November 27, 2014, 11:37:19 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]  (Read 71489 times)

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]
« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2013, 05:27:35 AM »
I think both of you guys are greatly underestimating the resolving power of Canon's new Mark II generation of lenses. According to my experiences renting many of them, they are unbelievably sharp...far sharper than necessary to completely resolve detail for the 18mp APS-C sensor. I wouldn't be surprised if they were good enough to resolve just enough detail for a 24mp APS-C (which, again, would be ideal from an AA filter standpoint...it wouldn't need to be all that strong), and plenty good enough for 40-50mp FF sensors.

What?  The difference in resolving power between 18MP and 24MP is nothing - 15%.  The gap between these lenses and the 18MP sensor is more like 200%.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2013, 05:27:35 AM »

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #211 on: February 20, 2013, 05:35:53 AM »
[size=78%]You know I have been feeling kind of strange every since I replaced that nasty window on my microwave with a clear pane of glass. This may explain a lot.[/size]
Hmm, this reminded me, that recently, when I turn on our microwave oven, the kitchen transistor radio craps out... This event coincides with the oven timer moving at a factor 5 speed...
No structural defects are visible, but I seem to recall something about a hole turning into an antenna at a certain size? Better get a new microwave (or maybe a 5D between the two... or maybe a fully shielded FM radio?)
Sry bout the off topic..
This thread has made me nervous for some odd reason :)

5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

Happy viking

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 20, 2013, 06:11:45 AM »
To make everybody happy canon would have to make a 1 000 000 megapixel camera with a medium format sensor that can use EF lenses and can manage noise free images at iso 2 000 000, and it should cost below 100$. But thats just not how it works.

I beleve the mk II will be a good supstitute for the 7D. And if it can deliver cleaner files at ISO 3200 i will buy one  I love my 7D as a backup for the 5d mkIII :)

jimjamesjimmy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 20, 2013, 08:22:03 AM »
so the 6d is 'entry level'   yet the 7d 2 is high end.
doesnt want to make me buy the 6d anymore! :(
Is that how you make your buying decisions? :o

oh yeah i base most of my major purchases on tags given to products by people on forums!

what do you think?

iim at a place now where a higher end camera would be good for my photos,im just making the point that i dont see myself as an entry level camera kind of guy. obviously if it does its job thats fine, i just dont like that tag.

gecko

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 20, 2013, 08:50:16 AM »
Seems like a good model to re-introduce the eye-controlled AF.
EOS 3, 7D, 5DII, EF 17-40 f4L, EF 100-400 f4-5.6L,  TS-E 24 f3.5 II, Zeiss 21.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 20, 2013, 09:08:30 AM »
im just making the point that i dont see myself as an entry level camera kind of guy. obviously if it does its job thats fine, i just dont like that tag.

It's all relative.  The Canon C100 is an 'entry-level' cinema camera, even though it costs about the same as the EOS 1D X flagship dSLR. 

The 6D is Canon's entry-level full frame camera, but that doesn't make it an entry level camera any more than being the least expensive Ferrari makes the Ferrari California an 'entry-level' sportscar. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jimjamesjimmy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2013, 09:17:40 AM »
im just making the point that i dont see myself as an entry level camera kind of guy. obviously if it does its job thats fine, i just dont like that tag.

It's all relative.  The Canon C100 is an 'entry-level' cinema camera, even though it costs about the same as the EOS 1D X flagship dSLR. 

The 6D is Canon's entry-level full frame camera, but that doesn't make it an entry level camera any more than being the least expensive Ferrari makes the Ferrari California an 'entry-level' sportscar.

yeah all very true and you are right of course,  dont you get that feeling though that people who are into cameras and photography look down on the 6d a bit? it doenst bother me but i get a that feeling a little, for some reason everyone loves the 7 series, or at least accept it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2013, 09:17:40 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2013, 09:47:35 AM »
yeah all very true and you are right of course,  dont you get that feeling though that people who are into cameras and photography look down on the 6d a bit? it doenst bother me but i get a that feeling a little, for some reason everyone loves the 7 series, or at least accept it.

There's something to what you say, and there's a historical basis.  Previously, there were only two FF cameras - the 1DsIII and the 5DII.  There wasn't really an 'entry level' per se, but everyone knew the 5DII was 'gimped' relative to the 1DsIII in every way but IQ, particularly in the AF department.  Now, we have three current FF bodies, and the 6D is really closer to the 5DII in performance - AF is ok, but far short of the 5DIII.  But 3 levels of product allows a conceptual separation and gives us an 'entry-level' in the category.  The APS-C camera market has more levels, and the 7D is at the top of the heap.

