielded in some way, and there are a gazillion consumer-grade devices like that. A mobile phone with some internal shielding (although it is not always actually "swiss cheese"...sometimes it is just a solid metal plate):

Ah, well, misinterpretation on my part. I agree, punching a hole in the body for an antenna is nothing, and sealing it back up should be fairly easy if it was indeed done.

That's ok...it also means that I did not explain myself well enough.... Just like above when I meant to say "fully shielded" but said "shielded". OOPS!

BTW, thanks for the chickadee advice... Picked up a blind... Ordered the cd book.....

Y/W!

The blind should really help! Sometimes I just spend time watching bird behavior, without taking photos. It is interesting when you just sit and get deeper into bird behavior...you start learning the quirks of each species, some of the meaning behind their little "conversations", etc. It can get pretty interesting, and sometimes quite hilarious. I've noticed that one of the house finches...and orange morph variety...has quite the attitude. When he shows up, he bullies all the juncos, sparrows, finches, and chickadees away and pretty much "owns" the feed box. :D Funny creatures, birds! Although, when you boil it all down...not all that different from us.  :P

I really can't wait till spring hits, and I can try out some more interesting perches. The CD books are great, but I've only been able to apply a tiny amount of that knowledge so far.

LoneRider

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2013, 11:01:09 PM »
But physics, are well, pretty much set in stone.

Crop sensors will always have a smaller surface area for each pixel; but allow for less expensive lens.

that holds true if you compare sensor technology from the same generation.

that does not mean an improved APS-C sensor can not be better then an older FF sensor.

I completely agree with you. I am expecting much better IOS/Noise performance over the current 7D.

Already warned the other half of the budget committee :-)

On a side note, I am very happy with the current resolution. If there is a sensor choice to be made, PLEASE, pick the best sensor for reduced noise, color richness, and ISO performance. I do not need more pixels. But I really want much less noise!

If the noise is not significantly reduced, then, well, I guess the $2k can go to another hobby.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:08:31 PM by LoneRider »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2013, 11:10:18 PM »
Sorry, a little off topic.  Anyone know what Canon camera is in this below linked picture?  Never seen one with the red piece by the hotshoe.  Looks like a 7D is why I am posting on this thread. 

http://500px.com/photo/26318243

Update:Even more suspicious is the Canon logo has been removed, this has a pop-up flash and looks to be in new condition.  Can't place the lens either the more I look at this - size wise looks like the 85mm 1.2 but the bulge appears different by the camera mount from the current 85,1.2???

Could it be a 7D with some red thingy stuck on by the flash shoe?
Nothing else out there for sale now that it could be.

I cant really figure out why I am saying this but it seems like a cut paste photoshop job. It seems to me that camera was inserted in the photo in post...

gunship01

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2013, 11:10:38 PM »
They could have made this a FF!!!

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2013, 11:12:44 PM »

No... that misses the point entirely.

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2013, 11:14:59 PM »
But physics, are well, pretty much set in stone.

Crop sensors will always have a smaller surface area for each pixel; but allow for less expensive lens.

that holds true if you compare sensor technology from the same generation.

that does not mean an improved APS-C sensor can not be better then an older FF sensor.

Already warned the other half of the budget committee :-)

For all the detractors of being single, one thing I will say about it: There is no budget committee.  :P

If the noise is not significantly reduced, then, well, I guess the $2k can go to another hobby.

Ditto, although in my case, I'd probably just pick up the 5D III. The IQ that I've seen from the 5D III so far is just phenomenal, and I never fail to be surprised by how much lower the noise is at ISO 1600, 3200, even 6400 than my current 7D. I plan to pick one up anyway, however if the 7D II doesn't impress on the sensor tech front, with low noise and all that...I'll just get the 5D III sooner.

No... that misses the point entirely.

Completely.

The entire point is REACH! GIVE ME MY REACH!! (Of course, of the BigMP camera actually does show up at 47mp and has a 6fps frame rate...that just might be the perfect camera!)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2013, 11:14:59 PM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
how can a 7d be professional, and a 6d be semi professional? the numbers literally dont add up!    surely a FF camera has to be better than an aps-c in terms of spec.  9 af points vs 61 is just crazy!!
Why not?
APS-H is not full frame, but it was considered a professional camera compared to a full frame like a 5D ... so it is possible to make an APS-C camera that can be considered a professional camera, especially for budget conscious sports photographers if the 7D II has 10 fps and all the other goodies that were mentioned.

there has to be something wrong with the cheaper camera having better af and a better housing to protect it, whatever the size of the sensor.

Don't underestimate the cost of an FF sensor. They are still almost 4x the area of an APS-C. Also, the 7D has classically had a higher frame rate, and if the "trend" holds true, it will be 2fps less than the FF 1D series flagship. At 24mp, no matter how good the sensor is (unless its got about 80-90% Q.E., which I HIGHLY doubt), it will most certainly be noiser than the 5D III. The much larger pixel area of the 5D III will always give it the edge in terms of IQ. The 5D III will also have other benefits, such as thinner DOF thanks to the larger FoV (allowing closer focus), etc.

The two cameras are designed for different audiences. The 5D III is still going to be the king of general purpose cameras, hands down. The 7D II will fill more of a niche market of wildlife photographers who want extra reach in a lighter package, but I wouldn't call it a real "general purpose" camera like the 5D III. I'd look to a 5D III for portraiture, landscapes, pretty much everything outside of wildlife and birds, and even then...if I have the opportunity to get closer, such as when photographing songbirds in my yard, I'll grab the 5D III and telephoto lens like the 600 f/4 without a TC. Better boke, closer focus, and frame-filling such that the 7D would clip the subjects.

No no no no. 7d is THE general purpose camera for MANY!!

aroo

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2013, 11:28:54 PM »

7D is indeed THE camera. If Mark II keeps the wireless flash trigger and loses the pop-up... I wouldn't mind that too much.

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 19, 2013, 11:48:23 PM »

7D is indeed THE camera. If Mark II gets the Radio flash trigger and loses the pop-up... I wouldn't mind that too much.

Fixed=)

Robert Welch

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 19, 2013, 11:59:16 PM »
What strikes me odd is if Canon makes this camera, it would mean their highest MP camera would be an APS-C format body, not full frame. That just doesn't sound logical, why would they do that? This camera would have a pixel density equal to a 61mp full frame camera, that is far beyond the resolving power of most lenses. I doubt this camera would really come anywhere close to the IQ of the 5DmkIII, that is just wishful thinking, at any ISO.

Woody

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 20, 2013, 12:09:05 AM »
This camera would have a pixel density equal to a 61mp full frame camera, that is far beyond the resolving power of most lenses. I doubt this camera would really come anywhere close to the IQ of the 5DmkIII

Doesn't this answer your own question? :D

Nothing odd about APS-C having more pixels than FF. Happened several years ago when Canon's own compact cameras have more pixels than their APS-C DSLR offerings.

weixing

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 20, 2013, 12:25:47 AM »
Hi,
What strikes me odd is if Canon makes this camera, it would mean their highest MP camera would be an APS-C format body, not full frame. That just doesn't sound logical, why would they do that? This camera would have a pixel density equal to a 61mp full frame camera, that is far beyond the resolving power of most lenses. I doubt this camera would really come anywhere close to the IQ of the 5DmkIII, that is just wishful thinking, at any ISO.
    This DSLR is not aim at user who image quality is their highest priority... get FF DSLR for that.

Basically, "Image Quality, Performance & Built and Price"... choose 2 of them:
1) If you want image quality and better price, performance & built will not be good -> Canon 6D
2) If you want image quality and performance & built, price will be high -> Canon 1Dx.
3) If you want performance & built and better price, image quality will not be as good -> Canon 7D.

Anyway, base on my "eyeball" compare, 6D is 2 stop better than 7D in noise performance, so if this DSLR can have 1 stop better than current 7D, I'll be happy.

Have a nice day.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #192 on: February 20, 2013, 12:25:47 AM »

Marsu42

• ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #193 on: February 20, 2013, 01:11:13 AM »
7D is indeed THE camera.

The next Canon gear is often predicted to be THE camera or lens, but it doesn't work this way with Canon (or the leopard has changed his shorts): Either the price is extremely high or there are built-in problems, the 7d2 will not be a mini-1dx (i.e. 1dx with lower iso performance) for €2000 for sure. But this is a rumor site, so dreaming is encouraged :-p

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2013, 01:11:32 AM »
I don't get how it can feature "5dMkIII build quality" and GPS. Wasn't the reason for the partial weather sealing of the 6D that GPS needs a polycarbonate top for signal reception and can't use a full metal shell like the 1D?

Not all metal is the same.... Some metals are really good at blocking RF and others just do a so-so job. Also, the antenna can be outside of the metal body and it can still be sealed.... Take a look at the 5D3.... it's a sealed camera, yet look at the shell.... more holes than swiss cheese. just because it is a metal body does not mean that it is electromagneticly sealed.

EDIT: and it can talk to a wireless flash....

Actually, the body being "swiss cheese" does not really have anything to do with whether it is capable of shielding EM radiation or not. Look up "Faraday Cage" to learn more about EM shielding. A Faraday cage or shield only works with conductive materials, and since magnesium is not really conductive (base charge of +2, so it is missing electrons, rather than having extra electrons it can "give up" as required for conductivity), it probably doesn't offer much at all in the way of shielding itself. The bulk of EM shielding in a DSLR is probably internal...simple "swiss cheese" plates and caps made out of conducting material with small holes to allow thermal venting around anything that might give off undesired EM frequencies (or behave poorly if it encounters random EM frequencies) are probably found all over the electronics inside the body.

The easiest demonstration of the concept is your microwave oven. Ever wonder why your brain doesn't fry while you watch your food cook? Ever wonder why the window into the microwave has that annoying "swiss cheese" screen behind it? Faraday cage. It saves your life every time you nuke something. ;P

You know I have been feeling kind of strange every since I replaced that nasty window on my microwave with a clear pane of glass. This may explain a lot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2013, 01:11:32 AM »