April 19, 2014, 09:30:16 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]  (Read 56476 times)

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]
« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2013, 12:13:07 PM »
I agree with the others who have pointed out that people who are truly into photography don't give a rat's rear about what market segment their gear supposedly fits into.

before the 6D came along, the 5D Mark II was Canon's "entry-level" full frame camera. despite being "entry-level" in marketing-land, in photography-land the camera was a heavyweight champion and there are tons of working professionals who shot award-winning, top-flight work with that camera.

buying a camera should never come down to whether or not you want the top grade APS-C or the cheapest FF. it should be about what you want to shoot, how you want to do it, and which camera will do the most out of the things you want it to. if you're picking a camera because you're worried about how people will judge you for it, you need to work on your mental game and focus on what matters - the image.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2013, 12:13:07 PM »

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 20, 2013, 12:13:20 PM »
im just making the point that i dont see myself as an entry level camera kind of guy. obviously if it does its job thats fine, i just dont like that tag.
The 6D is Canon's entry-level full frame camera, but that doesn't make it an entry level camera any more than being the least expensive Ferrari makes the Ferrari California an 'entry-level' sportscar.

yeah all very true and you are right of course,  dont you get that feeling though that people who are into cameras and photography look down on the 6d a bit? it doenst bother me but i get a that feeling a little, for some reason everyone loves the 7 series, or at least accept it.
If I were into landscape photography, I would already have a 6D. Bang for the buck wise, I think it's the best deal out there for a Canon camera.... FF or APS-C. Anyone who looks down on you because of what gear you have is a snob who does not understand that the person holding the camera is FAR FAR FAR more important than the camera. The nicest digital picture that I have ever taken was with a 2.1 megapixel point/shoot camera... the important factors were the time, place, and composition.

I was recently driving home from Montreal around sunset with a friend who was taking pictures out of a moving car's window with an iPad as it started to get dark. When we got back and she showed me the pictures I was amazed... you could have shown them in a photographic exhibition. That's a real photographer!

If I were to go heavily into landscape photography I'd get a 1Ds Mark III and try for one around $2500.  While I agree the person behind the camera is very important, with digital the equipment does begin to matter, especially with lens improvements and sensor technology rapidly developing, as opposed to the film era.  I shoot exactly the same way with my 1DX as I did with a 1D4, and my photos are much better than before, and I have more keepers.  The only difference is the camera.

Dick

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 20, 2013, 12:14:43 PM »
GPS & Wifi + build like 5D Mark III... Is that even possible? Doesn't 7D also have a pop up flash? Would be weird to drop it from Mark II.
EOS 5D Mark III + Sigma 35mm DG + L lenses + other stuff

gunship01

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 20, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »
They could have made this a FF!!!

No... that misses the point entirely.
+1 ... if it is made into a FF, it will cost a small fortune and will be out of reach for many people like me.
If they made this FF this would be a 1D ;)

Copy all.

My point being, Nikon threw out a monster FF at a price point (D800) I would have stood in line for. I am more than happy with my 7D, but if they can make the follow-on 7D for $2100, then surely the tech know-how is out there to enlarge the sensor to FF and sell for $2,500-$2,600 with the same specs stated in the original post. It is not a far stretch to do it IMO.

Though if it is truely a simple issue of it being a 1D with a price of $6,000, they can keep it.

gunship01

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 20, 2013, 12:28:18 PM »
GPS & Wifi + build like 5D Mark III... Is that even possible? Doesn't 7D also have a pop up flash? Would be weird to drop it from Mark II.

Yes, the 7D does have a pop up flash. Proved useful this past weekend.

jrista

• 1D X
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #230 on: February 20, 2013, 12:34:52 PM »
This camera would have a pixel density equal to a 61mp full frame camera, that is far beyond the resolving power of most lenses.

Grrrrr....would people quit saying entirely wrong stuff like that please?  First of all resolving power doesn't work like that.  Second, even if it did the better lenses can already resolve up into the many hundreds of megapixels on full frame.

Yes, but diffraction softness at this pixel density starts to become a problem, get up to f/5.6 or higher and you start loosing sharpness.

Diffraction is the most misunderstood concept in photography. The notion that diffraction is ever a "problem" is just flat out wrong. Just because diffraction starts earlier with smaller pixels does NOT mean you are resolving less detail. The amount of detail resolved by the lens is fixed, and independent of the sensor. Assuming a 24mp sensor outresolves the lens while an 18mp sensor does not, no matter how you slice it, even when diffraction blur starts, the 24mp is and always will be resolving more detail than the 18mp. If you scale the 24mp sensor image down to 18mp image size without any additional processing, the 24mp will always be sharper (assuming focus, aperture, etc. were all configured identically between the two cameras.)

Diffraction is the fault of the lens, not the sensor...both the 24mp and 18mp sensors are experiencing the exact same amount of softening due to diffraction...it is simply that the 18mp is PHYSICALLY INCAPABLE of actually demonstrating that fact, while the 24mp IS CAPABLE. A 22mp sensor would be somewhat capable of showing you that diffraction, however it would not be as good as the 24mp, and still, no matter how you slice it, the 24mp sensor (all other factors being equal) would STILL be resolving more detail, even if its slightly softer than the 22mp. Even if that additional detail just means the circumference of the blur circle is better defined.

I really have to emphasize this: In no way, ever, can diffraction produce worse results on a higher resolution sensor than a lower resolution sensor. EVER. Even if, at 100% crop, the detail looks a little soft on the higher resolution image, it will in the worst case be just as good as the lower resolution sensor on a size-normal basis, and in the majority case normalizing size will always make the higher resolution image look better than one taken with a lower resolution sensor.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 20, 2013, 01:19:52 PM »
if these are the specs, i'd happily pick one up

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #231 on: February 20, 2013, 01:19:52 PM »

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 20, 2013, 01:35:11 PM »

+1 ... if it is made into a FF, it will cost a small fortune and will be out of reach for many people like me.