Really, it's all about horses for courses.  The 6D is a great camera that delivers top IQ for landscapes, portraits, basically things that don't move fast.  The 7D is a great camera that delivers good IQ in decent light with static and fast-moving subjects.  The 5DIII combines the performance of the 7D with the IQ of the 6D, making it a truly great all-around camera.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

2n10

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2013, 10:37:09 AM »
To make everybody happy canon would have to make a 1 000 000 megapixel camera with a medium format sensor that can use EF lenses and can manage noise free images at iso 2 000 000, and it should cost below 100$. But thats just not how it works.

I beleve the mk II will be a good supstitute for the 7D. And if it can deliver cleaner files at ISO 3200 i will buy one  I love my 7D as a backup for the 5d mkIII :)

You still couldn't make everyone happy.  The camera isn't free or they are not getting paid to take the camera and the specs are not ridiculously unbelievable.  Besides some poeple are not happy unless they are bitching.
Canon EOS 7D Mark II and EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 20, 2013, 11:32:36 AM »

They are tools. I doubt people who are "into" photography look down on it. As I stated before the 6D is an amazing tool, nothing more and in all honesty if/when my 5d2 dies I will consider a 6d as a backup FF. Three reasons: Good price, Similar IQ and amazing low light performance to my 5d3.

On the 7D front.. I know at least 5 amateur sports photographers who got their careers off the ground using that body and two event/wedding photographers. I got 2.5 years, a 25 foot fall into a snow bank (survived), sunk to the bottom of a river in a pelican box for an hour, A cat who seems to think EVERY time I went to change a lens on the camera at home he HAD to be right there, dropped into a still warm fire pit on a hike I did and close to 215k shutter out of that body. The damn thing was a TANK and I squeezed every penny out of the body. It is at Canon right now being prepared for a proper 7D funeral... Shot into the sun and returned with a minor scuff on the body in perfect working order.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #220 on: February 20, 2013, 11:40:38 AM »

They are tools. I doubt people who are "into" photography look down on it. As I stated before the 6D is an amazing tool, nothing more and in all honesty if/when my 5d2 dies I will consider a 6d as a backup FF. Three reasons: Good price, Similar IQ and amazing low light performance to my 5d3.

On the 7D front.. I know at least 5 amateur sports photographers who got their careers off the ground using that body and two event/wedding photographers. I got 2.5 years, a 25 foot fall into a snow bank (survived), sunk to the bottom of a river in a pelican box for an hour, A cat who seems to think EVERY time I went to change a lens on the camera at home he HAD to be right there, dropped into a still warm fire pit on a hike I did and close to 215k shutter out of that body. The damn thing was a TANK and I squeezed every penny out of the body. It is at Canon right now being prepared for a proper 7D funeral... Shot into the sun and returned with a minor scuff on the body in perfect working order.

The 7D is indeed beast. Mine have been rained on, snowed on, sanded on, saltwater wave washed, and tortured in as many ways else as humanly possible. And they still survive! But, you have the award: "Most Damage done to a 7D"!
What is truth?

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2013, 11:45:11 AM »

If I were into landscape photography, I would already have a 6D. Bang for the buck wise, I think it's the best deal out there for a Canon camera.... FF or APS-C. Anyone who looks down on you because of what gear you have is a snob who does not understand that the person holding the camera is FAR FAR FAR more important than the camera. The nicest digital picture that I have ever taken was with a 2.1 megapixel point/shoot camera... the important factors were the time, place, and composition.

I was recently driving home from Montreal around sunset with a friend who was taking pictures out of a moving car's window with an iPad as it started to get dark. When we got back and she showed me the pictures I was amazed... you could have shown them in a photographic exhibition. That's a real photographer!
The best camera is the one in your hands

jimjamesjimmy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 20, 2013, 11:50:39 AM »

The 7D is indeed beast. Mine have been rained on, snowed on, sanded on, saltwater wave washed, and tortured in as many ways else as humanly possible. And they still survive! But, you have the award: "Most Damage done to a 7D"!

i was stupidly wading shoulder deep in the calmest water in mexico with my canon 400d to take a picture of the flat water, i inevitably dunked it for a second  after loosing my footing, completely under.luckily it was 40 degrees so i turned it off and left it in the sun for 2 days, thats was 2 years ago, still works fine!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #222 on: February 20, 2013, 11:50:39 AM »

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 20, 2013, 12:02:31 PM »

I think my cat caused more damage in all honesty then anything else.

Robert Welch

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 20, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »
This camera would have a pixel density equal to a 61mp full frame camera, that is far beyond the resolving power of most lenses.

Grrrrr....would people quit saying entirely wrong stuff like that please?  First of all resolving power doesn't work like that.  Second, even if it did the better lenses can already resolve up into the many hundreds of megapixels on full frame.

Yes, but diffraction softness at this pixel density starts to become a problem, get up to f/5.6 or higher and you start loosing sharpness.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #224 on: February 20, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »