July 29, 2014, 02:19:49 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]  (Read 63734 times)

DanielW

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Spec List [CR2]
« Reply #270 on: February 20, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »
How harmful would it be for them to pay a small team of photo nerds to surf the web all day and find out what buyers want?

Because people posting in forums are not necessarily buyers, or at least there is hardly any connection between internet opinion and sales, the latest example is the underwhelming but popular 6d.

What happens if you ask buyers about what they want you can as well file for bankruptcy right away like when Homer's brother let him design a car: http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/The_Homer

:)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #270 on: February 20, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 20, 2013, 07:44:16 PM »
How harmful would it be for them to pay a small team of photo nerds to surf the web all day and find out what buyers want?
(Heck, I'd do it for free if they let me try some prototypes every now and then.)

Hey Canon, I want a 1DXs - a 45mp full frame camera with 1DX performance.  Will happily pay up to $1500.  Don't forget to make it EF-S compatable in crop sensor mode.

And how's that Eos-Me going with built in EVF and zippy AF?  I assume we've got some new lenses coming out soon?

PS - Where can I send my invoice for market research work? :)
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

DanielW

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 20, 2013, 07:49:17 PM »
(Heck, I'd do it for free if they let me try some prototypes every now and then.)

Hey Canon, I want a 1DXs - a 45mp full frame camera with 1DX performance.  Will happily pay up to $1500.  Don't forget to make it EF-S compatable in crop sensor mode.

And how's that Eos-Me going with built in EVF and zippy AF?  I assume we've got some new lenses coming out soon?

PS - Where can I send my invoice for market research work? :)

I guess I'm learning it the hard way...  ;D

jrista

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #273 on: February 20, 2013, 07:50:18 PM »
I have read this thread with interest, I have use  Canon cameras  the  10 last years
My own feelings is that this is some kind of  a wish list.
Where can I find some hard  facts about  what is going on with Canon and  theirs new sensor technology or are the using the same old technology but improved as good as it get?

Salta bilar// 7d 5dmk2 5dmk3

CanonRumors is the best place, really. Anything with a CR2 is pretty good information. The only time you will get better information is when CR starts posting CR3 rated rumors, which are, for all intents and purposes, fact.

Thanks a lot
you tell me that this forum  is the best place , but no one have answerered my question,  is this a wish list or is it a reality when it comes to Canons sensors? 24Mp at a APS size and what  is the signal noise ratio with current technology and  the dynamic range compared to others

If I had to guess where the information came from, I would say that, assuming an Aug. 2013 release date is legit, it is one of probably several potential specs, based off of a prototype someone has been using in the field. Whether these are the specs that actually end up in the retail version, no one can say...not until someone actually has a legit retail version in their hands or breaks and NDA.

I wouldn't necessarily say this is just a wish list. If it was CR0/1, definitely a wish list, but since it is a CR2, it could be legitimate information based on pre-release spec sheets, a closed-room session a known source had with canon reps, information based on a prototype version out in the field (potentially second-hand, so the information could be a bit more sketchy if that's the case), etc.

I wouldn't go around stating these specifications as fact, but I wouldn't simply discount them off-hand either. It's a rumor, and its a pretty decent one...the best we have at the moment.

As for the sensor's ISO range, noise quality, dynamic range, etc....no real solid rumors on that yet, so no one can really say. If the sensor is fabricated on Canon's past 500nm process, I wouldn't get my hopes up all that much. You can only push a process so far before you hit a brick wall. I am not really sure what value a 24mp APS-C sensor would have on a 500nm process...the circuitry would consume so much die space relative to the photodiode itself, I can't imagine such a sensor would perform very well in any context. With a 180nm process, that cuts the transistor size down to nearly 1/3rd, leaving you with far more room to dedicate to the photodiode, making APS-C sensors with pixels smaller than 4 microns more realistic.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #274 on: February 20, 2013, 07:56:49 PM »
I wouldn't go around stating these specifications as fact, but I wouldn't simply discount them off-hand either. It's a rumor, and its a pretty decent one...the best we have at the moment.

The question is how the internal Canon decision hierarchy is - it'd be interesting to know, but of course no one will tell. I guess the final say on the gear to be produced is either made by accounting (estimated profit, i.e. mainly production cost flavored with some marketing thoughts) and/or by the top execs if it's a strategic decision.

The recent interview about the 7d2 might let us hope that Canon tries to make a big splash this time to make up for the recent lack of user's enthusiasm, so the 7d2 might really come out with a lot of features at a "reasonable"  price - but then again it might just have been a decoy to gain time because Canon is behind in the sensor race.

mdrewpix

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 20, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
If true, is it me or is the Canon camera lineup getting confused? Used to be that upgrades were real upgrades, and you'd upgrade to get better features for a similar price as you originally paid. Now you're getting more, but paying more, and the difference between the bodies is getting smaller.  :o

Not quite.