Copy all.

My point being, Nikon threw out a monster FF at a price point (D800) I would have stood in line for. I am more than happy with my 7D, but if they can make the follow-on 7D for $2100, then surely the tech know-how is out there to enlarge the sensor to FF and sell for $2,500-$2,600 with the same specs stated in the original post. It is not a far stretch to do it IMO.

Though if it is truely a simple issue of it being a 1D with a price of $6,000, they can keep it.

It is not a tech/know how thing. The 7D is what it is because of the crop factor that is SO very useful. I own a 7D and 5d3 + 200 f/2 and 400 f/2.8 II that I use for the majority of my shooting. I effectively have 4 focal lengths (200 320 400 and 640) that I find VERY useful with 2 bodies and 2 lenses. A FF 7D MkII would remove this from my stable and force me to buy TC's I don't want to own, swap up to a 1DIV (big consideration) or buy a gently used 7D (which canon does not want) to maintain that 1.6 factor. If you want a FF 7D, buy a 5DMk3. The specs (other then the FPS.. which I bet will be limited to 8 with AF) are very similar.

jimjamesjimmy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 20, 2013, 01:43:28 PM »

Copy all.

It is not a tech/know how thing. The 7D is what it is because of the crop factor that is SO very useful. I own a 7D and 5d3 + 200 f/2 and 400 f/2.8 II that I use for the majority of my shooting. I effectively have 4 focal lengths (200 320 400 and 640) that I find VERY useful with 2 bodies and 2 lenses. A FF 7D MkII would remove this from my stable and force me to buy TC's I don't want to own, swap up to a 1DIV (big consideration) or buy a gently used 7D (which canon does not want) to maintain that 1.6 factor. If you want a FF 7D, buy a 5DMk3. The specs (other then the FPS.. which I bet will be limited to 8 with AF) are very similar.

maybe the ideal solution is to one day get rid of aps-c altogether and just have  more compact cheaper long lenses that mortals can afford. cuts out a whole industry lol  but would make things more focused.

tortilla

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 20, 2013, 01:51:01 PM »
I really have to emphasize this: In no way, ever, can diffraction produce worse results on a higher resolution sensor than a lower resolution sensor. EVER.

I still doubt that 24 MPixel will deliver higher resolution at f/8 and smaller apertures than 18 MPixel. But I agree, it won't be worse either.

The biggest advantage of high MPixel sensors is IMO that they deliver more information that can be used for denoising and getting cleaner images at high ISO.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:53:36 PM by tortilla »

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 20, 2013, 01:52:16 PM »
maybe the ideal solution is to one day get rid of aps-c altogether and just have  more compact cheaper long lenses that mortals can afford. cuts out a whole industry lol  but would make things more focused.

But that's the reason for APS-C in the first place.... :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

Dick

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 20, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »

maybe the ideal solution is to one day get rid of aps-c altogether

Doesn't sound too sound. Business is business. I bet that if Canon wanted to, it could sell FF bodies for less. Selling APS-C bodies as the cheap alternative is a great way to make additional money out of FF bodies. Focusing purely on larger sensors could actually lower profits. Most cash is surely made with the cheap stuff anyway.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:56:24 PM by Dick »
EOS 5D Mark III + Sigma 35mm DG + L lenses + other stuff

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 20, 2013, 01:59:51 PM »
As Don stated:

But that's the reason for APS-C in the first place.... :)

APS-C has saved me about $15000 in not having to buy a 300 f/2.8 and 600 f/4 to fill those gaps on FF, made my gear bag two lenses lighter while working and been a solid workhorse/survive all the stupid things I do on a daily basis.

Edit: Until last weak when my 7D died.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:14:30 PM by RMC33 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #237 on: February 20, 2013, 01:59:51 PM »

jrista

• 1D X
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #238 on: February 20, 2013, 02:08:30 PM »
I really have to emphasize this: In no way, ever, can diffraction produce worse results on a higher resolution sensor than a lower resolution sensor. EVER.

I still doubt that 24 MPixel will deliver higher resolution at f/8 and smaller apertures than 18 MPixel. But I agree, it won't be worse either.

The biggest advantage of high MPixel sensors is IMO that they deliver more information that can be used for denoising and getting cleaner images at high ISO.

Once you are below the DLA of the lower-resolution sensor, you won't get any more "resolution", however the detail resolved should still look better on the higher resolution sensor, as it will be more finely delinted. Beyond the DLA, you experience diminishing returns...that means things could still look better, however as you approach the minimum aperture of the lens, the improvements of the higher resolution sensor over the lower resolution sensor will diminish (not disappear, just diminish).

All of the current APS-C sensors are diffraction-limited by f/8, however diffraction is still so low at that point that it rarely matters unless you really need to resolve something with obscenely fine detail (i.e. you want to resolve the individual barbules on each barb of a birds feathers at a distance of a few feet...you are going to need something closer to a PERFECT f/4 or wider lens along with the highest resolution sensor you can possibly get your hands on...24.1mp would be pretty excellent in that situation.)
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #239 on: February 20, 2013, 02:17:01 PM »

Yes, the 7D does have a pop up flash. Proved useful this past weekend.

If it has GPS and WiFi won't part of it have to be plastic - so surely build quality would be more like 6D ?

If it does and the plastic proportion is more subtle then the intent with the 6D becomes more clear  ;)

Personally if it was an APS 5D mk3, all alloy with no Horrible cheap weak plastic pop up flash I'd be very tempted !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #239 on: February 20, 2013, 02:17:01 PM »