Have a look at Thom Hogan's article entitled 'The Last Camera Syndrome'. We are getting there, if not there already.

I'm talking about me personally - I'd love to upgrade, I like to get the latest features and have the money to do it, but Canon just isn't giving me a reason to do it. A high megapixel body would do it though.

On "The Last Camera" yes DSLR's are past the point where you need to continually upgrade I believe. The 5DIII has great metering, great autofocus, great IQ etc. Even the 5DII with it's poor autofocus system is good enough to last me another five years easy. This is why I think Canon needs some big features like new sensor tech to lure us back.

A while back a Canon rep said "users need better pixels, not more pixels". Seems like Nikon is taking them up on that one. And besides they didn't really give us better pixels.

Sorry, but that kind of thinking is just foolish. How much more detail do you really need? And I said need, not want. We already have cameras that out-perfom the hallowed slide films of yore. And this constant foolishness with the Nikon vs Canon debate has to stop. If you can't shoot decent pictures with what's already available then the problem is not with which camera you're using.

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #276 on: February 20, 2013, 08:07:54 PM »

The question is how the internal Canon decision hierarchy is - it'd be interesting to know, but of course no one will tell. I guess the final say on the gear to be produced is either made by accounting (estimated profit, i.e. mainly production cost flavored with some marketing thoughts) and/or by the top execs if it's a strategic decision.

The recent interview about the 7d2 might let us hope that Canon tries to make a big splash this time to make up for the recent lack of user's enthusiasm, so the 7d2 might really come out with a lot of features at a "reasonable"  price - but then again it might just have been a decoy to gain time because Canon is behind in the sensor race.

I really can't say how Canon decides what products to bring to market. I imagine it is a rather complex process with far too many "moving parts". I work at a very large, established company that develops online educational platforms. From the outside things look very simple and cohesive, but decision making processes are extremely complex, usually involve hundreds of people, and take a very long time. :P We have an 80-step process that must be followed to patent anything, that spans at least 7 departments.

Given how large and established Canon is...I'd imagine their decision making processes are fairly similar, at least on the complexity front. Although them being a Japanese company, things are probably more orderly and refined (something the Japanese excel at, where as American companies tend to get mired too deeply into political infighting, empire building, petty squabbling, etc.)
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #276 on: February 20, 2013, 08:07:54 PM »

20Dave

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 20, 2013, 08:32:18 PM »
I really can't say how Canon decides what products to bring to market. I imagine it is a rather complex process with far too many "moving parts". I work at a very large, established company that develops online educational platforms. From the outside things look very simple and cohesive, but decision making processes are extremely complex, usually involve hundreds of people, and take a very long time. :P We have an 80-step process that must be followed to patent anything, that spans at least 7 departments.

Given how large and established Canon is...I'd imagine their decision making processes are fairly similar, at least on the complexity front. Although them being a Japanese company, things are probably more orderly and refined (something the Japanese excel at, where as American companies tend to get mired too deeply into political infighting, empire building, petty squabbling, etc.)

I think that they need to watch out for too many lines cropping up (no pun intended) that makes the buying decision difficult. In the DSLR world, it used to be an easy decision:
xxxD (e.g. 450D, aka Rebel) as the entry level DSLR
1Dx as the professional DSLR
xxD as a little of both worlds

The clear distinctions in terms of price point and functionality made my choice of the 20D very easy.

Now I'm pulling out the precious few hairs that I have left trying to figure out what to get as an upgrade for my aging 20D. I'll never earn a dime with my photos; my preferred subjects are wildlife/birds, but I would love to try landscapes as well. I was thinking 7D for a while, but longing after a 5DIII. I have been holding out hope that the 5DIII would reach a price point where I can mention it to my better half with a straight face. It's starting to get there, but now the 7DII is on the horizon, so I may wait to see what it looks like in terms of specs/price. I keep dragging my feet, and Canon is missing at least one sale (mine) as a result.

[My prediction - I'll buy a 5DIII towards the end of the year unless the 7DII really rocks. I bought my 20D right after the 30D was introduced to take advantage of the price drop.]

Don't get me wrong, it is better for the consumer to have more choices, but with so many options now, I question the ROI on some models. Is the DSLR market really big enough to support so many choices from one company? It's starting to feel like GM of 5-10 years ago.

floex712

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 20, 2013, 09:33:17 PM »
IMO, 20MP would be fine on a crop sensor. As far as wi-fi and GPS go, they can do exactly that, GO. Obviously that would require a non-mag alloy top on the body which eats at build quality. More than anything else I am concerned with fitting 24MP on a crop sensor, but here's hoping.

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #279 on: February 20, 2013, 09:36:10 PM »
IMO, 20MP would be fine on a crop sensor. As far as wi-fi and GPS go, they can do exactly that, GO. Obviously that would require a non-mag alloy top on the body which eats at build quality. More than anything else I am concerned with fitting 24MP on a crop sensor, but here's hoping.

I don't know how many times we'll have to go over this, but magnesium is not a good electromagnetic shield...stuffing GPS and WiFi into a mag body should be fine. I do not believe having a plastic body is a prereq.
My Photography

hmmm

« Reply #280 on: February 21, 2013, 01:30:30 AM »
D7100 in the mix: -- let's take a quick first look -- the D7100 packs high level build, the 51 pt AF of the D4, 15 cross sensors, af to f8 -- improved 24MP sensor with no optical low-pass filter --100% pentamirror viewfinder, SD 2-slots ... seems the D7100 covers a lot of the same ground as the 7D mKII -- but at $1200, not $2200!    :-[

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #281 on: February 21, 2013, 01:40:48 AM »
D7100 in the mix: -- let's take a quick first look

Esp. with the crop mode from aps-c the 24mp d7100 will be a budget sports/wildlife shooter's dream, looking at Canon's latest innovations I somehow doubt that they'll put something equivalent in the 7d2 but more likely they'll try keep selling their tele lenses :-o

1.3x Crop Mode - Sports photographers take note: Building upon the telephoto benefits of the DX-format, the D7100 has the unique ability to shoot in a 1.3x DX crop mode for both stills and HD video. While in this innovative mode, shooters will gain an extra telephoto boost (2X), and a boost in burst speed to seven fps, with 15.4- megapixel resolution. Additionally, while in this mode, the 51-point AF array covers more of the frame, allowing improved subject acquisition and tracking performance through the viewfinder.

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #282 on: February 21, 2013, 01:47:06 AM »
D7100 in the mix: -- let's take a quick first look -- the D7100 packs high level build, the 51 pt AF of the D4, 15 cross sensors, af to f8 -- improved 24MP sensor with no optical low-pass filter --100% pentamirror viewfinder, SD 2-slots ... seems the D7100 covers a lot of the same ground as the 7D mKII -- but at $1200, not $2200!    :-[

Just to keep things in perspective...they've started complaining about it, too!   :o

Quote from: Rebecca Tigris @ NikonRumors
If they seriously think this strategy of making the D4 the only fast camera is going to push everyone to shell out $6k, they're living in fairy land. Can't wait till used D3s's are under $3k.

Quote from: GlobalGuy -> Rebecca Tigris @ NikonRumors
Exactly! I want a low-light camera with high-speed shooting. I don't care about Megapixels and AA filters (very few people do). Low-light (available/non-flash light) shooting is a huge part of photography. How can they focus so much on AA filters?? And the megapixel war should have been over 5 years ago! Give me an 18 MP, 10 FPS, and 12,800 pure-clean ISO.

Quote from: Babs @ NikonRumors
Two SD slots...ugh. I wish it had at least one CF.

Quote from: Gah Leable  -> Babs @ NikonRumors
Yea, cuz everyone loves being stuck back in 2004.

Quote from: 800mm f/2.8 DX VR @ NikonRumors
NR, there are canon 7D2 specs out there. That is proof of a D400.

Quote from: Stephen Hood  -> 800mm f/2.8 DX VR @ NikonRumors
And 6fps will not be enough to compete with the 7D2.

Even Fred Flintstone had something to bitch about it, and all he's used to are stone age stone cameras! :P

Quote from: Fred Flintstone @ NikonRumors
Ergonomics nowhere near as good as a D300/s, owners of D300 will be in tears if this kills the D400 hopes

For all of those who think it's all bliss over in Nikon land...here's a whiff: They bitch and moan just as much as we do, only about the latest and greatest Nikon thingamajig.  ;D

And its so ironic, too...we bitch about having AA filters....they bitch about NOT having them. We bitch about having too many fps...they bitch about none of their cameras competing with the 7D line.

Ah, the ironies. SO MANY IRONIES!
My Photography

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #282 on: February 21, 2013, 01:47:06 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 21, 2013, 02:12:58 AM »
Esp. with the crop mode from aps-c the 24mp d7100 will be a budget sports/wildlife shooter's dream, looking at Canon's latest innovations I somehow doubt that they'll put something equivalent in the 7d2 but more likely they'll try keep selling their tele lenses :-o

I would hardly call 6fps or 7fps a sports shooter's dream. Nice, but hardly dream material, even if you are on a budget.

If the 7D Mark II can really do 10fps then that would be great.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 21, 2013, 02:36:46 AM »

I would hardly call 6fps or 7fps a sports shooter's dream. Nice, but hardly dream material, even if you are on a budget.

If the 7D Mark II can really do 10fps then that would be great.

6 is good in the sticks~

8 is great~

10 and Ben Roethlisberger is your focus~

12 and you get to delve into the land of sports MF~

14 FPS is just plain obscene~

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #284 on: February 21, 2013, 02:36:46 AM »